This is one of those items that I haven't seen been picked up during this patch whatsoever, even I was wondering why you did change the item in the first place?

The problem with having it as a "midgame" item is that there are way better items to get for that instead over AOTMM, like Icon of the Godess, Grimoire of Power, Spellshards for example. 

I think it should be the magic counterpart for Daemonic Breastplate, and Daemonic is more of a lategame item as you benefit more from it getting it in the lategame instead of midgame. 

I think it should be reverted to how it was before this patch and I think it will be fine agian 🙂

I think it's kind of in this middle zone of "I'm not entirely sure where I'm suppose to be right now". It's not a powerful item, and it's not a weak item, but it costs too much for what it delivers. I think either make it a powerful item with a powerful cost, or make it cost less with a weaker effect.

If its a powerful item, it has to have use to it that Spellshards do not deliver. Spellshards cost ~3350 gold for the full effect, and they do it much better than Armor of the Mad Mage does. It's like having an item that gives you 65% Physical Armor Penetration for 3350 gold, and at the same time having a Daemonic Breastplate for the large price tag of 5000+ gold. No one would pick Daemonic Breastplate ever again.

Either make it a cheap niche item that costs ~2200 gold, provides some -magic armor and armor additions, or give it a new identity, an identity that is unique and does not overlap and is overshadowed by Spellshards.

Rather give flat amount of phys armor that can be useless in most of the situtation. I suggest this item should give Status resistance, reduce the time of the debuff on the owner and it dont stack with other skill. 

For Example: Active to gain 50% status resistance in 8 seconds.

Stat resistance can reduce the time of blue buff, make if different from shurken head and Void talisman. We can change the recipe of this item to make it worth to buy for the passive bonus

Edited by w3_StarBoy

HoN SEA Player

Mad Mage conceptually is fine, the problem with the item is that it's straddling two worlds, being an expensive endgame item and an early game item and because of that it kind of falls flat on both accounts.

I would say either it needs to drop to about 2500 gold (keep the -3 Magic Armor aura and the active) or be increased to a higher cost in the 4k range (and then have it's active and aura buffed accordingly).

As it stands, I think the item just needs a clearer direction. It competes with Frostfield Plate and Spellshards right now, though being able to amplify your allies' damage is good. The active is good but not particularly interesting when you think that you could get a Void + a Nome's or Astro for almost the same cost.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

Just want to put some ideas here. Perhaps adding the aura with Stun and Debuff Duration increase makes it strong pickup and unique. 

Edited by datfizh
  • Like 1

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the - magic armor aura on this item, it's a cool concept for heroes like Electrician. However as previously stated in this thread the item suffers from never really being the best item of choice at any given point. This used to be the problem before as well when it was competing with frostfield, however frostfield got nerfed kinda hard and I wonder if mad mage kept its original value and concept + the minus magic armor, would it then be viable?

• 1 month later...

Did you just say Icon is better?
There is exactly three heroes in this entire pool of more than one hundred that can USE icon:
Parallax, Oogie, Dr. Repulsor, ARGUABlY maybe Armadon.
But for each single one, there are better items to get, INCLUDING (with the exception of Armadon) Armor of the Mad Mage.
Icon is probably the most useless item there is in this game.
It offers NOTHING worth 3k+ gold. Even Stormspirit grants more value for the same price in terms of utility and flexibility.

Armor does not get picked because it is a midrange item that is more or less useless in lategame due to terrible active (20 temporary armor is a joke, #harkonsblade and no longer selfpurges) and because magic spell damage falls off in lategame anyway. Item might actually be absolutely superior on Qi tho. Youd have to get it just to replace it. which is why midgame items usually don't get picked up by tanks or carries anyway, and most supports can't afford the luxury of such a niche item.

It is inherently flawed as a midrange item by design to begin with.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MerryHONmas said:

Did you just say Icon is better?
There is exactly three heroes in this entire pool of more than one hundred that can USE icon:
Parallax, Oogie, Dr. Repulsor, ARGUABlY maybe Armadon.

Don't forget Torturer and Electrician.

Edited by Ladonien
11 hours ago, Ladonien said:

Don't forget Torturer and Electrician.

Electrician I agree, Tort i am a torn about, idk, think he is more viable as an actual aggressive offlane support but that may just be me