Whats up with the matchmaking?

Seems like every game I play has at least 300 mmr difference between the highest and lowest player. 

I would much rather wait a little longer for a more even game than get a quick crap game thats over immedeately.

Edited by SupaPowaXXL
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Wankerjoe said:

mmr doesn't mean shit, never has. 🙂

That's not true.
Before BR was removed, I've played only that and only on my own for years and did always reach within the same 50 MMR no matter what account. That's clear indication of it working. Also games were very balanced back then.

18 hours ago, SupaPowaXXL said:

Seems like every game I play has at least 300 mmr difference between the highest and lowest player. 

I would much rather wait a little longer for a more even game than get a quick crap game thats over immedeately.

It's easy to destroy a ranking system, it's hard to establish one - especially with a small player base. It has gotten better over the last year, but it will probably never be real good again. However there's not really much you can do without a huge amount of money put into machine learning for balance - which might or might not work.

I'm mostly concerned with mw but is there a difference between the mm in ranked mode and midwars?

Here's one game I played today, 324 mmr difference:

https://imgur.com/a/ygqOoM6

Here's another one, only 769 mmr difference:

https://imgur.com/a/ovKXZBV

(I should point out the people in the pictures are not in a group together)

This takes a lot of fun out of the game and this is why people get to complain about high mmr 5 groups.

PS can someone message me how to get pictures in posts, I can't get it to work

3 hours ago, SupaPowaXXL said:

I'm mostly concerned with mw but is there a difference between the mm in ranked mode and midwars?

This takes a lot of fun out of the game and this is why people get to complain about high mmr 5 groups.

PS can someone message me how to get pictures in posts, I can't get it to work

Arbitrarily, I feel MMR disparity is a worse culprit in MM games than in ranked mode. No way that 700MMR difference can happen without people queuing together. Not that I don't feel like this disparity shouldn't exist in the first place, I'm wondering if in practice the MMR disparity in MM has a smaller effect than in ranked mode simply because there's far more gold + xp to go around in MW and so a little more difficult for one player to have as much of an impact as in ranked.

12 hours ago, Manu311 said:

That's not true.
Before BR was removed, I've played only that and only on my own for years and did always reach within the same 50 MMR no matter what account. That's clear indication of it working. Also games were very balanced back then.

Yes, it is true. Especially because certain stuff, like support, got less just because. (dunno about know, but that was a thing they thought was fine)

Games were never balanced, especially ones with RNG bullcrap in them. (random bounces, crit chance, etc)

7 hours ago, AgentZer0 said:

Arbitrarily, I feel MMR disparity is a worse culprit in MM games than in ranked mode. No way that 700MMR difference can happen without people queuing together. Not that I don't feel like this disparity shouldn't exist in the first place, I'm wondering if in practice the MMR disparity in MM has a smaller effect than in ranked mode simply because there's far more gold + xp to go around in MW and so a little more difficult for one player to have as much of an impact as in ranked.

Well mw is a more straight forward mode, there are less strategy options, but that doesn't mean decision making and skill doesn't matter. If anything this makes the mmr difference more relevant because people "playing wrong" will have a larger impact on the entire team and game. 

IF mw mm allows a larger mmr difference it's only causing frustrating games and making people create another smurf account. There is no reason to grind up to a high mmr just to have mm "even the odds" by having you play with someone 700 mmr below you. So you either group up, which is frustrating for the other team, or you make a new account, which is unfair for the players already struggling to rise. 

1 hour ago, Wankerjoe said:

Yes, it is true. Especially because certain stuff, like support, got less just because. (dunno about know, but that was a thing they thought was fine)

Games were never balanced, especially ones with RNG bullcrap in them. (random bounces, crit chance, etc)

I don't know why you are trying to discuss "if mmr matters"

Imho games are pretty balanced unless a higher ranked person is queuing with a lower ranked person. HoN used to implement a system where if you were queuing with people you would have to be near same rank. But I don't think people liked that very much.

For example : Valorant has a ranking system where you cannot queue with people if you are more than 3 rank difference and once you pass a certain rank (Immortal/Radiant) you cannot go more than 2Q. So if it was HoN. It would be like Gold 4 cannot Queue up with a Diamond 3; And if once you hit like Diamond you cannot go more than 2Q. 

This prevents boosting.

18 hours ago, SupaPowaXXL said:

Are you sure that this is Ranked Foc and not MW? Afaik MW has no limitations on MMR, everyone can get into every team - which is also why there wasn't a mmr displayed for MW for the longest time. The MMR is only used to distribute the players between the two teams.
MW simply doesn't have enough players - and they aren't willing to wait as long as Foc-players. Besides if both teams have the same amount of bad players, they should mostly balance out and the good players should take advantage of the enemies feeders and teach their own noobs. That's also "skill".

If it's not MW, there's no way they aren't in one group - they might not tell you the truth if you ask them. If I see them being that near to the minimum mmr and that high on the other player, they might even be abusing the system.

26 minutes ago, Manu311 said:

Are you sure that this is Ranked Foc and not MW? Afaik MW has no limitations on MMR, everyone can get into every team - which is also why there wasn't a mmr displayed for MW for the longest time. The MMR is only used to distribute the players between the two teams.
MW simply doesn't have enough players - and they aren't willing to wait as long as Foc-players. Besides if both teams have the same amount of bad players, they should mostly balance out and the good players should take advantage of the enemies feeders and teach their own noobs. That's also "skill".

If it's not MW, there's no way they aren't in one group - they might not tell you the truth if you ask them. If I see them being that near to the minimum mmr and that high on the other player, they might even be abusing the system.

The pictures are from midwars games. 

I don't think mm just puts every mmr together and then "hits autobalance" in midwars. From my experience there's usually no problem if you solo q on a 1500-1850 account, it's above 1850 it starts getting weird. 

1 hour ago, SupaPowaXXL said:

The pictures are from midwars games. 

I don't think mm just puts every mmr together and then "hits autobalance" in midwars. From my experience there's usually no problem if you solo q on a 1500-1850 account, it's above 1850 it starts getting weird. 

I don't have official confirmation, but that's like I always have seen MW games. I've always had players with very low mmr (and skill) in both teams whenever I played MW. However it's not my gamemode, so I don't have that much games.