How can we help HoN? :D

Love HoN. It's a great game, imo it's the best moba out there.
What are the ways we can give back or try to help?

So far, I'm only aware of two means of doing so:
1. For those with money, the Donations link to help fund development and technical improvements.
2. For those with time, the Open Applications page for volunteer positions, currently accepting applications for Release Candidate Testers.

Is there anything else we can do?
Beyond those two official methods, all I can think of doing is trying my best to improve my life and get a better job so I can have disposable income enough to finance HoN's development more extensively.
Or perhaps trying to build different kinds of gaming communities online, and create video content that could bring in new players and teach them, and with new players could come additional revenue?
idk

I like HoN and I think that there's no other game that gives you the uniquely satisfying game experience that it does.
I believe good gameplay and design should grow and be rewarded.
I'd love to figure out ways I can try to help make that happen. 😄

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

As average players, there is plenty you can do! Simply play the game, spread positivity, report and discourage negativity/toxicity, and talk about the game to your friends & try to get them to play! You can also try to take a more active role in social media to help HoN out.

As content creators, you can always make videos on Youtube. Some channels like Scumbag Network create amazing content: https://www.youtube.com/user/scumbagnetwork

As tournament organizers, you can always make small tournaments yourself and eventually get noticed and sponsored by us if the conditions are met.  See HoNest for a good example of this: https://www.honestorg.com/tournaments

As developers, you can always try to make some mods and/or fix some bugs. HoN's XML scripting files are open-source & every HoN player that have the client installed has game files on their computer. I created a thread on XML scripting, but this also extends to UI & some other files: 

You can also do other cool stuff like what this guy did (to maintain a forked variant of honbot): https://hon-stats.herokuapp.com/

You can also create your own websites to fulfill some non-existing positive functionality that will help HoN users! With development, the possibilities are pretty plentiful.

You never need to donate to HoN to help support it, and we appreciate any kind of positive help from players 🙂 

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, ElementUser said:

As developers, you can always try to make some mods and/or fix some bugs. HoN's XML scripting files are open-source & every HoN player that have the client installed has game files on their computer. I created a thread on XML scripting, but this also extends to UI & some other files: 

I'd like to add, that you don't need to be a developer or have any prior knowledge before creating mods. A lot of programmers started by creating small mods for their favorite games.

Iff you're interested in that area and have a bit of dedication, that should be enough. There are a couple of modders in our modding sub-forum that will happily help you if you ask them to.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Manu311 said:

I'd like to add, that you don't need to be a developer or have any prior knowledge before creating mods. A lot of programmers started by creating small mods for their favorite games.

Iff you're interested in that area and have a bit of dedication, that should be enough. There are a couple of modders in our modding sub-forum that will happily help you if you ask them to.

That's really good to hear.
My experience with coding is a couple of object-oriented java programming courses and various tiny bits of scripting in After Effects.
There are some ideas for mods or improvements that I am interested in.
I have several mods currently with HoN, and I've just now tried a good UI mod, but it doesn't let me use Escape to close the shop. I've only now realized that's how I've been closing the shop this entire time.
Maybe I can find out how to change the mod to enable that?
And fix it's buy back display, and the alt-clicking of enemy heroes for missing calls, or alt clicking shop to send chat messages about your buyback gold.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Actually since I'm interested in UI and UX design, maybe this should be my first project? To try and make a better UI just in general? O,O
Maybe start small with fixing the Escape key and see how it goes from there.

These replies are both extremely useful, thanks very much to both of you.

1 hour ago, Floofboy said:

That's really good to hear.
My experience with coding is a couple of object-oriented java programming courses and various tiny bits of scripting in After Effects.
There are some ideas for mods or improvements that I am interested in.
I have several mods currently with HoN, and I've just now tried a good UI mod, but it doesn't let me use Escape to close the shop. I've only now realized that's how I've been closing the shop this entire time.
Maybe I can find out how to change the mod to enable that?
And fix it's buy back display, and the alt-clicking of enemy heroes for missing calls, or alt clicking shop to send chat messages about your buyback gold.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Actually since I'm interested in UI and UX design, maybe this should be my first project? To try and make a better UI just in general? O,O
Maybe start small with fixing the Escape key and see how it goes from there.

These replies are both extremely useful, thanks very much to both of you.

I haven't really written any mods for HoN, I've fixed some honmods I guess, but they were pretty much limited to "the place, the code should go to, moved around slighly", so I can't really help with it.
It's probably easiest if you just look into some of the UI files and once you think you understand a part, you try to change things. They don't need to be useful, just to get a feeling for it and some experience with the code.

51 minutes ago, gioll said:

Hon must help itself.

HON 2 must born

with new graphics avatars, features and many more....

I think doing art from HoN visual design and upload it on social media is one way to help HoN, better than demanding a new serial of HoN when it is unlikely to happen.

I give you an idea for that, how about if you *cough* make another tattoo from HoN hero design *cough* and upload it on your social media. You could also post it here so people can share it.

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

So with the XML scripting I guess you could use that to see if you would apply a buff to a hero before it would get applied to a patch? Could be useful in the future when discussing buffs/nerfs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, gioll said:

Hon must help itself.

HON 2 must born

with new graphics avatars, features and many more....

ummm, no? I mean, look at Dota 2, it has an updated graphics engine (Source 2) but the gameplay is just trashy. A big part of what makes HoN great IS the K2 engine and it's applicability towards MOBA gameplay. What I would argue could use a revamp would be the homescreen/UI, that is a dead giveaway of the game's age. Other than that, If you play the game on High video settings it still looks gorgeous. Let's not forget there have been some major patches that also updated the textures (4.0 and I think 3.0 also). My point is, if you change the K2 engine (which is basically what would be required for you Hon2 new graphics and all that) it will most likely not feel like HoN anymore. 

Edited by Boddhisattva
47 minutes ago, Boddhisattva said:

ummm, no? I mean, look at Dota 2, it has an updated graphics engine (Source 2) but the gameplay is just trashy. A big part of what makes HoN great IS the K2 engine and it's applicability towards MOBA gameplay. What I would argue could use a revamp would be the homescreen/UI, that is a dead giveaway of the game's age. Other than that, If you play the game on High video settings it still looks gorgeous. Let's not forget there have been some major patches that also updated the textures (4.0 and I think 3.0 also). My point is, if you change the K2 engine (which is basically what would be required for you Hon2 new graphics and all that) it will most likely not feel like HoN anymore. 

I mean, those are all things you can design around.
You can work to create the exact aesthetic and gameplay you know and love. Everything you're describing as good could be recreated.
The purpose of a sequel wouldn't necessarily be to revamp the graphics, although that would be a great bonus.

Imo, the purpose of creating a sequel would be to have a fresh start with new ground rules.
- A lot has changed for games in 12+ years, the game existing natively on modern technology would help a bunch of things.
- If a sequel were to launch with some excellent tutorials and training in attempts to soften how steep the learning curve is, that would be a great resource for new players.

And I think most importantly of all is the community.
HoN has always had problems with how to approach moderation.
It's reached a sort of balance, since a game as complex as HoN has a lot of gray areas.
I think for real positive changes to actually be able to occur, you'd have to have a sequel to create a fresh start in people's minds, and you'd have to lay down some strict community moderation from the onset.
With that moderation, you would then have to take a hardline, low-tolerance or zero tolerance stance against anyone and everyone who is willing to engage in negative behavior.
That's something I don't think HoN can ever do this late in its lifetime.

I love HoN a lot, but this is one aspect of it that's always made it difficult to get friends into it.
A lot of the changes I think may be best for the game aren't even ones I would personally enjoy.
Like, technically from a design perspective, as fun as taunts are, and maybe some of the announcer feedback, they're kind of terrible design if you think about the mindset and community you're trying to cultivate.
I'm not thrilled to come to that conclusion, personally I absolutely love taunts and think they're incredibly fun. But you have to weigh both sides of the argument.
Even the moderation stuff, like, personally I don't really give a shit about that much. I was forged in the fires of HoN and 4chan, from 15 onwards it gave me a skin thick enough to be able to handle any and all verbal attacks.
But to the same token, I think the idea that you have to toughen up that much just to be able to play this online game, is probably a crappy foundation on which to build your community.
For a game's community to be healthy, relatively positive or have any real longevity, I think you kind of need to do what Jeff Kaplan did with Overwatch, and tell toxic players something along the lines of "If you're going to engage in toxic behavior, then we don't want you playing our game under any circumstances."

Obviously I still think HoN is more than worth any amount of irritation it can cause, but that doesn't change that the vast majority of the times I close HoN at the end of an evening are after barely losing a game that my team had absolutely no business losing, all because 2+ members of my team got really bitchy at each other and raged/threw.
The kicker being that, as someone who is relatively familiar with the rules, I know that there's nothing they were doing that would be grounds for a successful report, but was still more than enough to cost us the game.

idk
I didn't mean for this post/thread to become where I unloaded those ideas, but now that they're written out, I may as well post it.
Cheers guys

On 1/31/2021 at 1:38 AM, ElementUser said:

Hello,

As average players, there is plenty you can do! Simply play the game, spread positivity, report and discourage negativity/toxicity, and talk about the game to your friends & try to get them to play! You can also try to take a more active role in social media to help HoN out.

As content creators, you can always make videos on Youtube. Some channels like Scumbag Network create amazing content: https://www.youtube.com/user/scumbagnetwork

As tournament organizers, you can always make small tournaments yourself and eventually get noticed and sponsored by us if the conditions are met.  See HoNest for a good example of this: https://www.honestorg.com/tournaments

You can also do other cool stuff like what this guy did (to maintain a forked variant of honbot): https://hon-stats.herokuapp.com/

You can also create your own websites to fulfill some non-existing positive functionality that will help HoN users! With development, the possibilities are pretty plentiful.

You never need to donate to HoN to help support it, and we appreciate any kind of positive help from players 🙂 

I created enormous HoN 5.0 topic (old forums, post is gone) with tons of cool stuff, improvements, bug fixes, ideas, remakes (abilities & heroes), new heroes, systems, everything literally, big and small things. 
0 interest. Totally HoN is not worth the time, sacrifice because everything is ignored. 

The only thing from that post what was implemented to the game was the blinking HoN icon on taskbar when you are in windows and match is found so people do not AFK during picking phase and I wasnt even mentioned in patch notes, didnt receive any prize for that idea being implemented. 

1 hour ago, ensid said:

I created enormous HoN 5.0 topic (old forums, post is gone) with tons of cool stuff, improvements, bug fixes, ideas, remakes (abilities & heroes), new heroes, systems, everything literally, big and small things. 
0 interest. Totally HoN is not worth the time, sacrifice because everything is ignored. 

The only thing from that post what was implemented to the game was the blinking HoN icon on taskbar when you are in windows and match is found so people do not AFK during picking phase and I wasnt even mentioned in patch notes, didnt receive any prize for that idea being implemented. 

Changes not being done does not mean something is ignored.

Your post would hold a lot more merit if say, it was done at the time when there was an abundance of developers and resources on this game, and the game was at its prime.