Fix the queue times

I just solo queued for 18 minutes. I did eventually find a game, and it's obvious why the queue took so long: my MMR was like 150 points above everyone else. In other words, the current algorithm is working fine, and this 18-minute queue is an "intended" effect. But I hope it's obvious that 18 minute queue times is too long. This kind of queue time makes people smurf, especially since the resulting games while smurfing are roughly the same quality anyway.

Please implement a hard cap on MMR at, say, 90-95th percentile of all players, after which they are all treated the same by the matchmaking algorithm. Tweak as necessary with the ultimate aim of making no queue take longer than 10 minutes. 

I agree.

A matchmaking system to makes people smurf is flawed. Smurfing sucks and is inherently lame.

The matchmaking should system should "loosen" up the requirements as the queue time grows.

Yesterday I queued with friends in a 5-man queue. After 24 minutes of queue and no game, we decided to split the group. 10 seconds and I was in a game. I understand 5 man queues would preferably match against other 5 man queues, or 4+1, or 3+2 groups. But honestly, a queue system where you cannot get into a game with friends, sucks. Queuing alone is cancer too, got matched yesterday 3 times with the same griefer, and he griefed every game, wouldn't have happened if I could only play with my friends 😞. Makes you question your choice of game.

2 hours ago, Hokter said:

Yesterday I queued with friends in a 5-man queue. After 24 minutes of queue and no game, we decided to split the group. 10 seconds and I was in a game. I understand 5 man queues would preferably match against other 5 man queues, or 4+1, or 3+2 groups. But honestly, a queue system where you cannot get into a game with friends, sucks. Queuing alone is cancer too, got matched yesterday 3 times with the same griefer, and he griefed every game, wouldn't have happened if I could only play with my friends 😞. Makes you question your choice of game.

You know what also sucks? Playing with a single friend or on your own, getting 1-2 griefers in your team and playing against a 5-man-queue.
It's so bad that I even refuse to play with more than 2 friends, because we would very likely encounter a 5-man-queue if we're 4 and even 1 uncoordinated player in my team (who isn't used to play as a team) results in a 5v4 without the additional gold you get in a real 5v4.
So we usually split once we're 4 - not because of the queue times but because of the unbalanced games we would get.

Edited by Manu311
  • Like 1

I would like an option to be able to find games quicker at your own risk even if i end up at disadvantage, cuz sometimes i just want to play and cant find games after queing 3 times for 30 min.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GiveUpBra said:

I would like an option to be able to find games quicker at your own risk even if i end up at disadvantage, cuz sometimes i just want to play and cant find games after queing 3 times for 30 min.

literally had that, literally everyone used it instead of chosing longer queue times, litterally everyone cried about it while using it cause they did not want to wait.

If MM "loosens" up, you end up with people 200-300 mmr above you on your opponents team anyway, might aswell just deal with smurfs cause it makes no difference except that smurfs either solo queue or play with lower ranked friends, whereas 1800s usually play in their 5stack queue so they would trash you even harder... sometimes i wonder what's going on inside peoples heads, complaining about one thing and then asking for something that does essentially the same but potentially worse...

spacer.png

The fact that you don't mind getting in a game with people 200 mmr higher than you doesn't mean that they don't care either.

So you either completely split the queue in 2 parts (the ones that prefer faster queues to balanced queues and the ones who prefer the other way around) or your idea will just please a part of the players while making the other part frustrated.

Splitting queue in 2 parts is not feasible with the current number of players we have, I'm afraid 🙂

You may be right 😩. But lets be honest, most games are against or with smurfs in the team anyway, so balance doesnt really matters much, plus i've seen some high mmr players complaining here on the forums how hard it is to get games and thus they are forced to smurf.

Edited by GiveUpBra

Would be nice if people stated their MMR before complaining so we could maby understand why you would think the queues are long. 

i would think Legendary/immortal players have long queues

im 1700+ and have no problem with queues on EU

would say about 5 minutes queues for me.  Maby more at late hours or early hours but thats understandable

Been saying...keep getting threads locked and EU mad every time I bring it or some other things up ^^ (He always gets the last word lol, bit lame)

The fact that you don't mind getting in a game with people 200 mmr higher than you doesn't mean that they don't care either.

They obviously do care - thats why they smurf so much because it takes so freakin long to join a game. 
Yeah, yeah, sometimes some of them might suffer a bit playing with nubs when you dont want it. 

Well the nubs gotta suffer all the time, playing against their smurf-accounts in completely unbalanced games.

Again as Ive suggested theres a solution to this too!
Let players, through a slider or a set of tick-boxes choose how loose of a matchmaking search they want - trading MMR dispersion for time. 

And yeah there are some issues with this.
But there are even some hidden benefits like getting to play with people better than you BUT IN AN ACTUALLY BALANCED TEAM - OMG.  So people teaching people, all based on how much everyone voluntarily want to broaden their game-search algorithm. 

(And just to repeat the most previously mentioned argument against this:" should a bunch of 1600's play against a bunch of 1500's and a single 1900?" Id almost say Yes, but if you dont want this you just make sure that the matchmaking algorithm always looks for pairs, so there has to be a 1900 in both teams or its just 1600s , at least in this example). '

edit: Lol, just played against a team in which there were 3 smurfs all queuing together vs 5 random silvers. Its getting stupid, like wasnt this fixed? If youre 3 or more dont you have to face other teams that have 3 or more friends? So at least communication isnt an advantage as well as fake mmr. Or maybe that is 4 nowdays?

Edited by Ondis
  • Like 1