I know most of the people think Magmus is really annoying and too strong but its not true, His damage is low the only good thing about the hero is his stun and that he can stun multi people, In my opinion he needs a bit of damage buffs as in the end game his ulti is not even killing the supports.

For Q , Lava Surge : a bit of damage buff 100/160/220/280 to 140/180/250/300 damage Stun can be from 2.15 to 2.3 to make it easier to hit the ult but still with the target who is stunned able to cancel you with their stun as your ult is 2seconds of channel and after the stun you have 0.55 seconds to start cast ult so there is still that window of 0.25 sec for the enemy to cancel you.

for W , Steam Bath : a big of damage and cd reduce at the lower lvl 30/50/70/90 to 30/50/80/100 as in the end game this spell is really weak but at the beginning its fine as sometimes as suicide you might sit lvl 1 and there is no stuner on the enemy so they cannot cancel you and until they get that rev ward they might take a lot of damage. for cool downs : 40/30/20/10 to 30/25/20/10 because that first lvl feels too long cooldown.
To balance the change in cooldowns make the effect be max of 40 secs instead of 60.

for E, Volcanic Touch : its really nice but in the end game no one use it in team fights as its weak and slow to farm, also maybe to add a bit of duration for the activate. 0.25 sec to 0.3 sec activation 90/130/170/220 to 100/140/180/240 damage.

for R, Eruption : Damage boosted is needed i feel like because you barley kill the support even if you out level them. 660/880/1100 to 700/950/1300 damage.

*Also the staff is one of the worst staff in the game in my opinion as its not really doing much , its +200 magic damage for 4.2k gold witch you can just buy spellshards / spell sunder and have around the same effect, I agree that staff gives more slow because it adds a bit of duration but its just not enough in my opinion.

Staff effect : 880/1100/1320 to 900/1300/1700 damage , maybe its too much but sure need to be tested as its staff and you get it kinda later on the game while people got atleast a vestment / noms and sometimes idol.

Cool idea for rework : 
I have also a cool rework idea witch is make Magmus from str hero to int hero as he is doing mainly magic damage and less being a tank and make him be with a bigger mana pull and maybe more auto attack damage as you take part of his hp regen.

Would like to hear what you guys think :).
Edited by Kragiko

Magmus is generally considered a more-or-less perfectly balanced hero by many players, who also sees many bans in higher level play (due to how good his Q + Portal Key combo is, not even counting his ultimate). There is no reason for me to adjust him at this time.

Edited by ElementUser

Magmus utility from his stun is so high that makes him relevant in most part of the game imo. He can itemize flexibiilym for which I think that buffing him in any way outside of a better SOTM effect, would tip his power too much as a position 4 or even 5.

Regarding a possible SOTM effect, I consider that improving his steambath could give him enough reasons to go for the upgrade, and could allow for even more diverse itemization. Some of the changes I have in mind for his W would be:

- No longer has a cooldown.
- No longer a channeling but a self cast area spell which ends if Magmus leaves the area.
- Steambath works on neutrals , ancients and structures.

Maybe 1 or even 2 of those effects could really give him another but conditional power spike

Mag is a hero who is always relevant at any stage of the game and is easily one of those heroes that if you're good at, can solo climb any of the lower brackets.

I can see the Staff effect needing a rework though, such as maybe allowing Volcanic Touch to trigger off of Spells (with SotM).

I see no reason to fix what isn't broken.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

Mag is in a fine spot, I agree his SOTM is not really worth picking up. A possible effect could be being able to move at normal speed while steambath is active and slightly increase the damage and/or give enemy heroes a miss chance when effected by steambath.

To sum things up, I agree with most of you.

Maybe the right buff should only be the staff effect.

Giving more damage is an option, Giving Steam Bath more damage sounds also cool idea because in the later of the game Steam Bath is really weak in term of damage, let's say 30/50/70/90 to 50/90/120/150.

9 hours ago, EasyWinEasy said:

Mag is fine his staff effect is useless though. 

140  aoe dmg stun on lvl 1 is absurdly OP.

I cant check his winrate atm but i think he is at 50% RIGHT?

He is at 50% witch is fine and I agree that the aoe is good but the range of the stun lvl 1 is really short so it is balanced.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:11 PM, Kragiko said:

To sum things up, I agree with most of you.

Maybe the right buff should only be the staff effect.

Giving more damage is an option, Giving Steam Bath more damage sounds also cool idea because in the later of the game Steam Bath is really weak in term of damage, let's say 30/50/70/90 to 50/90/120/150.

He is at 50% witch is fine and I agree that the aoe is good but the range of the stun lvl 1 is really short so it is balanced.

Interesting staff idea but the scaling seems off as you would get the staff after the PK charlice and boots. which would make you aquire the staff roughly at 30 min?

30 mins into the game is 150 dmg per sec steambath going to make a 4200g investment worth it? I dont think so.

My idea for a staff effect would be

Giving his Q two charges. It would be intense and fun. but probably too overpowered.

Edited by EasyWinEasy

Let me post my suggestion regarding Staff boost on Magmus (and the others but let's skip that part) because people also posted their suggestion here.

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

Alternatively, visit this blog below to see the compiled version of the threads/posts I made on this Official HoN Forum:
newerthbrainstorm.blogspot.com

On 4/3/2021 at 8:43 PM, EasyWinEasy said:

Interesting staff idea but the scaling seems off as you would get the staff after the PK charlice and boots. which would make you aquire the staff roughly at 30 min?

30 mins into the game is 150 dmg per sec steambath going to make a 4200g investment worth it? I dont think so.

My idea for a staff effect would be

Giving his Q two charges. It would be intense and fun. but probably too overpowered.

Its not only 150dmg, and its not the only effect and +the staff original effect that needs to be boosted a bit for the damage as i wrote at the begining the post.

Staff effect : 880/1100/1320 to 900/1300/1700 damage , maybe its too much but sure need to be tested as its staff and you get it kinda later on the game while people got atleast a vestment / noms and sometimes idol. 

Double stun for staff is too insaine , magmus stun with pk is already great.

I did see quite a few times the lack of scaling towards the later stages of the game of Magmus' damage. 

Heroes in the late-game tend to have high magic reduction, magic immunity, increases mobility and/or high if not very high health pools. This poses a lot of problems for heroes that are considered very good at the early/mid game (i.e. Blitz), but they turn into the polar opposite as the game transitions to the end-game. 

I saw it mitigated in a way by adding a utility stat into the scaling damage of an ability boosted by SotM (Take as an example Blitz SotM effect adding a flat decrease to enemy attack speed, which almost acts as a Spiked Bola to autoattack-based heroes)

I think there is a problem in increasing flat damage too much, as there are techniques in attaining early SotM boosts, and gaining such high numbers in the wrong game stage could be detrimental to the game health.

I think - maybe it would be possible to simply add a utility stat to help the skill scale better into the late-game?

Some examples of possible utility stats:

- Enemies affected by Eruption take an additional 5/10/15% damage from all sources.

- Enemies affected by Eruption take 10 damage per second over 6/8/10 seconds.

- Enemies affected by Eruption are also "Scorched". While Scorched, health regeneration applies at a negative value.

• Thanks 1

Steam Path: SOTM suggestion

No longer a channeling skill. Creat a smoke area,the smoke give a invisible buff to magmus, magmus can move freely inside the smoke without break the invisible state, the next hit will deal addition 120 bonus phyiscal damage and clear the smoke.

Attack, cast spell, use item. move ouside the smoke will clear the smoke and remove the invisible state. Being stunned/silence inside the smoke wont remove the smoke

The smoke also deal damage to enemies inside it. Like the non-upgrate

Edited by w3_StarBoy
  • Like 1

HoN SEA Player

The described problem is one any int hero faces basically.

The solution is an item that actually pierces spell immunity on all spells. (maybe 60% spelldamage is converted to superior magic damage and maybe Grimore is a good item for such thing).

For magmus, there are quite some nice ideas, I'm still in favor of making him able to move while in sandstorm. I wouldn't directly buff his late game scaling with SOTM as this is a global problem and it requires a global solution imho.

• Like 1