Back from years away

Weird title? Hey guys, thinking to get back in. How are things? Hopefully all is well. I had a few questions and hoped to get some direction. Thanks in advance!

1. Any idea what the playerbase numbers are? I've witnessed a lot of changes over the years- especially the dota 2 exodus. So I was wondering what to expect these days?

2. Are mods still a thing? And where can I find them? I had installed a few years ago and one called "stump mod" comes to mind. Some ui ones were nice too.

3. Any major changes or new rules I should be aware of?

4. I've skimmed through the forums, are there any new heroes in the works? Goldenveil was released around this date 3 years ago.

Oh how I wish HoN could be popularity king of all mobas. It will always be #1 moba in my heart. Melancholy feelings for days. Anyways thanks for reading!

Edited by mrgrinch

1) We've not had an online counter for quite some time, so hard to tell. But know there are usually a couple thousand players playing (normal/peak times). You'll usually find a match within 3-4 minutes on a rating of 1500-1700 MMR. [EU] -- Unsure about other servers.

2) Just how it was in the past, mods are available. Most are however not maintained and very hit or miss if they work or not, or cause some other incompatibilities with the client. I also don't know if they work with the new Windows 64-bit client or not as I'm not on Windows. Someone else may be able to tell you.
-- Mods can be found here: Trello HoN Mod Repository

3) In-game chat macros are not allowed. (If you've not played for THAT long.)

4) There are no new heroes in the works (far as I know), the game is in maintenance mode. Currently we've only been getting balance patches and some hero re-work work. (except for the latest patch that had some updated models & new alt-avatar.).

Frostburn Studios recently opened up Donations, where you can see what they're working on besides the balance stuff.
What they've done so far is a new 64-bit client for Windows and they also added a themed Forest of Caldavar map + X-mas music.
For current status you can check that out here: Donation Goals

Edited by Tsuzoi
  • Like 1

I think the Trello Mod-Repository is just from @EngineerT, so it's an unofficial resource for mods (probably a good one).

This forum also still has it's own mod-section where you might find additional information, mods or simply help: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/forum/10-modifications/
I've even had luck with asking around if someone could fix a mod for me 😉.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 11:19 AM, nutsy said:

stay away this game is like crack cocaine. It will destroy you

Game is Iike that super hot exgirIfriend that aIso drives you insane. No matter how many times you teII yourseIf you gonna stop seeing her, you aIways end up back with her.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, Froschbein said:

Game is Iike that super hot exgirIfriend that aIso drives you insane. No matter how many times you teII yourseIf you gonna stop seeing her, you aIways end up back with her.

Can relate brother

Stay away, FoC is literally dead, stupid map, stupid kongors, literally too many juke spots, everywhere, playing ganker is dead, its too easy to recover, 0 balanced heroes, you can play MW tho and see same heroes every game

On 12/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, YoUCan`THidE said:

Just because you dont like FoC, doesn't mean FoC is bad.
I personally dont like MW, yet i dont think its a bad concept.

FoC is dead, its support+carry game. Gankers are dead and not worthy to pick anymore, its to oeasy to recover, miss old good times when dominating mid lane as gauntlet, deadwood made sense and you could carry the game solo by dominating enemies with high nuke hero and help out allies

On 12/24/2020 at 3:46 AM, ensid said:

Stay away, FoC is literally dead, stupid map, stupid kongors, literally too many juke spots, everywhere, playing ganker is dead, its too easy to recover, 0 balanced heroes, you can play MW tho and see same heroes every game

Super toxic, if you don't like the game don't play it, but don't spread hate just because you suck at something. The game is alive with 2-3min queue, how is that dead? 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:00 PM, marveh said:

Super toxic, if you don't like the game don't play it, but don't spread hate just because you suck at something. The game is alive with 2-3min queue, how is that dead? 

this game is dead lol in terms of population and tournaments

20 minutes ago, ensid said:

this game is dead lol in terms of population and tournaments

Game isn't dead as long as there are people playing it. Less popular doesn't mean dead.

It's like me calling you a human waste just because you are not Roger Federer or someone similar...

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

I've heard there are fortnite forums, so you might want to go there and share your thoughts.

• Like 1