How exactly do assists work?

I'm trying to figure out how assists work but cannot find information on it:

- What qualifies as granting assists?
- How much gold is gained from assists?
- What if nobody assists?
- Is there a limit to how many heroes can assist?
- Why is it that Ring of the Teacher appears to sometimes grants assists, and sometimes does not?

https://hon.fandom.com/wiki/Gold#Assists There is a Wikia page on it, but it hasn't been updated for years and doesn't give any information about auras.

• Like 1

- What qualifies as granting assists?

Attacking the target or providing auras to the attacker it would seem like

- How much gold is gained from assists?

Maybe ~1/4 depending what the target is worth?

- What if nobody assists?

"Assist gold split to team"

- Is there a limit to how many heroes can assist?

Guess not.

- Why is it that Ring of the Teacher appears to sometimes grants assists, and sometimes does not?

Tried this in practice and Ring would always achieve an assist if the attacker was in range of the aura.

Posted (edited)

Granting buffs to attacking player or debuffs to attacked player should count for getting assist.

For attacking I think it should be that you need to deal at least 10% of hp to get an assist.

Global auras does not grant assists.

So to get assist, all you need to do is to buy Ring of Teacher or Astrolabe and run around the attacking player and boom, you get assist.

Also you can buy the armor which grants -armor debuff to enemies and just run around and you will get assist.

Edit: also note that assists are granted only if the named things happens in like last X seconds before target dies, now I dont know if that time is 5 or 10 seconds.

Edit2: according to wiki it is 20 seconds

Edited by Ceriss

From observations, I think I can add something about the auras:

The aura needs to have an effect to grant an assist. E.g. you can have an astro and run around your team the entire time - if your team is at max hp and no one ever deals damage to them, afaik you don't get an assist. Similar for ring of the teacher - the mana-regen-aura actually looks like it doesn't grant assist, only the armor-aura. So if your ally doesn't get (physical? I'm not sure about it) damage, you don't get an assist.

Additionally I think I remember that you need to aura the one dealing the killing blow, not just anyone. But I can't confirm that from personal observations.

Also I think no one mentioned it yet: But basically every disable/debuff on enemies will grant you an assist as well.

And one more information: If the target revives (e.g. Ra or with a token), your assist is reset. So even if you killed 100% of ra, he respawns with ultimate and you deal no more damage (or debuff) on him - and he dies within a second, you won't get an assist.

So from what I recall, to gain assists one of the following must be true:

• You must have a Debuff (Red) on an enemy.
  • You must have Stunned the enemy.
  • You must have dealt 10% of their maximum life or more in damage.

Additionally, some auras grant Assists despite not affecting enemies:

• Nome's Wisdom, Ring of the Teacher, Lex Tallionis, Abyssal seem to grant it
  • Astrolabe seems to grant it

Some global abilities (such as Rampage Stampede Q) grant it as well (try Brass Knuckles on him for Global Assist hilarity).

All of these must be within 20 seconds of the hero dying.

You should note though that many States (Blue) don't grant assists inherently, but can grant Assists if they deal enough damage, are tagged to, or Stun/Disable.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, Manu311 said:

So if your ally doesn't get (physical? I'm not sure about it) damage, you don't get an assist.

This can easily be verified in practice mode, and you're wrong.

Posted (edited)

Also targeting skills that form some kind of bond between you and the player give assists even if no damage is dealt. 
For example charge by rampage or (I think)  Kanes ulti.

In the past ramps charge was a debuff - I think (and obviously it still sights you) but that was removed so that you dont know that youre charged. But maybe its still there programming wise?

Edited by Ondis