Most optimal specs for HoN to get good performance?

Hello! This have probably been discussed before but I couldn't find anything specific but I am going to ask this again.

I was wondering about what do you guys think are good specs for HoN in order to achieve high FPS in this game? As on the current website this is what is shown:

RECOMMENDED:
Processor - 2.4GHz Core 2 or i3 / 2.2GHz i5 or i7 / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 2.0+ GB for Win XP / 3.0+ GB for Win 7
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
OS - 32-bit Windows XP, 64-bit Windows 7

While my own specs are way better than this, it still gets average performance with low framerates here and there, usually in 32 bit client going with an average of 40-50 fps. While the 64 bit client has helped alot (50-60 on average), I wonder how others have played this game with 120+ fps and what specs you are using in order to reach those higher numbers. HoN is one of the only games that I'm playing on a daily basis so I really don't want to buy a flagship rig for 2k+ USD just to play this game. This is kinda the reason why I suggested before in the Suggestions forums about adding HoN to GeForce Now.

Since I'm a Linux-user, I can't really take the new Windows 64bit client into my assumptions. Linux had 64bit forever, however I assume that the bottlenecks are still the same, just not as bad.

So: The recommended specs there are probably never updated and might not even allow you to play anymore. I'm playing on a pretty old notebook, which works - but rarely at 60 FPS 😉 .

If you want the maximum FPS possible, here are what I would "recommend":

• 8 GB of RAM
  • As much CPU-Frequency as you can get. Try 5 Ghz if you can. Cores don't really matter
  • I think I've heard that Nvidia is better supported for HoN, so I'd recommend a graphics card from nvidia. I assume a 760 would be plenty (after all, I'm playing without one!), but you probably can't go "too good"
  • A decent SSD, if you need the amount of free disc-space: get 10GB
  • OS: In the past, Linux was superior by a lot, but the 64bit client of Windows caught up, so that's probably what you would prefer 😉

That's what I could reasonably suggest. However there's also one additional thing you can do to get basically instant loading times: Get 32 GB of ram (or more) and load the entire game into memory. It will probably not boost your FPS at all, but you'll get less spikes because of disc reads.

22 hours ago, Manu311 said:

Since I'm a Linux-user, I can't really take the new Windows 64bit client into my assumptions. Linux had 64bit forever, however I assume that the bottlenecks are still the same, just not as bad.

So: The recommended specs there are probably never updated and might not even allow you to play anymore. I'm playing on a pretty old notebook, which works - but rarely at 60 FPS 😉 .

If you want the maximum FPS possible, here are what I would "recommend":

• 8 GB of RAM
  • As much CPU-Frequency as you can get. Try 5 Ghz if you can. Cores don't really matter
  • I think I've heard that Nvidia is better supported for HoN, so I'd recommend a graphics card from nvidia. I assume a 760 would be plenty (after all, I'm playing without one!), but you probably can't go "too good"
  • A decent SSD, if you need the amount of free disc-space: get 10GB
  • OS: In the past, Linux was superior by a lot, but the 64bit client of Windows caught up, so that's probably what you would prefer 😉

That's what I could reasonably suggest. However there's also one additional thing you can do to get basically instant loading times: Get 32 GB of ram (or more) and load the entire game into memory. It will probably not boost your FPS at all, but you'll get less spikes because of disc reads.

Are you sure about the CPU Frequency? I have a AMD FX 8370 which has the clock frequency of 4.0 Ghz and I still have struggles to run hon unless I put on low settings. I see people with lower CPU Frequency than me and runs with 150+ FPS without any problems. Maybe ElementUser could give a point on this topic as he has been part of the development to see what you can do to get highest possible FPS in this game. 😉

5 hours ago, Ladonien said:

I have a AMD FX 8370 which has the clock frequency of 4.0 Ghz

This might be an AMD-problem. Until rather recently AMDs Frequency wasn't comparable to Intel. I never had any AMD-CPUs until recently, so I can't really tell you how bad it is, but after picking a few CPUs on UserBenchmark and comparing the results, I found the Intel-Core-i7-3632QM to be rather close to the AMD FX 8370 in Single-Core load.
Actually it's even slightly faster, however those benchmarks aren't totally objective since people usually overclock their CPUs 😉 . The fastest, overclocked intel cpu closed at 2.2 Ghz with a turbo of 2.9 Ghz while the fastest AMD was at 4.9 Ghz.
So if you take that as a reference, you can probably just half your 4 Ghz to get a comparable result and 2 Ghz is not that much.

Not reaching 100 FPS with that CPU is kinda what I would expect, but 60 FPS shouldn't be much of a problem.

Also I don't think any of the settings actually hit your CPU, they usually hit your GPU. So it will probably not make much of a difference what settings you change.
There might be one other problem at fault here though. Apparently Windows occasionally has problems determining the correct graphics card/mode. So it's either running in "desktop mode" which saves power by not powering up at all, or it might be running on an integrated graphics card instead of the real one.
Both will hugely impact your gaming experience but can be fixed inside of Windows (but I'm the wrong person to ask how 😉 ).

16 hours ago, Manu311 said:

This might be an AMD-problem. Until rather recently AMDs Frequency wasn't comparable to Intel. I never had any AMD-CPUs until recently, so I can't really tell you how bad it is, but after picking a few CPUs on UserBenchmark and comparing the results, I found the Intel-Core-i7-3632QM to be rather close to the AMD FX 8370 in Single-Core load.
Actually it's even slightly faster, however those benchmarks aren't totally objective since people usually overclock their CPUs 😉 . The fastest, overclocked intel cpu closed at 2.2 Ghz with a turbo of 2.9 Ghz while the fastest AMD was at 4.9 Ghz.
So if you take that as a reference, you can probably just half your 4 Ghz to get a comparable result and 2 Ghz is not that much.

Not reaching 100 FPS with that CPU is kinda what I would expect, but 60 FPS shouldn't be much of a problem.

Also I don't think any of the settings actually hit your CPU, they usually hit your GPU. So it will probably not make much of a difference what settings you change.
There might be one other problem at fault here though. Apparently Windows occasionally has problems determining the correct graphics card/mode. So it's either running in "desktop mode" which saves power by not powering up at all, or it might be running on an integrated graphics card instead of the real one.
Both will hugely impact your gaming experience but can be fixed inside of Windows (but I'm the wrong person to ask how 😉 ).

So I've been trying now to research about best single core CPU's but seems pretty hard to see that ATM. Maybe you have a list since you were looking at the benchmarks? Maybe in the end I should just buy a new setup as a whole and go on a higher budget since it seems like the best solution atm. Probably going to have a higher budget on the CPU than the GPU for this game.

6 hours ago, Ladonien said:

So I've been trying now to research about best single core CPU's but seems pretty hard to see that ATM. Maybe you have a list since you were looking at the benchmarks? Maybe in the end I should just buy a new setup as a whole and go on a higher budget since it seems like the best solution atm. Probably going to have a higher budget on the CPU than the GPU for this game.

Recently (like for the last 2-3 years) AMD got better CPUs for less money. However they are primarily focused on multiple cores, which doesn't benefit most games.
If you really want the highest frames possible, you could probably go for one of the highest clocked CPUs available, the Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor. But that's 400$

On 4/15/2021 at 6:19 PM, Manu311 said:

Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor

So is this the CPU to go with overclocking or without? What about the 11th gen of intel CPUs?

32 minutes ago, Ladonien said:

So is this the CPU to go with overclocking or without? What about the 11th gen of intel CPUs?

I don't think there are i9 in the 11th gen already. But if they are, they are probably just as good 😉

Id be frank with you mate and say that this is a RTS-style game with a top down perspective and you dont need more than 50fps.

Biggest general issue nowdays is as manu said single core frequency. 
People play on laptops with many cores but essentially cheap cpus with shit frequencies. 

But I myself am currently playing on an ultrathin laptop with amd radeon graphics (like intel HD crap) and probably a shitty cpu (2.6) and Im getting 60-80 fps. 
So if youre having "much better specs" than that you might want to check into the usual stuff: Spyware, drivers, overheating, what not. 

Edited by Ondis
4 hours ago, Ondis said:

Id be frank with you mate and say that this is a RTS-style game with a top down perspective and you dont need more than 50fps.

Well, it sure help to have better FPS since if you have 50 fps on normal gameplay, you will have like 20 fps in teamfights where the game is freezing up randomly etc which can affect gameplay. And also HoN is pretty beautiful when it runs on ultra in high framerate.

Your processor is pretty bad. I had it on my last pc and frames were awful in almost every game..

I'm running a i9 9900k and a RTX 2080 having stable 220-230fps on x64 client. As HoN is quite old a less good comp will do just fine.. However, I would not recommend the FX series to anybody..

22 hours ago, Ondis said:

People play on laptops with many cores but essentially cheap cpus with shit frequencies. 

"Cheap cpus" is only partially true. Mobile cpus nowadays have a way bigger focus on energy savings than on frequency.
Most people are not limited by cpu frequency (or rather: at all).

If you don't buy a gamer laptop, they usually are designed to work on battery for a long time and have decent performance in office applications, video viewing and browsers. And they all can usually make good use of multiple cores.
If you think about it, it's way more power efficient to have 8 cores and just disable 7 of them completely when you only need one, than to just enable them every few microseconds and basically reduce power while they are "off" (that's very oversimplified 😉). So while your 8×1.1 Ghz cpu is idling, you just have 1.1 million times power on and power off. While your 2×4.4 Ghz cpu is idling you have 4.4 million times power on and off.

So one takes 4 times the power, but the raw calculation power in desktop applications is almost identical. While in HoN it is probably 3-4 times the fps.

Actually games aren't the only things that require this focus on high frequencies - I'm having a gaming laptop for work, since I'm programming applications that are not (really) running on multiple cores (at least not while developing them) and there are basically no non-gamer laptops with decent cpu frequencies.
You gotta decide which you want: Battery life, or "gaming" 😉.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:35 AM, hegelsohn said:

I'm running a i9 9900k and a RTX 2080 having stable 220-230fps on x64 client. As HoN is quite old a less good comp will do just fine.. However, I would not recommend the FX series to anybody..

What do you think is the better choice? Going for a strong Intel CPU or just going for one of the latest AMD Ryzen's?

5 hours ago, Ladonien said:

What do you think is the better choice? Going for a strong Intel CPU or just going for one of the latest AMD Ryzen's?

Personal preference and past experience says intel on my side. But some of the Ryzen CPUs are quite solid compared to the prior poor chips. However, Intel will provide better fps in most cases (e.g. compared 9900k vs 3900X).

The most important piece in order to get good performance in HoN is the single-core performance of your processor(CPU). You'll therefor want a modern CPU with a powerful micro-architecture, that can really push that. You can’t use clock-speed (frequency) to compare different micro-architectures, so that's irrelevant, don't get stuck on that. What's important is how much your CPU can get done per core clock-cycle. You can only compare the two when it's the same micro-architecture.
(Example: Intel Core i7-11700 vs Intel Core i9-11900).

Trying to compare CPU's by clock-speed (frequency) is a bit like trying to measure a cars performance by RPM. Sure, you can run insanely fast, but when it doesn't actually accomplish anything, what's the point?

If you're on a tight budget the best option would likely be to get the new Intel Core i5-11500 with a cheap(er) B560 motherboard. It should run HoN at 1080p with a decent 90 - 100 FPS even on the integrated graphics.

If you have more $, get a dedicated graphics card to go with it (Even something older like a Radeon RX 580 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 970), and you'll push the FPS to at least 150+ (likely even in the 200+ range) even at 1440p & 4K. Unfortunately, getting a GPU in these times isn't a simple task, especially if you don't have a lot of $ to spend. Even more so if you're after one from the current generation.

For a bit more performance you can instead get the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with a B550 or X570 motherboard if you have a bit more to spend than on the Intel Core i5-11500, but that doesn't have integrated graphics, so you'll need a dedicated graphics card from the get-go if you choose that route.

You can see a few CPU's performance for single-core performance over here:
Cinebench R15 (Single-Core)
-- The Intel Core i5-11500 isn't on that list, but it's pretty much identical to the Intel Core i5-11600K.

PS: If you're instead on a big baller budget, you may as well go snatch up one of those AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or AMD Ryzen 9 5950X.
Not that it'll help you any with your HoN performance, this is only for that work & productivity aspect, not gaming. 😉

You can check out a good video about the Intel Core i5-11400 (& 500) vs the Intel Core i5-11600K here: i5-11400 vs i5-11600K

Edited by Tsuzoi
Added video.
On 4/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Manu311 said:

"Cheap cpus" is only partially true. Mobile cpus nowadays have a way bigger focus on energy savings than on frequency.
Most people are not limited by cpu frequency (or rather: at all).

If you don't buy a gamer laptop, they usually are designed to work on battery for a long time and have decent performance in office applications, video viewing and browsers. And they all can usually make good use of multiple cores.
If you think about it, it's way more power efficient to have 8 cores and just disable 7 of them completely when you only need one, than to just enable them every few microseconds and basically reduce power while they are "off" (that's very oversimplified 😉). So while your 8×1.1 Ghz cpu is idling, you just have 1.1 million times power on and power off. While your 2×4.4 Ghz cpu is idling you have 4.4 million times power on and off.

So one takes 4 times the power, but the raw calculation power in desktop applications is almost identical. While in HoN it is probably 3-4 times the fps.

Actually games aren't the only things that require this focus on high frequencies - I'm having a gaming laptop for work, since I'm programming applications that are not (really) running on multiple cores (at least not while developing them) and there are basically no non-gamer laptops with decent cpu frequencies.
You gotta decide which you want: Battery life, or "gaming" 😉.

All good points man. CPU is the biggest consumer of energy, especially in laptops! 

Im a software guy so let me ask you this if you know, does a CPU under minimal load of say 20% consume near or at proportional levels of power as when it's at near 100%? 

So a 50 watt CPU 100 %= 50, 
20%=10-15? 

Or is it much worse?

Edited by Ondis
On 4/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, Ladonien said:

Well, it sure help to have better FPS since if you have 50 fps on normal gameplay, you will have like 20 fps in teamfights where the game is freezing up randomly etc which can affect gameplay. And also HoN is pretty beautiful when it runs on ultra in high framerate.

Oh shit it drops to 20 in team fights? 
Id say some of the people including me here were wrong then.

Your processor may not be the shit but it shouldn't be dropping to 20 FPS IMO. 

Ive ran this ol game on ancient architecture. 
This is something else. 

Do particles get you down? What kind of team fights mess your fps up? Big explosions with a lot of physics would indicate CPU issues but Ive had at least one instance where it wasn't the problem. (Temepests meteor skill for example, try modifying an armadon and spamming spikes in test mode, etc).

Have you tried dedicating a core to HoN? It can help.   Ive never had this particular processor so Hegelshons opinion should be taken into account more than mine perhaps but its specs just seem too high for this to be the issue. You even say its on low settings. Doesn't click for me. 

Edited by Ondis
2 hours ago, Ondis said:

All good points man. CPU is the biggest consumer of energy, especially in laptops! 

Im a software guy so let me ask you this if you know, does a CPU under minimal load of say 20% consume near or at proportional levels of power as when it's at near 100%? 

So a 50 watt CPU 100 %= 50, 
20%=10-15? 

Or is it much worse?

I'm a software guy myself 😉.

However it's clearly worse than linear:
Basically CPUs always just "waste" power - (amost) all logic works by short circuiting your power. It doesn't matter much if you short circuit 5 times a second or 10 times a second, the power is mostly constant. However it fluctuates slightly and the CPU can reduce the overall voltage if it doesn't have to run at the highest frequency. That's basically all you can save for the CPU itself. It's really not that much - I doubt you can half the power drawn no matter how much you reduce frequency.
However there's an additional benefit that comes with reduced voltage/power draw on the cpu: cooling. Again it's not that much power that can be saved here.

Yeah I know, thought about the cooling aspect too. Though frankly some of these manufacturers, like Apple, almost seem to be making laptops to destroy themselves as a form of planned obsolescence based on how bad their cooling is. Like fans blowing into nothing, metal stripes leading nowhere (heat sinks not sinking anything), crazy bad stuff. Class action bad in Apples case probably lol.

Interesting there about the CPUs, I had no idea! Thx. So makes sense to have crappy, sorry energy efficient ones in then. And multiple cores make sense. Actually googling about it I read a tip to shut off cores completely if you want to save substantial power consumtion and know you wont need them.

1 hour ago, Ondis said:

Interesting there about the CPUs, I had no idea! Thx. So makes sense to have crappy, sorry energy efficient ones in then. And multiple cores make sense. Actually googling about it I read a tip to shut off cores completely if you want to save substantial power consumtion and know you wont need them.

Smartphones even take a step further, they combine different cpu cores so it can better tune the power needed. If they run in idle, they can just fallback to the lowest power cpu core and disable all the others. While if you need performance, you enable the fast cores (and might even disable the slow ones).
The Galaxy S21 has 8 cores in total:
1 x Cortex-X1 at up to 2,9 GHz
3 x Cortex-A78 at up to 2,8 GHz
4 x Cortex-A55 at up to 2,2 GHz

However this is getting "slightly" offtopic, we should stop that 😇.

• Thanks 1

I think I will go for the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. I wish there was someone who had a similiar processor to this one who could benchmark HoN but I haven't seen one yet but I think it will be a good choice in the end. Thanks for the help!

47 minutes ago, Ladonien said:

I think I will go for the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. I wish there was someone who had a similiar processor to this one who could benchmark HoN but I haven't seen one yet but I think it will be a good choice in the end. Thanks for the help!

Dude be mindful of that even though the processor is not great and as manu said AMD figures were not to be trusted your CPU is on the right side of the yellow and youre trying to run a 10 + year old game. 

Id do far more testing, check the integrated stuff Manu mention, benchmark your own CPU to see if its failing, run Cpu-Z to see if your ram memory is clocking where it should, basically everything before you sink tons of money into a CPU and possibly dont get what you want.

GL either way.

Edited by Ondis
40 minutes ago, Ondis said:

Dude be mindful of that even though the processor is not great and as manu said AMD figures were not to be trusted your CPU is on the right side of the yellow and youre trying to run a 10 + year old game. 

Id do far more testing, check the integrated stuff Manu mention, benchmark your own CPU to see if its failing, run Cpu-Z to see if your ram memory is clocking where it should, basically everything before you sink tons of money into a CPU and possibly dont get what you want.

GL either way.

Yeah. Was thinking about how much price worthy it would be so maybe the 5600X is probably better.

4 hours ago, Ladonien said:

Additonally, it looks like AMD is just crushing Intel now with its new AMD ryzen 5XXX series so.

Yeah they are solid as f now.