Can someone explain the reasoning behind the design change? Specifically, the .25 gold gained when killing a non-player controlled unit. I thought the whole idea of this item was so you can play a support and stack creeps, then follow somebody and still acquire gold. But what would be the point of having this item now? Seems close to useless. 

it was a mistake to give supports passive gold for passive gameplay at first place. But I guess people whined that they couldn't play support so something was changed.

Back in 2010, even some great support players like Nova would have red boots and nothing else in their inventory at minute 40 as Glacius for example. After game became more casual and after everything that has been done to help the supports, people are still complaining - because there is no change that will make them gain map awareness or sense of teamplay.

So yeah, item shouldn't even exist if you ask me. Buy wards and early boots and be active.

I just played Succubus and had nothing but striders 40 minutes into the game. All I did was ward, stack creeps, and buy dust. And I was still doing good, had a positive kill death ratio, lots of assists, saved allies several times. Kind of annoying when I stack creeps for my allies for 40 minutes then they complain I don't have any items...

So yeah, why don't they get rid of the item then? What's the point of nerfing something to where it doesn't work?

I think one of the reasons that this item was created to give gold passively to the stands, was so that they didn’t feel the frustration of playing as sacrifice in each team fight, this gives them the possibility to create plays within each battle as well as greater survival, since they have greater possibility to buy items in a short period of time, summarizing this was also with the aim of creating shorter games and improving the experience inside the game , if I remember it before each game lasted around 45- 1H+, which generated a lot of pressure within each game adding that if you chose a support you would die in each instant of 2 or 3 strokes generating a very negative score in addition to giving additional gold to enemy heroes

I think it's also a perception issue that the main hard-carry should take all the farm and the support has nothing. You can stack the medium/small camp at the short-lane and farm it when you pull the creep waves, tell the carry its yours and that he can farm the lane. It's also 50% as effective if the carry farms the stacked pull camps as he's missing out on 1-2 creeps from the next wave, so what's the point in taking gold that can be used by the support?

Don't try to help too much, focus on yourself and what you need first - if the carry transitions into the Jungle after the laning phase is over, farm a little bit in lane, take a small camp here and there during lane transitions, use your spells on a medium camp once in a while, last-hit enemy kills sometimes (fairly easy to do as a Succubus). I doubt the carry would need +200 gold from a kill in the long run, as a carry with Hypercrown will melt waves/camps and the only decision he will have to do is whether to buy a Wingbow or a Geo. However, 200 gold for you as a support would mean an extra rev/ward of sight, which is insanely significant. Don't be afraid to be selfish, it's perfectly ok - and if someone tells you something about it, it's their issue that they want to hoard all the farm to themselves.

Don't get me wrong - most of the kills should be given to the main carry when possible, the farm, the Jungle stacks, etc. - I'm specifically talking about the pull camps, one kill here and there, small/medium single or double camps, etc. Try to prevent enemies from denying their towers and help secure tower kills, as that's also a main gold income for you as a Support. Try to not over-buy wards, as there are more wards in the shop at any given time than what you need. Mostly its 2-3 active wards on map and a few extra wards in the shop in case they get de-warded. If you place 4 wards on the map, you will run out of wards for the next 6-12 minutes and will be sitting on 0-1 wards on the map.

Try to focus on acquiring meaningful high-impact items for a low cost - Sand Scepter, Stormspirit, PK, etc.

If done properly, you can get good items as a support. It's not unusual for me as an Ichor support to manage to acquire items like Barrier Idol, Barbed Armor, Ultor's Heavy Helm along with Striders / Grave Locket / Chalice.

Worse games I don't manage to finish those items and I stay at Zamos / Striders / Vestment / Ringmail / Chalice. - But those are games that the enemies denied many towers, I missed many lasthits, died many times and/or failed to last-hit enemy heroes from time to time.

Edited by Lunarios
  • Thanks 1