Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
DragnSlyer

Attack modifiers

I would like the attack modifiers to return to the way they were before, grouped them into one form and now they are as very messy in my opinion, before if they are not wrong they called them movement modifiers, there was the elder, shrunken head and the mana-burning sword, maybe the sword could have an activator, instead of being a passive item so that it was within that group of movement modifiers and attack modifiers would be apart, it is only a suggestion since for me, attack modifiers are very messy

Thanks for the attention, I just hope to contribute to the game and LONG LIFE A HON

Posted (edited)

Attack modifiers created another unnecessary layer of knowledge & also caused some odd corner case bugs to occur. It was both an unnecessary barrier for newer players, as well as an unnecessary maintenance load to upkeep.

We do not have plans of bringing them back.

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 4:14 AM, Dragnslyer said:

I would like the attack modifiers to return to the way they were before, grouped them into one form and now they are as very messy in my opinion, before if they are not wrong they called them movement modifiers, there was the elder, shrunken head and the mana-burning sword, maybe the sword could have an activator, instead of being a passive item so that it was within that group of movement modifiers and attack modifiers would be apart, it is only a suggestion since for me, attack modifiers are very messy

Thanks for the attention, I just hope to contribute to the game and LONG LIFE A HON

I assume thread starter is just confused by modifier this and modifier that and want to keep it simple but the reply above me prove it otherwise. So, as far as I know there are several modifiers and they are:

• Lifesteal modifier means lifesteal from Hungry Spirit and its line of items don't stack, except Abyssal Skull.
  • Evasion modifier means evasion from Snake Bracelet and its line of item don't stack, I believe some abilities also contains evasion modifier.
  • Movement modifier means movement speed from Marchers and its line of items don't stack.
  • Magic armor modifier means magic armor from Mystic Vestments and its line of items don't stack.
  • Lightning modifier means lightning from Voltstone and its line of items don't stack.
  • Firebrand modifier means movement bonus from Firebrand and its line of items don't stack.
  • Freeze modifier means slow effects from Icebrand and its line of items don't stack, Toxic Claws also contains this modifier AFAIK.
  • Activation modifier means only one active from the items containing this modifier can be active at one time. Known items: Shrunken Head, Void Talisman, and Armor of the Mad Mage.
  • Etc.

In the end, the purpose of modifiers 'tag' to let people know which item doesn't stack with the others. Though, I guess there should be Block Modifier (or is there already?)

Wanna waste the time reading wall of text? Head the link below:

Is that that's what I mean to many attack modifiers and sometimes I see that they all work together and sometimes not and I really liked it much more when the elder, the shrunked head and the sword that steals mana (I don't remember the name well at this time) they were called movement modifiers and were apart from attack modifiers, for example the shrunken I don't see it modifying a character's attack as such since it blocks magic damage. Also I see many players use elder and frostburn or any of the swords use them at the same time and the modifiers accumulate, so I don't know why they are grouped

15 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

Is that that's what I mean to many attack modifiers and sometimes I see that they all work together and sometimes not and I really liked it much more when the elder, the shrunked head and the sword that steals mana (I don't remember the name well at this time) they were called movement modifiers and were apart from attack modifiers, for example the shrunken I don't see it modifying a character's attack as such since it blocks magic damage. 

I don't know if we talk the same game or my understanding mislead me but first I should explain few things from my understanding:

Sword that steal mana is called Nullfire Blade and it contains Mana Combustion Modifier, not Movement Modifier as you claim.

Shrunken Head contains Activation Modifier, not Movement Modifier as you claim.

Elder Parasite contains Lifesteal Modifier (used to be Activation Modifier), not Movement Modifier as you claim.

Regarding Attack Modifier, it shouldn't in the game any longer. If it still exists, I guess the item description isn't up to date yet.

If you wonder about Movement Modifier, Marchers and its line of items (Steamboots, Plated Greaves, Sorcery Boots, Striders, Ghost Marchers, and Post Haste) contains Movement Modifier.

15 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

Also I see many players use elder and frostburn or any of the swords use them at the same time and the modifiers accumulate, so I don't know why they are grouped

If they're no longer grouped, in which group will they be grouped then?

At the end of this reply, I'd like you to screenshot those items you called as attack modifier or as movement modifier. I hope we could learn this modifier case together.

Before, a long time ago I do not remember when, there was a space in the store with items that were called movement modifiers and I know that I am sure that they existed because Elementuser told me in this same thread that they would not return.

What do I refer to with the movement modifiers and is that you are right in what it says and that is that the name is wrong, but I do not disagree with the group that had these three items and even if I am not wrong it was also void talisman within that group, it seems to me that it is good because you can make a combination between elder and any of the other attack modifiers and also because at that time you cannot use void talisman with elder, nor shrunken head with elder.

It is from what I see, many players use these combined and they do not realize that the damage does not accumulate and in addition to this I continue to see that although it does not accumulate if it can be combined in some cases and that is confusing for many players because the They are still buying that is what I mean maybe if they had a different grouping the players would realize that in reality that damage does not accumulate and you cannot use a frostburn with a shieldbreaker.

Basically, my goal with this thread is for those items to be grouped together again and well, at the moment I can't imagine a name for these, but they cannot be used together as mentioned above and that there is actually a block for attack modifiers, because I still see attack modifiers combining them thinking they are stackable.

17 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

Before, a long time ago I do not remember when, there was a space in the store with items that were called movement modifiers and I know that I am sure that they existed because Elementuser told me in this same thread that they would not return.

I believe you just misinterpreted what Elementuser said. From my understanding he said that attack modifiers no longer interrupt one another because of statement he said. Though, the items from its line of items (such as icebrand or firebrand to frostburn) have their modifier doesn't stack. 

17 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

What do I refer to with the movement modifiers and is that you are right in what it says and that is that the name is wrong, but I do not disagree with the group that had these three items and even if I am not wrong it was also void talisman within that group, it seems to me that it is good because you can make a combination between elder and any of the other attack modifiers and also because at that time you cannot use void talisman with elder, nor shrunken head with elder.

I don't get it about group you kept mentioning. Is that like a item category when you purchased the item?

18 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

It is from what I see, many players use these combined and they do not realize that the damage does not accumulate and in addition to this I continue to see that although it does not accumulate if it can be combined in some cases and that is confusing for many players because the They are still buying that is what I mean maybe if they had a different grouping the players would realize that in reality that damage does not accumulate and you cannot use a frostburn with a shieldbreaker.

well, currently frostburn and shieldbreaker can be stacked.

Version 4.1.0 - 8 May 2017

= General =

- Removed the concept of Attack Modifiers from the game. You may now mix and match previously unique attack modifiers together. For example, a Shieldbreaker and Frostwolf's Skull will now work together.

• Hungry Spirit, Whispering Helm, Symbol of Rage and Elder Parasite (new) are now Lifesteal Modifiers, which do not stack with themselves.
  • Icebrand, Frozen Light, Frostburn, Dawnbringer and Frostwolf's Skull are now Freeze Modifiers, which do not stack with themselves.

I just put the patch note here in case you wonder when the removal of attack modifier happened. The patch currently is 4.8.3.1

quoted patch source: here

18 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

Basically, my goal with this thread is for those items to be grouped together again and well, at the moment I can't imagine a name for these, but they cannot be used together as mentioned above and that there is actually a block for attack modifiers, because I still see attack modifiers combining them thinking they are stackable.

I suggest you to not write attack modifier again if you talk about other modifiers as well. You should keep it as 'modifier', without using 'attack'. I believe if you do that, your confusion will slowly fade.

5 hours ago, datfizh said:

I believe you just misinterpreted what Elementuser said. From my understanding he said that attack modifiers no longer interrupt one another because of statement he said. Though, the items from its line of items (such as icebrand or firebrand to frostburn) have their modifier doesn't stack. 

No, I'm sure that in-store group of motion modifiers existed, HoN game almost since launch.

But hey it's time to stop looking at the past and that is that I have thought a lot about my proposal and I have improved it, it could be done as a sub-group within the attack modifiers and it is that this proposal I have thought is for new players or for players who have not yet fully understood the dynamics of the game and do not know how to arm themselves. I will start first with the subgroup of Lifesteal modifiers, in this group the elder parasite would enter, along with whispering helm and abyssal skull, taking into account that whispering helm is part of symbol of rage and the latter if it is an attack modifier the previous ones are not, but I should clarify it in the store.

The next subgroup would be the lightning modifiers, in that subgroup would be Hypercrown and thunderclaw, the latter being hypercrown and should be marked with an arrow to say that this is like the evolution of thunderclaw so to speak.

The next subgroup would be the non-cumulative attack modifiers which are the rest of the remaining modifiers that should not be accumulated but still continue to be bought together and some accumulate.

13 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

No, I'm sure that in-store group of motion modifiers existed, HoN game almost since launch.

But hey it's time to stop looking at the past and that is that I have thought a lot about my proposal and I have improved it, it could be done as a sub-group within the attack modifiers and it is that this proposal I have thought is for new players or for players who have not yet fully understood the dynamics of the game and do not know how to arm themselves. I will start first with the subgroup of Lifesteal modifiers, in this group the elder parasite would enter, along with whispering helm and abyssal skull, taking into account that whispering helm is part of symbol of rage and the latter if it is an attack modifier the previous ones are not, but I should clarify it in the store.

The next subgroup would be the lightning modifiers, in that subgroup would be Hypercrown and thunderclaw, the latter being hypercrown and should be marked with an arrow to say that this is like the evolution of thunderclaw so to speak.

The next subgroup would be the non-cumulative attack modifiers which are the rest of the remaining modifiers that should not be accumulated but still continue to be bought together and some accumulate.

I don't get it. Is your suggestion already implemented (not as you wished for, I guess)? You know, the 'red tag' about '-insert name- modifier' already exists in item description containing the modifier, right?

Honestly, I haven't checked the game myself yet for so long time (I just see it on wiki). So, if you're already in-game at its latest and you feel your proposal isn't implemented yet, then good luck with your suggestion.

• Sad 1

I suggest you enter the game and have that experience of seeing how items are purchased and then for new players or players who still do not have the ability to buy items, it is complicated, not the proposal is not implemented, so elementuser said that the movement modifiers will not return and also that the patches arrive every month, so I do not know if they take it into account or something like that, although I think not because elementuser already said no.

5 hours ago, DragnSlyer said:

I suggest you enter the game and have that experience of seeing how items are purchased and then for new players or players who still do not have the ability to buy items, it is complicated, not the proposal is not implemented, so elementuser said that the movement modifiers will not return and also that the patches arrive every month, so I do not know if they take it into account or something like that, although I think not because elementuser already said no.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, datfizh said:

I believe you just misinterpreted what Elementuser said. From my understanding he said that attack modifiers no longer interrupt one another because he said so.

• Like 1

My biggest gripe would be that I cannot cycle through them somehow, removing a layer of micromanagement.

3 hours ago, Pablofsi said:

My biggest gripe would be that I cannot cycle through them somehow, removing a layer of micromanagement.

Wow, what a hardcore player. Now, go back to DotA 1.

Also, we shouldn't bump obsolete topic.