Game freezes for a couple seconds when pressing Z to check chat for the first time

Title is self explanatory. The first time I press Z to see past chat after opening the new client, the game freezes for a bit. It doesn't cause any disconnects, and it only happens the first time I do it after opening the client. This wasn't happening with the old client.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, this has happened to me every game with the official x64 client (did not happen in the closed beta x64 that I'm aware of).  Every time I press 'z' to check chat log a few minutes into the match, I get a few seconds of the client completely freezing.

I don't get any freezing when using the starting item or from any other abilities that I've noticed...

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kenshin`_` said:

I only have the 64-bit installed at the moment, but I never had this issue before and i''ve been playing on and off for almost 10 years. I could try and record it maybe, it shouldn't be hard to reproduce. 

Same here, unfortunately.  It seems like the longer I'm in the game before pressing Z, the longer the lag is - but that could be my imagination.

It only happens the first time I press Z in a game.  Not sure if it is limited to once per client session or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 5:02 AM, HyperXewl said:

Hey guys, can you check if this happens in the 32 bit client?

Some leads would be nice~

This was a day 1 problem on x64 that just didn't happen on 32.

Also after playing for a while longer, it's not tied to Z specifically, X also can cause it. And it seems random; it can happend multiple times in a match, and may or may not happen at the very first press. But it does feel like the longer it's been since it last happened, the worse the lag.

Open game, open console with CTRL+F8 - and type the following (press enter after each line)

vid_shaderPrecache true

d3d_flush 1

Once you've done this - restart the game and see how you get on 🙂