Heroes of newerth on linux?

Yes, two ways

1: Download the Linux Client here: http://dl.heroesofnewerth.com/installers/linux/HoNClient.sh

PLEASE NOTE: We no longer officially support mac or linux 32-bit client, please see this thread for more information: Mac & Linux Clients - Unofficial Downloads - Community Tech Support - HoN Forums (heroesofnewerth.com)

2: Download the 64-Bit Windows Client, you'll see a pin above in this forum with a download link and run it using WINE.

There will also be a refresher linux client sometime down the road built with up to date tech, tho this in 70% of cases won't result in better FPS but just better compatibility, load times and stability. (that, and new opengl api)

Edited by HyperXewl
  • Like 2

Third way: Use my AppImage which should run almost everywhere out of the box:

11 hours ago, HyperXewl said:

this in 70% of cases won't result in better FPS but just better compatibility, load times and stability. (that, and new opengl api)

Faster load times? Since forever I was by far the fastest one to load games (I guess 64bit Windows might have caught up). Crashs usually happened once every 2000 games - so basically never. And compatibility just requires to install the correct library-versions - and my AppImage removes every effort you might need for this 🤔.
The more important improvements would probably be: Official support (again) and the fix for the OpenGL-Gamma-Issue.
Or for more personally I guess I'm hoping for constant 60 FPS on a 2012 office notebook without dedicated graphics, since currently I get drops down to ~20 during fights (which is perfectly reasonable for this kind of machine).

15 hours ago, HyperXewl said:

Yes, two ways

1: Download the Linux Client here: http://dl.heroesofnewerth.com/installers/linux/HoNClient.sh

PLEASE NOTE: We no longer officially support mac or linux 32-bit client, please see this thread for more information: Mac & Linux Clients - Unofficial Downloads - Community Tech Support - HoN Forums (heroesofnewerth.com)

2: Download the 64-Bit Windows Client, you'll see a pin above in this forum with a download link and run it using WINE.

There will also be a refresher linux client sometime down the road built with up to date tech, tho this in 70% of cases won't result in better FPS but just better compatibility, load times and stability. (that, and new opengl api)

Hi,

I downloaded the HonClient.sh. it was about 5gb.

After running it, nothing happened - it opened terminal and immediately closed. Is this expected behaviour?

- I am using Macbook Pro. 64 bits

5 minutes ago, JcrewJaruto said:

Hi,

After running it, nothing happened - it opened terminal and immediately closed. Is this expected behaviour?

My bad, i noticed i needed the mac version stated here: 

8 hours ago, JcrewJaruto said:

Hi,

Hi, if you're running Catalina/Big sur you'll be unable to play HoN at this stage unless you download an application called Parralell desktops, and emulate windows 10.

This is because those OS dropped 32 Bit applications, however additionally on that note in January I'll be releasing a closed beta of a working 64 Bit mac client to those who opt in.

1 hour ago, HyperXewl said:

Hi, if you're running Catalina/Big sur you'll be unable to play HoN at this stage unless you download an application called Parralell desktops, and emulate windows 10.

This is because those OS dropped 32 Bit applications, however additionally on that note in January I'll be releasing a closed beta of a working 64 Bit mac client to those who opt in.

Hi HyperXwel,

I tried downloading the mac version, but it still didnt work for me, i posted the question on here: 

My specs are: macbook pro, macOS Majave (i didnt upgrade to Catalina).

Yes, I would be interested in a closed beta version - if it can allow me to play with friends in the UK and US who are on WIndows

Edited by JcrewJaruto

Hey HyoerXewl,

Yes I downloaded that mac version yesterday (twice), and it still didn't work.

• I got an error message after trying to launch the app (installation was successful). Error message: "Heroes of Newerth" Is damaged and can't be opened
  • I then tried deleting and reinstalling the app several times (from both .dmg file i downloaded) and it still didn't work.

Not sure what else I could do.

• I tried checking if there was any app data i could delete in ~/Library/Application Support/  but I wasn't able to find any folder that was Heroes of Newerth related.

(Macbook is a 64 bit, macOS Majave)

Mac:
The unsupported Heroes of Newerth Mac client is currently 32-bit. This means if you're running a version after Mojave on your Mac system you won't be able to play, since Apple dropped support for 32-bit applications. A 64-bit version of Heroes of Newerth Mac is currently in the works to support playing on Catalina and later, but it's not here yet.

If you're having trouble installing on Mojave or earlier versions of Mac, make sure you're first Allowing Third Party Applications to be installed.
-> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Enter PW and Unlock -> Check Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere

Linux:
-- Install the gconf package. (gconf-service if you're on Ubuntu?)

-- Then install HoN by opening the Terminal in the Folder you downloaded the HoNClient.sh file and typing: sh HoNClient.sh
Complete the setup process.

-- Now run [in Terminal]: rm ~/HoN/libs-x86_64/{libfreetype.so.6}
This removes a conflicting file on most Linux systems that prevents the game from starting.
Change the path if you didn't install HoN to the default location.

On a few systems you'll have to instead run ↓ in order for this to work.
Solus Linux is one example of this. Some distributions conflicts more with HoN than others.
rm ~/HoN/libs-x86_64/{libcurl.so.4,libfreetype.so.6,libgcc_s.so.1,libgcrypt.so.11,libspeexdsp.so.1,libspeex.so.1,libstdc++.so.6,libudev.so.0}

-- Now run HoN once. It likely won't start and just crash on launch. This is normal. HoN often doesn't create the needed startup.cfg file for some reason, so we'll have to do that ourselves to get the game to start. To do that ↓

--  Go to: ~/.Heroes of Newerth/game/ and create a new file called startup.cfg
-- This is a hidden folder/file. Hit CTRL+H in your Home directory to see the path.
-- In it type: SetSave "gl_modesetting" ""
Exit & Save

Now run HoN again, it should start up as normal.

-- This is assuming you already have all the necessary dependencies and drivers on your system. --

Afterword: I'd recommend you also install the gtk-engine-murrine package. If only to get rid of the Terminal warning. You may also want to repair the HoN Client after patching, then run the rm command from above again. It'll repair a couple of files and make sure the game is as optimal as it can be.
(Repairing also applies to 32-bit Windows Client.) -- HoN Options > Troubleshooting > Repair

For NVIDIA Users:
The game is locked to 60 FPS. To fix this, open up the NVIDIA X Server Settings, go to OpenGL Settings, uncheck Sync to VBlank.
This has to be done every time before starting the game. Even if it's already been unchecked, you have to open it back up, then check it and uncheck it again before starting the game, or you'll get a 60 FPS lock again. Not sure why this happens, but only HoN has this weird behavior. (Bug?)

Edited by Tsuzoi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, JcrewJaruto said:

Hey HyoerXewl,

Yes I downloaded that mac version yesterday (twice), and it still didn't work.

• I got an error message after trying to launch the app (installation was successful). Error message: "Heroes of Newerth" Is damaged and can't be opened
  • I then tried deleting and reinstalling the app several times (from both .dmg file i downloaded) and it still didn't work.

Not sure what else I could do.

• I tried checking if there was any app data i could delete in ~/Library/Application Support/  but I wasn't able to find any folder that was Heroes of Newerth related.

(Macbook is a 64 bit, macOS Majave)

I've had this issue before, I circumvented it with a bash cmd.

Try this in Terminal:

cd "/Applications/Heroes of Newerth"
./HoN

This might do it for you, unsure if mac hon folder is called exactly that, you can check by just going "cd /Applications" and typing "ls" can't remember what retail mac folder is called.

If you still can't get it to work, I'd love to assist directly, get on touch with me on discord and I'll have it fixed guaranteed.

https://discord.gg/MfuM4b8w

Join this and send me a PM

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Tsuzoi said:

Linux:
-- Install the gconf package. (gconf-service if you're on Ubuntu?)

-- Then install HoN by opening the Terminal in the Folder you downloaded the HoNClient.sh file and typing: sh HoNClient.sh
Complete the setup process.

-- Now run [in Terminal]: rm ~/HoN/libs-x86_64/{libfreetype.so.6}
This removes a conflicting file on most Linux systems that prevents the game from starting.
Change the path if you didn't install HoN to the default location.

On a few systems you'll have to instead run ↓ in order for this to work.
Solus Linux is one example of this. Some distributions conflicts more with HoN than others.
rm ~/HoN/libs-x86_64/{libcurl.so.4,libfreetype.so.6,libgcc_s.so.1,libgcrypt.so.11,libspeexdsp.so.1,libspeex.so.1,libstdc++.so.6,libudev.so.0}

-- Now run HoN once. It likely won't start and just crash on launch. This is normal. HoN often doesn't create the needed startup.cfg file for some reason, so we'll have to do that ourselves to get the game to start. To do that ↓

--  Go to: ~/.Heroes of Newerth/game/ and create a new file called startup.cfg
-- This is a hidden folder/file. Hit CTRL+H in your Home directory to see the path.
-- In it type: SetSave "gl_modesetting" ""
Exit & Save

Now run HoN again, it should start up as normal.

-- This is assuming you already have all the necessary dependencies and drivers on your system. --

Afterword: I'd recommend you also install the gtk-engine-murrine package. If only to get rid of the Terminal warning. You may also want to repair the HoN Client after patching, then run the rm command from above again. It'll repair a couple of files and make sure the game is as optimal as it can be.
(Repairing also applies to 32-bit Windows Client.) -- HoN Options > Troubleshooting > Repair

For NVIDIA Users:
The game is locked to 60 FPS. To fix this, open up the NVIDIA X Server Settings, go to OpenGL Settings, uncheck Sync to VBlank.
This has to be done every time before starting the game. Even if it's already been unchecked, you have to open it back up, then check it and uncheck it again before starting the game, or you'll get a 60 FPS lock again. Not sure why this happens, but only HoN has this weird behavior. (Bug?)

Holy ..... I've never had so much things to do to run HoN.

A few additions:

• Hotkeys are dependent on your file browser, they might differ
  • Try to run HoN first before deleting the libfreetype.so.6 - if you delete it, make sure your system actually has a replacement (usually at /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6) same goes for all these files: libcurl.so.4,libfreetype.so.6,libgcc_s.so.1,libgcrypt.so.11,libspeexdsp.so.1,libspeex.so.1,libstdc++.so.6,libudev.so.0
  • The vsync ("lock to display refresh rate and prevent tearing") which nvidia apparently does by default can be changed permanently if you create a xorg.conf. Nvidia-settings can do this for you
  • Oh and basically all of this is replaced by just running my AppImage which just brings (most of) its own little linux in a box 😉.
5 hours ago, HyperXewl said:

I've had this issue before, I circumvented it with a bash cmd.

Try this in Terminal:

cd "/Applications/Heroes of Newerth"
./HoN

This might do it for you, unsure if mac hon folder is called exactly that, you can check by just going "cd /Applications" and typing "ls" can't remember what retail mac folder is called.

If you still can't get it to work, I'd love to assist directly, get on touch with me on discord and I'll have it fixed guaranteed.

https://discord.gg/MfuM4b8w

Join this and send me a PM

This worked!!! Thank you!

Ok, so basically, i just need to launch HoN using command line going forward. I'm ok with that

On 12/26/2020 at 2:00 AM, HyperXewl said:

Hi, HyperXewl

I would like to opt in for 64bit mac client beta. How can I do that?

I've been in HoN since early beta in 2009, so all this situation with 64bit client beta looks pretty deja-vu like 😄