In-game moderation

Wouldn't it be nice if GM's could jump into your game upon request, as a form of spectator - to do moderation work?

This could easily be abused of course, and waste precious GM-time. So to deal with that, make sure that at least three (or four) people issue the "call A GM" request, as a form of live RAP.

I understand this would require some pretty radical redesign of the game, but it could deal with issues where a sole player decides to be arrogant and throw the game over some minor controversy, or simply go bananas with bad language, -phobia, racism or any other disrespectful manner to decrease teamwork.

Let's hear what you think, if it's a good idea or simply a waste of development time.

Hello,

This has been discussed multiple times tbh and each time the answer was "no"
From the fact that this would be a bad idea and would be a waste of time, what would that accomplish?
What would then happen? GM go upon request and? threaten the player to stop or they will get suspended? would that be a good idea?
Do you actually think that the griefer would care about a GM spectating? and most of the players have no clue what is griefing or what not, so that would waste a huge amount of time, we do not have enough man power to start with, there are a lot more important issues to deal with in the first place, i personally don't see how this will do any difference.

[SGM] — Senior Game Master for Heroes of Newerth

Want to get in touch with an SGM?
Want to appeal your suspension?
 Click Click >
R.A.P helpdesk<

If a GM would enter a match to moderate, direct measurements would have to be taken, such as in-game mute of chat and voicecom (that would of course extend for a given period depending on severity). Or if a player is for example handing out eyes/doombringers etc, eject the player and take whatever action you normally would on item abuse. This would tinker with balance in a way that allows the outnumbered team to stand a more fair chance of winning the game, rather than having their griefing teammate working for the enemy, 4v5 is considerably easier than "4v6".

Also since suspensions can take some time to get into place, a repeat abuser can be immediately suspended to prevent that player from going on a 5 game feed-streak or other nasty behaviour before the banhammer hits.

I understand if there are more important matters to deal with right now, this is after all just a suggestion.

That would require a ton of work from devs in the first place and then again more work from the GMs who would need extra tools and permissions for that work.
That won't be happening, not any time soon and maybe not at all, there are way too many priorities right now and lack of resources and manpower etc
Ahh, and the mute function was removed some time ago, meaning that the players will only get suspended, regardless of the chat abuse or in-game offenses!

[SGM] — Senior Game Master for Heroes of Newerth

Want to get in touch with an SGM?
Want to appeal your suspension?
 Click Click >
R.A.P helpdesk<

I think the most that could be suggested really is that if a player received say 7 reports in < 2 hrs then that account could be automatically locked until a GM reviews their account? Should be able to do that with relatively little drama I think depending on the database.

I don't agree with a real time GM strategy - that's just not feasible in any game, let alone HoN and it's limited resources.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, `Shattered said:

That would require a ton of work from devs in the first place and then again more work from the GMs who would need extra tools and permissions for that work.

It would also mean messing with the (private) API and potentially making HoN more prone to hacking.  

The biggest problem with moderation is GMs are unpaid and consequently there aren't enough of them.