Jump to content

Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

❌Public Game Matchmaking✅


❌ Public Game Matchmaking ✅  

19 members have voted

  1. 1. Should HoN add Public Matchmaking?

    • Yes.
      8
    • Not really.
      11


Recommended Posts

Hello there fellow Newerthian,

I have created this poll because after talking with a few HoN streamers  I came to realize that we all agreed on the subject that HoN has a steep learning curve pretty much like every other MOBA but HoN has no Public Matchmaking, no one actually creates public rooms anymore either which means new players are pushed into Ranked Matchmaking straight off the bat, 90% of the time the player ends up getting bashed because he's new at the game and will most likely result in the player not wanting to play anymore.

I believe Public Matchmaking should be added in order to avoid this, players will be able to play without fear of losing their rank and will have the freedom to experience the game as they should.

EDIT:

After a few comments there have been some great suggestions and I have also thought of some new things so instead of just making the Public Matchmaking with FoC, the idea would be to have the option to choose from a selection of maps, bringing back the old school dev wars, rift wars, prophet wars, SD FoC, AR FoC, etc, this would work in a similar way to CS:GO where you select the maps you'd like to play before queuing, Mid Wars would also be included in this map pool, this would fix the issue with splitting up the queue too much between Public MM, Ranked MM and Mid Wars, it would just take over the MidWars queue.

Technichally all the maps will have a split queue but since we're merging those together by having the player select multiple maps from the pool it would work either way, some maps might take longer but eventually with more new players coming into the game things will stabilize.

I'm not sure if this is possible but I believe it would be a good way to do it.

Another addition would be forcing new players to play a few matches on Public MM before actually making the leap into Ranked MM - Thanks to hegelsohn for the suggestion!

Edited by Liqna
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like people is unaware of many other great custom maps like Prophets, dev wars, strikers of newerth, team deathmatch to name a few. Unfortunately the game doesnt really supported public games and now its almost impossible to gather enough players to fill those games.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hegelsohn said:

Disagree. New players not able to find games will just result in them leaving instantly. They could play midwars to get to know items and heroes instead.

That's exactly what happens now, there are 0 public games for new players.

Having a Public Matchmaking would make rounding people up for a match a lot easier because people would actually wait for a queue instead of going into a Public Room list filled with absolutely nothing.

If I was new to a game I would like to be able to learn it the way it's played competitively or even at the point I am just learning a new hero I would rather do so on a Public match instead of a frantic midwars game where the only thing you really learn to do is button mashing, if you're telling me players can learn how to play HoN through MidWars I honestly don't know what to tell you lol

 

6 minutes ago, GiveUpBra said:

 

8 minutes ago, GiveUpBra said:

I feel like people is unaware of many other great custom maps like Prophets, dev wars, strikers of newerth, team deathmatch to name a few. Unfortunately the game doesnt really supported public games and now its almost impossible to gather enough players to fill those games.

 


They could add a map selection to the Public Matchmaking, another thing Public Matchmaking could fix is just that, bringing the oldschool custom maps back to life in a similar way that in CS:GO you can add specific maps to your matchmaking queue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see how people would abuse it to stomp new players. I don't think we should split the queueing pools and risk higher queue times. The other question would be, how many new players actually come to the game to play public matchmaking - keep in mind that it would require plenty to queue at the very same time in the same region to actually find a game. I don't see this happening unless lots of people who regularly play ranked would queue in public which again would higher queue times.

 

I would force people to win 10 midwars games before being able to queue ranked FoC. This would fix both, new players getting stomped in ranked and smurfing as it requires quite some time to create a new account and manage those 10 wins before being able to enter FoC ranked.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, we dont have enough playerbase but at the same time these other games are healthy to the game since gives people a break from FoC, they can relax and have fun wich is good to lessen frustration and toxicity. Maybe 1 day a week they could add one featured custom map and see how it goes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hegelsohn said:

I see how people would abuse it to stomp new players. I don't think we should split the queueing pools and risk higher queue times. The other question would be, how many new players actually come to the game to play public matchmaking - keep in mind that it would require plenty to queue at the very same time in the same region to actually find a game. I don't see this happening unless lots of people who regularly play ranked would queue in public which again would higher queue times.

 

I would force people to win 10 midwars games before being able to queue ranked FoC. This would fix both, new players getting stomped in ranked and smurfing as it requires quite some time to create a new account and manage those 10 wins before being able to enter FoC ranked.

I like the idea of forcing people to play X games before queueing for ranked FoC, then again I still believe there should be a public matchmaking with FoC included, I can agree with the fact there probably still wouldn't be enough players, on the other hand I believe that in order to bring new players to HoN something like this has to be done because where it stands right now the game is not noob friendly at all, I'm not basing this on my sole opinion, I have gone to various HoN streams and chatted with the Streamers about this and it's something they all agreed on, the game is not easy for new players coming into it, of course this could be fixed with various methods and I'm glad you're willing to share your thoughts here with us!

Forcing people to play X amount of games even with bots would be a solid start in my opinion and would keep people from abusing it as you mentioned first, a MOBA will always be hard to teach but maybe making a tutorial going over the basic gameplay and most commonly used terms such as lane picking (short farm, supp, sui, etc..).

If the Public Matchmaking has a selection of maps to add to the queue this would bring everyone wanting to play Mid Wars, Rift, Dev, Casual FoC, SD FoC, AR FoC into the same queue, they would just select the modes they want to play and get queued randomly depending on how many players are queuing for the same modes, this way we wouldn't be splitting the queues as much!

The lack of players per region could definitely be an issue and I'm by no means saying this has to be done right away but as I already said, I believe that new players need different environments where they can learn the game apart from MidWars.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know about you guys but I play public games twice a week with my friends... We have same teams each time and have our own results board + viber group where we discuss about previous games :) It is really fun if you can get a team to play against your friends :) 

 

I would just suggest some awards for playing public games like you have them in this Christmas period for tmm games (like 10 silver for the game, or 20 if you play with your friends) etc....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dushajni said:

I dont know about you guys but I play public games twice a week with my friends... We have same teams each time and have our own results board + viber group where we discuss about previous games 🙂 It is really fun if you can get a team to play against your friends 🙂

 

I would just suggest some awards for playing public games like you have them in this Christmas period for tmm games (like 10 silver for the game, or 20 if you play with your friends) etc....

It will end up with people using bot to get the reward

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the idea of being able to choose multiple game modes/maps at once to avoid high Q times.
This could bring back the fun game modes like Grims Crossing Blitz mode back.
This could be implemented into the regual Matchmaking as well

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...