Let's talk about Witch Slayer

Hi all,

I was glad to see Witch Slayer seeing at least a little bit of love in the most recent patch, but I still feel that the core problems with this hero haven't been addressed. 

I suggested these changes years and years ago when I was in SBT, and a few people (including EU as I recall) liked them, but they were never tested or implemented as far as I'm aware. 

In the current meta, Witch Slayer simply feels underwhelming in both of his roles, laning support and solo mid. 

His problems are as follows:

1. As a laning support, he is unnecessarily slow (290) when compared to many other support heroes, he also has a bizarrely high turn rate when compared to most similar heroes (540). These combined make him feel sluggish and slow to react. How many times have you seen a Witch Slayer die when turning around to stun the people chasing him?
  2. In both roles, his awful autoattack projectile speed and long BAT and attack animation are not compensated for by his pitiful damage with high variance (42-48). This hurts him as a support in terms of harassing/denying and it really hurts him as a mid hero when it comes to competing for lasthits and denies. 
  3. His mana costs are still a touch too high. This becomes more apparent when you're getting that early PK as mid. You often won't have the mana to use your full combo along with a PK. 
  4. His Power Drain lacks any relevance outside the laning phase or harvesting mana from creeps when out of combat, with its utility restricted to just removing an enemy illusion.

I would suggest the following. I would consider these to be minor buffs or simply quality of life changes that would make the hero feel a bit more useful and viable in the current meta. 

1. Increase his movement speed to 295 and reduce his turn rate to 450
  2. A slight reduction to his attack animation wind-up and a small buff to his damage would help him a lot. The damage change could actually be implemented as a direct result of item (3) to follow.
  3. Reducing his mana costs further might make him a little too strong once he has a few items, but he needs to be able to use his full kit in the early-midgame more easily. Therefore, I would propose increasing his base INT from 23 to 24, and his INT gain from 3.0 to 3.2. Not only would this give him that tiny bit extra mana he needs, but it would also buff his attack damage without having to increase his base damage directly. 
  4. I would suggest that at level 4 of the ability, Power Drain becomes a tether, rather than a channeling effect. This would allow Witch Slayer to have some actual utility for the spell in teamfights and ganks later into the game, being able to move, use his other abilities, and attack during the effect. I feel there is enough counterplay to this with simply purging the effect on self or moving out of range, but it would be easy enough to have the effect still cancel if Witch Slayer is silenced and/or stunned if necessary. 

This may seem like a lot of thought for such minor buffs, but Witch Slayer has long been one of my favourite heroes, and he simply feels underwhelming in the current state of the game, and still very much "legacy" while many other heroes have experienced some power creeping. It just feels as though some of these minor aspects which make him feel lacklustre have been overlooked over the years.

I think this post belongs to Balance/Design Discussion because you can have good discussion there regarding some issues you have pointed out.

I actually agree on your statements and wish all the buffs you suggested could be implemented on next patch. Though, the buffs can start only for point 1 and point 2 to ensure whether those buffs are enough or not.

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

20 hours ago, datfizh said:

I think this post belongs to Balance/Design Discussion because you can have good discussion there regarding some issues you have pointed out.

I actually agree on your statements and wish all the buffs you suggested could be implemented on next patch. Though, the buffs can start only for point 1 and point 2 to ensure whether those buffs are enough or not.

Ah I didn't realise that section still existed lol. Kinda lost navigating the new forums. Thanks. Will repost there. A mod can feel free to close this thread.

2 hours ago, GoochMeister said:

Ah I didn't realise that section still existed lol. Kinda lost navigating the new forums. Thanks. Will repost there. A mod can feel free to close this thread.

Ouch. You should just request to move this thread instead. I usually click the report button to do that.

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

Can we not start changing the heroes thats already balanced? WS is one of the most balanced and one of the best carry counters in the game.

He is no where close to being weak, people just don't realise how to ultilize his abilities, to full time. Click on the target and see the timer.