Qi Insane Damage

I don't get how this has still gone unnoticed but Qi is a broken hero. Exhibit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI8qmbs-Mb8&t=572s  at 18:40. Literally one instance of Qi ultimate did that much damage. This recent patch even saw a huge buff for Qi making his ultimate faster and better at lower levels. There's other instances of the ultimate dealing insane amounts of damage in the video as well. 

I don't get how any carry is supposed to deal with a Qi and react that quickly to an ultimate that can 1 shot them and has 1200 range. The silhouette in the video even had shrunken head and nullstone and neither of those items were helpful. What can any carry do to avoid spells that deal superior magic? Literally nothing. 

Then this recent patch decided to further buff Qi and make his ultimate even better and harder to avoid just seems nonsensical.  I believe his E should be toned down a lot more and the disarm time on his Q should be brought down to 3 seconds. It just doesn't make sense for a hero to scale so well into the late game and not even have to rely on any items at all to 1 shot carries and unavoidably completely shutting them down. 

It's a silhouette. 

Qi is a hard counter to heroes that get temporary bursts of autoattack dps. This is because of his E and Silhouette's E. 

It's working as intended. 

Qi is a niche hard counterpick hero to certain carries. You'll have to live with his presence because he is actually intended to have this kind of presence against particular heroes. 

Edited by ElementUser

One thing I'll consider in the future is capping the amount of total damage per E tick, or capping the amount of extra AS to mitigate these extremes. 

However, Qi finally got a 50% win rate after being considered a garbage hero for a long time, so i am not in a particular rush to handle these cases. I will think about it, but the general intention of Qi being scaling with time as a support that has a weak midgame and subpar early game balances it out. The enemy team is supposed to ban Qi or pick different types of carries against him (like int cores that don't build much dps), because of the counterpick niche this hero has. 

This is not to mention that we never had a hard counter to Silhouette ever. It is a healthy thing that we have a more definitive counter to her and other heroes who have high burst autoattack DPS when done at the right time (Scout, MoA, Hammerstorm). 

Edited by ElementUser

Looks pretty nonsense per OP, if it is working as intended I would say the intention is not good. It's not really possible to time Qi's ultimate - it's already unreliable to land. What current design does is that it's usually not good and occasionally will do things like in the video in the OP. It's sort of like Valk arrow traveling 7k range. One could argue it "promotes skilled play" except landing an arrow at 7k range is almost completely luck not skill, so the change effectively does nothing except occasionally do video-worthy things.

"This is not to mention that we never had a hard counter to Silhouette ever" - Qi is still not a counter to Silhouette, while Witch Slayer comes quite close as a hard counter (since his E instantly kills illusions and his Q goes through Nullstone).

My main concern was changing it in a way that drastically affects his performance against other heroes.

I spent a few hours this morning scripting an AS cap (it's tricky because of the limitations of what is available) and got it working.

What this does is limit the amount of "extra AS" in the calculation to 250.

This will make it affect heroes who gain a burst of AS much less (Scout, Silhouette), but will still be effective against heroes who naturally have that high bonus AS either passively or over a sustained period of time (like MoA with ult).

This will be put in next patch. With the items shown in the OP's video though, Silhouette still takes a lot of damage from one instance of spellcast (just not as drastic as 1k damage, but more like 300-400 which is still a ton).

Edited by ElementUser