Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Ah yes, a fresh match of Forests of Caldavar. Things are about to go awry for your team, however. A mere five minutes in, your hard carry has missed more last hits than one of your teammates will tolerate. And then, in the corner of your eye you see it, that dreadful demand: "CC 15."

Now, that is not the only situation that may cause someone to call for an early concede. Your support isn't warding to a teammate's liking? "CC 15." Has a battle gone awry? "CC 15." Does a teammate dislike one of his teammates? "CC 15." Did a rune get stolen? "CC 15." Is a teammate not buying traditional items? "CC 15." The list goes on and on.

What do these reasons share in common? None of them are determinant by nature for whether a game will be won or not. Unfortunately, "CC 15" is often called nonetheless.

I have seen many a game that is winnable, but conceded regardless. I could posit hypotheses for why, but ultimately, I cannot read someone else's mind. What I can do, is write my position on the matter.

If a game is not going to your liking early on, that is not reason enough to concede. In fact, conceding early may prove detrimental. For one, what if the game is in fact winnable? And two, how does conceding whenever a match doesn't unfold in one's favor help the skill of any player ?

Fleeing from loss and failure is not a good strategy to improve skill.

Edited by Deathman25

After you experience games that you literally bleed from your fingers in order to win them, you time every last hit perfectly, gank, buy the correct items for the situation - and despite all that, you still lose, because offlane Devourer decided to go for Codex and go farm woods, your brain becomes pre-conditioned to detect signs of potential grief, even if such grief does not exist in reality.

Many times people are playing 10 games in a row without a break, there is a lot of adrenaline involved in their bodies, their ability to perceive reality in a calm and logical manner is hindered - and even at the slightest hint of failure/potential grief/loss, they over-exaggerate the situation at hand.

What happens thereafter is an attempt to salvage any possible victory from the perceived loss, and the victory at hand is time. The CC 15 phrase is, in my opinion, an attempt at salvaging the precious time the person is giving away, time which in his brain - is already lost.

I don't think it's a bad thing, I don't think it's a good thing, but it is what it is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I play this game for enjoyment and when people start acting up it's not fun anymore. So please cc 15. I don't care if we have potential of winning or not. I'm not going to sit here and listen to people cry for the next 40 minutes about how bad we are or that I should be doing this or that. Nah just cc.

Edited by Yuffie
13 minutes ago, Yuffie said:

I play this game for enjoyment and when people start acting up it's not fun anymore. So please cc 15. I don't care if we have potential of winning or not. I'm not going to sit here and listen to people cry for the next 40 minutes about how bad we are or that I should be doing this or that. Nah just cc.

I play this game for enjoyment as well. In my opinion, conceding is not enjoyable when there are viable paths remaining.

I find it questionable that your main argument places the fault with others. 

There exists an ignore function if you dislike what someone is saying in HoN. You quite literally don't have to "listen to people cry for the next 40 minutes about how bad we are or that I should be doing this or that."

If I go ahead and ignore my teammates or most of them I might as well go and play versus Bots. 

How is my main argument placing fault on others when I said they're the ones yelling at me? That's some victim blaming if you ask me. 

3 hours ago, Lunarios said:

After you experience games that you literally bleed from your fingers in order to win them, you time every last hit perfectly, gank, buy the correct items for the situation - and despite all that, you still lose, because offlane Devourer decided to go for Codex and go farm woods, your brain becomes pre-conditioned to detect signs of potential grief, even if such grief does not exist in reality.

Many times people are playing 10 games in a row without a break, there is a lot of adrenaline involved in their bodies, their ability to perceive reality in a calm and logical manner is hindered - and even at the slightest hint of failure/potential grief/loss, they over-exaggerate the situation at hand.

What happens thereafter is an attempt to salvage any possible victory from the perceived loss, and the victory at hand is time. The CC 15 phrase is, in my opinion, an attempt at salvaging the precious time the person is giving away, time which in his brain - is already lost.

These are explanations, but certainly not justifications. Assuming negative intent is no way to operate. One issue with this type of thinking is that it's entirely self-centered, which can result in decisions that are detrimental to others.

Digressing, your post is well written 👍.

7 minutes ago, Yuffie said:

If I go ahead and ignore my teammates or most of them I might as well go and play versus Bots. 

Why?

9 minutes ago, Yuffie said:

How is my main argument placing fault on others when I said they're the ones yelling at me? That's some victim blaming if you ask me. 

It is not possible that you are always a victim.

6 hours ago, Lunarios said:

I don't think it's a bad thing, I don't think it's a good thing, but it is what it is. 

I agree! what is the point of enjoying the game, winning a 4 game streak then straight loses in the end? after years of playing the only way to achieve fun, either win or lose, is to assume that every match up is a 1 vs 9.

i recon this one match, as an example, years ago in which my team was 2 towers away from victory. my team mates doesnt want to end the game and prolong it further with no solid reason at all, brain dead they are. players on the other team were enjoying their last minute and waiting for their envitable end(they didnt cc). So furious i am, i sold the game to the other team for 2 dooms in exchange they win it in the short amount of time and so they did. 10 of us were not happy, enemy won the game not by their hard effort, unsatisfied, team mates lost their minds, and me lost a couple of brain cells!

The reason is that there are a Iot of pIayers with thousands of games, that pIay hon for 5+ years. Those pIayers know that for exampIe a not warding support makes the game 20 times harder. So instead of trying to win despite someone eIse obvious griefing it's mostIy Iess time consuming to just concede as fast as possibIe. You aIso get Iess tiIted if you cc15 the games with griefing peopIe as expIained in OP's post.

Of course every game is "winnabIe" in theory but many pIayers do not Iike to keep on pIaying if this chance to win is beIow 20%.

Let the weak leave if they don't want to keep playing. If you are not ready to win 4v5, 3v5, 2v5 and ultimately 1v5... you are not worthy to fight for Newerth. 

Never concede, never surrender. Lose with honor. Win humbly. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Remove concede entirely, just like in Dota 2, if you KNOW you will be spending like 20 - 60min with your team, it wouldn't be as fun to grief/walk around doing nothing for 20 - 60min. 

There is more griefing games in HoN than in Dota in my experience. I'm not saying it will solve everything by removing the concede vote, however I do believe people will actually try abit harder if they know they cant just scream "CC 15" and then be semi-afk for 15-25min before the team gets tired of you and cc. 

But what do I know, monkaS 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, Slingslang said:

Remove concede entirely, just like in Dota 2, if you KNOW you will be spending like 20 - 60min with your team, it wouldn't be as fun to grief/walk around doing nothing for 20 - 60min. 

There is more griefing games in HoN than in Dota in my experience. I'm not saying it will solve everything by removing the concede vote, however I do believe people will actually try abit harder if they know they cant just scream "CC 15" and then be semi-afk for 15-25min before the team gets tired of you and cc. 

But what do I know, monkaS 

You are wrong, when you get one of those griefers that dive alone 4 heroes and then blame you for not following up and die with them and decide to just follow you around taking as much farm and exp as they can while using their skills to cancel your tps, trap you, ks you, it doesnt matter how long the game last, you will most certainly not try to win for that guy, plus there is no reason to get higher in rank since season rewards ended a while ago.

That's just Moba tho, usually it helps with not giving them any attention, a suggestion from me would be to just /ignore and put a nice track on and just do what you think is best for your team (and I don't mean going afk farm for 30min until lose, I mean that mentality "I need shrunken before we can fight, let's wait 2min more b4 we fight"). Just talk to ur team as if that griefer wasn't there and they will soon lose their rage and start doing ABIT better atleast 😉 

And also, I play for rank, love climbing ranks, I don't care that the season never ends, I wanna achieve stuff, and for me, a rank is enough x)