Triple backdoor EHP in Midwars

In Midwars, backdooring is at best an anti-climax but 70+% of the time, it just ruins the game.  Everyone complains about it and it causes lots of post-game toxicity.
Backdooring bypasses the whole point of Midwars (fun team battles) and makes it instead about wandering over here, warding, wandering over there warding, dum de dum oh missed a teamfight gg.  That's if you remember/can be bothered.  Remember Midwars is supposed to be the fun mode.

The designers of HoN have acknowledged this, which is why backdoor protection already exists.  It just isn't sufficient in Midwars (can't speak for Caldavar, haven't played it for years).

I believe this protection is done by boosting the throne's armour.  I don't know what boost would triple the effective hitpoints of the throne but the latter would generally give you time to get back and defend.

The lvl 25 death timer is plenty to make sure the game ends  in a fun and widely acceptable way.

Note :This wouldn't change games which don't involve backdooring at all.

I disagree. Some midwars games can go on for 90 minutes with no literal end in sight. If a teamfight happens 4v5 and the enemy team hasn't noticed that, and someone manages to backdoor the shrine / get kong and do the shrine ..... and none of the team carried TP stones / post haste to TP back to deal with it.... then that's a justified loss.

The only thing I could suggest is that after 40 minutes of game time, that TP time is reduced by 1 second when porting back to an allied building (that isn't the well) when the shrine has taken damage in the last 3 seconds, but not sure how much coding is required in that. As the TP time does feel excessive when you have the likes of a full attack speed klanx with 500dmg with a dd rune / kong rune. But again it's all about knowing your enemy, map awaremess / vision.... and reacting quickly.

Edited by nailzy
flame removal
On 4/26/2020 at 1:00 PM, nailzy said:

Some midwars games can go on for 90 minutes with no literal end in sight.

Bullshit.  I've played well over 10k Midwars games and whilst one went to 50 mins, they almost never go to 40 mins.

On 4/26/2020 at 1:00 PM, nailzy said:

If a teamfight happens 4v5 and the enemy team hasn't noticed that, and someone manages to backdoor the shrine / get kong and do the shrine ..... and none of the team carried TP stones / post haste to TP back to deal with it.... then that's a justified loss.

Firstly, your agenda is obvious, which is why you resorted to abuse.

Fights are 4 v 5 all the time.  It does get noticed and no it doesn't mean the other person is backdooring.  They're far more likely to have gone AFK.

I've seen whole teams TP back and not be able to block a backdoor.  By yourself, the chances of being able to counter their carry long enough are slim.

Games are won and lost simply because no-one bored themselves stupid warding half the map.  I don't think you even believe this is good game design.

The game announces when "Kong" dies, so if you wanted to halve backdoor protection for the next minute, great.

Oof hit a sore nerve have I? I'm glad you've never played an hour long midwars game. It will happen to you, eventually. Maybe 10k more games.

What agenda? Having an opinion that doesn't match yours?

If you don't like it, don't play the game. Backdooring is a legitimate part of the game. Especially when it comes to destroying keen scrubs that moan about it, like yourself.

Long games need an escape valve and backdooring is that escape valve when the stalemate is too cumbersome to deal with later on at this time. 

If there is an easy mechanic to implement that enables me to make the backdoor protection mechanism stronger, I'm all ears for it. 

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 1
On 4/28/2020 at 1:22 AM, nailzy said:

What agenda?

This agenda vv, now incredibly obvious.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:22 AM, nailzy said:

Backdooring is a legitimate part of the game. Especially when it comes to destroying keen scrubs that moan about it, like yourself.

Pay2win is legitimate in many games.

Don't suppose you can provide a game ID for your dubious 90 min claim.

Edited by NubbyMcNub
On 4/28/2020 at 1:53 AM, ElementUser said:

Long games need an escape valve and backdooring is that escape valve when the stalemate is too cumbersome to deal with later on at this time. 

But we agree there are much better endings to a game?  Ones that don't cause half of all post-game abuse?

I'm pretty sure the long death timer at level 25 is already sufficient, along with Transmutenstein and runes.
When Midwars games go past 40 mins, players start buying Doombringers! This doesn't just liven up a game, it ends them pretty quickly.

I imagine that backdoor protection is the same in Caldavar and Midwars?  Caldavar players already spend a lot of time warding -- it's part of that mode.  There's no reason Midwars should have the same low level BD protection.  Make it 2.5x more EHP if you feel 3x is too much.  Easy enough to change later.

How about uncapping player level, purely to boost the death timer?

Edited by NubbyMcNub
  • Like 1