Posted (edited)

I'll spare you the paragraph about my HoN history and go straight to the point.
Create a subscription of 5 bucks a month where the subscriber has:
- Monthly access to all skins and game stuffs purchasable with silver.
- Monthly access to unlock all past game feature events, all the limited time skins and whatnot.
- A higher silver reward per match so we can spend them in non-skin stuff
- 5-10 plinko ticket per day
- RAP ticket priority

You may create an in-game poll and a forum poll (I've used the forums some 20 times in the past 10 years, so not a lot) and see if people would be interested.

Edit: FB staff, you could plan a feature set to fix the ladder match ups (a reputation system so people are actually encouraged to finish games and not troll) and start a kickstart.
Edit: This is a 12 yo game and we have seasoned people who to some extent should be able to mentor the very few new players. Older players should have at least 60% in skill and game awareness of what's needed to do very well in a match. This, however, doesn't happened in 2021.

Edited by RideMyRod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Posted (edited)

Id pay 5 bucks for a subscription for this if it also included an ability to filter out players with less than 100 games or something like this as cosmetics arent my thing really.  

But yeah, in general I like this concept from a player perspective. I just wonder if developers think they make more money from whales (and the occassional normal player spending a few bucks a year)  or if they think they could make as much or more money using this model.

We had this discussion on the Hearthstone forum (Blizzard card collecting game ) and the conclusion was that Blizzard would be losing on it. But this is different. 

Also this is at best an interesting discussion. I can guarantee that EU will not implement this and even if he wanted to and it could make business sense it would have to go through Garena which would never happen. 

Edited by Ondis
13 hours ago, Ondis said:

Also this is at best an interesting discussion. I can guarantee that EU will not implement this and even if he wanted to and it could make business sense it would have to go through Garena which would never happen. 

Remember when Maliken used this pay2play scheme and failed miserably? Pepperidge Farm Remembers!!

It's not "pay2play", but rather something like "pay 2 have some nice visual perks no one else has", and it's actually a good idea. A lot of games have some kind of a "subscription", some of which reward the subscribers with some game changing stuff, and some - with just visual ones. The latter one is better, of course. Iirc, DotA had something like this as well.

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 7:18 AM, DesoZaKiddo said:

Remember when Maliken used this pay2play scheme and failed miserably? Pepperidge Farm Remembers!!

Remember when Maliken used to print out gay pictures of men having sex and when workers went home he would stick it up on the monitors of the office employees back when it was S2 Games then stream matches and use a bunch of racist profanities? And this man was the CEO of S2 the number 1 person behind the success of HoN

Just imagine all he had to do was make HoN free to play and run a real business and this game would be competing with LoL today.

Instead he scammed all of us, sold HoN to Garena and tried to scam more people with strife game which he never even paid the staff mind you, then when that failed he tried to scam people on steam with Savage Resurrection. Immediately everybody from this forum went on steam and started warning every potential customer that the S2 Games is a scam and they will steal your money.

Man Savage Resurrection flopped so hard

I wonder what Maliken is up to these days? is he still in the gaming business?

Edited by `Tusk`

I wouldn't call it a subscription but more of a HonPass that would allow you access to certain avatars that can be acquired with silver and maybe some with gold however, I'd still implement a system where when a player purchases this type of deal which can be per month/quarter with an adjusted price, they would also unlock certain daily/weekly quests that can give them some rewards (random per week/day/moth) depending on the quest but also some Unique quests which will make the player play hard to get them, for example, access to avatars that were part of promotions and can't be unlocked anymore.

There are a bunch of ideas and the game can be revived and could have been especially when the pandemic started but it all depends on the Dev and their management's ideas because if they are not willing to put in the hard effort to change things, this game will remain fairly the same with some small changes every now and then.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2021 at 5:21 AM, `Tusk` said:

Remember when Maliken used to print out gay pictures of men having sex and when workers went home he would stick it up on the monitors of the office employees back when it was S2 Games then stream matches and use a bunch of racist profanities? And this man was the CEO of S2 the number 1 person behind the success of HoN

Just imagine all he had to do was make HoN free to play and run a real business and this game would be competing with LoL today.

Instead he scammed all of us, sold HoN to Garena and tried to scam more people with strife game which he never even paid the staff mind you, then when that failed he tried to scam people on steam with Savage Resurrection. Immediately everybody from this forum went on steam and started warning every potential customer that the S2 Games is a scam and they will steal your money.

Man Savage Resurrection flopped so hard

I wonder what Maliken is up to these days? is he still in the gaming business?

Racist profanities? I mean let´s start with Pewdiepie, everyone knows he´s not a racist yet he screamed out a racist profanity when he was pissed. Its normal human reaction for anyone who hasn´t completely suppressed their inert true humanity to look for someone outside to blame. The people who suppress it are the ones that then have the true violent outbursts.  Sure, we all try to find enlightenment in our own ways but the meaning of calling someone a racist term is the same as calling them an idiot, wanker or anything else. Youre not actually making an assessment of that persons character, you're just projecting some hate in a direction that may or may not be justified. 

The gay stuff seems pretty hilarious.  Calling someone a f*g back in the day was so common that the 4chan but also the wider internet community took over the term completely. Newf*g, oldf*g, moralf*g (probably you) and so on. The term is now endearing or would be so if the woke people hadn´t taken second and thirdhand offense at something never directed at them nor in any real way homosexuals to begin with.

"All he had to do was make it free to play".

You do realize that half of the shit we are dealing with today, thats a CONSTANTLY recurring theme of distress on these forums is a result of the free to play model?

The smurfing, stat manipulation, trolling, botting in the past, and so on?

Also the Free2Play model, which is an exploitative model, was new then and he wasn´t alone in not implementing it. Nor did everyone who played then want it. 
And frankly after 12 + years a game should be allowed to die, its not like that would be a shocker, the shocker is its made it this far. 

Now more importantly its quite alarming that people like you who shit on Maliken everytime are the ones that also always bring this up. 
Unlike calling someone the N-word or F*g the lootbox system has actually been deemed to be damaging to kids and in various forms made illegal in the European Union.
The whole F2P model is based on the idea of chasing exclusivity, artificial scarcity and gambling.  Bright colors and easy access to spend tons of money with the hopes of getting exclusive content that could have easily been made available to everyone creates addictions and ruins lives while in other cases leading to criminality both in terms of account trading and of kids using their parents credit cards. 

But yeah, the issue we should be focusing on are a bunch of printed out gays.  I mean I have no illusions that Maliken was some kind of altruist but there was the issue of not wanting to screw over his base that had payed for the game and in "return" just give them a golden name color.
Though I guess today, those colors and others like them fetch 20-40 dollars so hey, the market right? lol. 

There was a time when we as gamers would shit on the faintest suggestion at microtransactions while calling each other f*gs.
Now it's turned upside down and just like in the real world where people focus their energies on stupid social issues while real poverty, exploitation and destruction happens for someones profit. We are getting more screwed and spending more money on digital products (that are often released in barely working order) than ever before when they should have become cheaper and easier to produce due to increased competition and ever more advanced world creators and other tools. 

Edited by Ondis

^ I am not disagreeing with you, I myself like the gay slurs because I am also gay.

Every morning I listen to the What What in the butt song

You digress. But how about the idea of giving some of us a reason to donate.
As someone suggested, a way to filter out trolls and downvote someone's rep when they refuse to do basic stuff as supports, tanks, junglers, etc. should have been a feature 10 years ago.

I currently have no incentive to play HoN. I despite 70% of the silver bracket players, from leavers to ppl who don't communicate or ignore your attempts to do it.
At this point I would be relieved if HoN NA closed and gave me a reason to stop playing (except when I get banned XD)

10 hours ago, `Tusk` said:

^ I am not disagreeing with you, I myself like the gay slurs because I am also gay.

Every morning I listen to the What What in the butt song

That's op, you got better comebacks than us straight boys then :( 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

But still the point about microtransactions stand, I dont think that we should blame him or it nor was it necessarily good that the industry moved in that direction, but maybe necessary.

Perhaps many did not see the times when in HoN there was a limited number of characters changing once a week, but there was a premium account that gave access to all characters and skins, he still had a wreath as an icon, this idea was abandoned for 8 years. it would not be offensive to use only loot boxes, no matter how much they hate them, they make a profit, but to create them you need the work of designers and 3D animators, which is not cheap, so your idea will not be relevant if you just introduce a premium at will, like it was before, and those who have funds can buy them, and the paid subscription system will kill the last remaining in HoN

• RideMyRod changed the title to HoN Pay4AllSkins

I changed the title. I didn't mean pay to play per se as in a subscription, but a premium set of features which included access to skins purchasable with silver and other stuff. I love the game, but I don't love playing it bc of trolls.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:36 AM, `IIuBo said:

Perhaps many did not see the times when in HoN there was a limited number of characters changing once a week, but there was a premium account that gave access to all characters and skins

Sounds like you remember slighly wrong.
The "premium accounts" were not purchasable after that system got introduced. Everyone that bought the game before they made it free to play, had such a premium account and no one could buy one after it.

However back on topic: Buying individual items that stay forever increase the value and emotional binding to your account. Any kind of subscription model doesn't. Their goal is to generate some revenue and never get people back again.
Think about this: If you bought into the subscription model now, played hard for next few month and maybe got a kid or sth which made you terminate your subscription because you have no more time. Now in 2 years you have one weekend of complete freetime. You might not try HoN again, since you don't have all those avatars back and you wouldn't want to use money to get them back just for one weekend. On the other hand it would be much more likely if you knew you could play that funny Avatar you bought 2 years back and become a "rainbow warrior" again 😉.
When returning to a game it's very important to get back as much of what you used to have as possible or people simply won't return.

So the decision to not create a Pay4Skins-Model is less to ensure high revenue but more to keep the game alive in the long run.

Redirecting that decision to the customers doesn't really work since only very few people think about it like this. And creating a public pole is just pointless because why would people (that don't think about it like I just did) would want to take away an option from themselves and other players?

• Like 1