Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
nailzy

AoE freeze bug still a thing

Posted (edited)

It seems to be happening more and more. Can't see anything in my console log still - but with heroes like Tempest / Flint / Hammerstorm that have an activatable ability that shows a large aoe indicator - it's still causing a few second freeze occasionally. Tempest does it really bad for me, especially if we just start midwars and we go for firstblood outside their well. It doesn't even walk my hero back, it just sits there lol

Can't see anything in my console log, and currently on a fresh Windows 10 build.

Is there any debug flags that I can run HoN with to capture some extra logging?

Edited by nailzy

Posted (edited)

Not that I know of. If we're ready to look into this bug again, we'll let players know.

Edited by ElementUser

I also got issues with this but i thought it was only me i got a thread going about it in the tech support part of the forum. 

I heard from a guy that a temporary thing you can do is to drop one item on the floor at the start of the game and pick it up and for some reason that helps. 

Posted (edited)

I might also add that in the video thats one of the smaller lagspikes i gotten some for over 5 sec but it seem to be from around 0.5-5 sec on avarage and for some reason happens only once per game. 

My guess is that the game somehow dont load in all nessesary resources for the aoe range indicators or aoe skills so the game lags until it is fully loaded. 

Edited by Niklason
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, it's one of the smaller ones. However it let me realize that it seems to mostly happens with heroes that have a range indicator for the ability, and an AoE indicator of where it's going to land.

Work around is to drop an item before the creeps meet to buffer the lag. This bug has been around forever, but anecdotally, my stack has been seeing it while it was isolated to just me before.

Posted (edited)

@ElementUser Managed to capture another occurrence when doing a ward placement 2 mins into the game, much longer this time.

Something I've noticed which is present in both videos - is that the freeze seems to happen when the AoE indicators are changing from yellow to green to indicate you can actually activate it? So for example in this video - the freeze occurred as soon as my mouse cursor entered the AoE circle for placing the ward.

https://streamable.com/oic5t6

Edited by nailzy

We know that's how to replicate it on some PCs. The problem is we don't know why it only happens to a subset of players/machines.

For example, not once has it ever happened to myself or any other developer, yet we know some of our friends encounter it. We have tried looking at this in the past & we haven't seen any real pattern/common factor among the people who do encounter the issue.

One thing to look at is the graphic configuration for people that get it vs people that don't, I do get the issue too now consistently and it happens only the first time I use the ability that has a radius indicator after that it stops happening.

Posted (edited)

2 players mentioned to me that they reinstalled HoN & that fixed it for them.

It's the most classic Tech Support advice ever & it still seems to work in some cases. I suggest users at least give this a try.

Edited by ElementUser

Unfortunately not a fix for me. I've tried a clean install of the latest Win10 build from MS and the issue is the same. I'm trying changing a graphics / UI setting once per day in case it's something from my cloud save configuration options.

same here always freeze when first time i use a aoe skill. tried to reinstall hon , reinstall win 10 , sill same.

Posted (edited)

Well, since next patch is the HoNiversary one, I've added a solution for players at the start of each game. It won't be automatic because there isn't a script event that can actually bring up the targeting cursor, but at least the option is there for all players for next patch.

You'll see what it is - I can consider this resolved with a temporary measure & it is what it is.

Edited by ElementUser

Posted (edited)

I do have the same problem, it happens whenever i try to drop the item "Logger's Hatchet" and in some AoE ult habilities, such as Bubbles, Kraken, ult for example and in some normal skills like Pyro AoE stun, it is annoying since this bug drops FPS drastically and i do have a good PC to run this game lol.

Edited by `Testiecles

@`Testiecles @ElementUser

Would you mind sharing your console.log , game_settings_local.cfg and startup.cfg files? At least we know we have two people who get the issue, and then you that does not, to see if I can correlate anything.

Just an ask to take up some free time of mine.

2 minutes ago, nailzy said:

@`Testiecles @ElementUser

Would you mind sharing your console.log , game_settings_local.cfg and startup.cfg files? At least we know we have two people who get the issue, and then you that does not, to see if I can correlate anything.

Just an ask to take up some free time of mine.

i'm sorry, what you mean i dont? i do have the same issue.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, `Testiecles said:

i'm sorry, what you mean i dont? i do have the same issue.

You do have the same issue, but with different items and such. I also get the same as you with loggers hatchet and several AoE abilities and Ults.

The person who doesnt have the same issue is ElementUser 🙂

Edited by nailzy

41 minutes ago, EpicPhilely said:

Try to delete Awesomium_process.exe  in task manager 

I'll try that and i'll let you know, thank you.

12 hours ago, EpicPhilely said:

Try to delete Awesomium_process.exe  in task manager 

Nope, it doesn't work.

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's a graphics card issue. Did you use NVIDIA? (Assuming because of the video clip). Maybe try to change the graphics setting away from DX 9 / Open GL (and maybe other graphics options) Only solution I can think of. Also try to see your GFX performance graph with task manager.

Edited by EtansAMilker

Posted (edited)

= Items =

New Item: Spyglass
- Given to all players at the start of the game.
- Activate to bring up the targeting cursor.
* Using Spyglass will transform it into harmless confetti at the target location.
* Sells for 0 Gold (can be sold though).
* Cannot be dropped.
* Expires after 90 seconds.

+ This item solely exists for the select few players who are experiencing the AoE indicator lag, as there has not been a common factor among the tiny fraction of players that experience this issue & nobody has been able to pinpoint what causes this issue.
+ Previously known as one of the most useless items in HoN's history, Spyglass makes its way back into Newerth and finally becomes useful to a small subset of players!

This is coming to the game tomorrow.

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 1

I used to have this issue but the suggestion of reinstalling the game fixed it for me so it is probably not hardware related