Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

A letter to the respected developers of the game HON

Hello dear developers of the game HON, I am a student and a novice programmer in the field of web development, I am your ardent fan, I have been playing Hon since 2012-2013, and I am very sorry to see what happens to the once strong game, which could be on a par with LOL or DOTA 2, and I don't want to be idle or just score on the game, I want to help you somehow, but maybe my skills today are not able to help you in raising the game from the bottom, but I would like to know if it is possible to hit to you as a junior developer in the web sphere, or in the development sphere, even for a $ 200-500 salary, and a 12-hour work schedule, but I do not want the death of the game, I do not want to see the sunset HON, I want to see the shining dawn of the game , please tell me what technology stack you need, what languages do you use, and who do you need at all, and I give you my word, I will study them and get to you, I do not want and can not let my favorite game sink into oblivion. I hope you will read this post and treat my ditch with understanding to help you.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I'm no (HoN-)developer, but I have been in contact with a lot of them in the past, so I might be able to answer enough of your questions.
First of all, it's unlikely, that FB/GG will pay you (enough to make a living). But if you're willing to work for free, there might be chances for you to help.

It's probably the easiest to start on your own, since most of the "source code" of HoN is already view- and editable by you! Those resource-files which HoN provides are just zip-compressed and contain a lot of scripts. Primarily they are a mixture of xml and lua and you can create mods which change those files.
If your goal is just to help HoN, you can probably do a lot of stuff with those. Just publish a mod and if they are good and well received, FB might incorporate those into the actual game 😉.

Since you wrote you're a web developer, and a junior as well, I doubt you would be suitable to work on the actual engine of HoN - which is (to my knowledge) written in C++.
Servers are another thing, I guess some stuff on them is written in Php - but I guess that's mostly related to things around the game (login, forums, website, apis, chat, etc)

Edited by Manu311

I am grateful that at least you answered me, so I will have questions for you, first of all, what exactly is meant by mods? Is this some part of the game or a script responsible for an action or ability? And where can they be found, it was not bad would get a link to them. Second, of course, I know the position of the company, it is not able to pay like Google, but I am not tied to the dollar, and in my country $ 100-200 is not bad money, and I would be happy to work as a remote employee. C ++, of course, I'm not yet experienced to work on such complex things, but I would like to learn more, from the developers themselves in detail, who they need, what they need and when, I am sure that the company had to cut staff, staff because of unprofitability of the game, and perhaps not all working personnel are needed only for development, maybe they need an illustrator, or a targetologist, or a person who would make new heroes, just having a prototype of existing heroes, I often liked to introduce new heroes with cool abilities that will help equalize the balance and diversify the game.

I don’t mind working for free, I just don’t have much money to survive and I need to pay for my studies, and I would be glad to combine the profit and the game that I like. But if the HON developers are not able to pay for my work at all, I will not be upset, so it is more important for me that HON continues to live, and continues to please people.

Edited by `IIuBo

"mods" is the short form of "modifications" - that's what I was talking about.
I haven't really looked into them (I'm more into the advanced stuff, like c++ 😉 ) but there should be basically everything that defines hon inside of it.
E.g. Hero details - including skill numbers and actual skill implementation.

I can't really give you a "link" to those file, since they are on your local computer already. But I can tell you where to find them:
In your HoN-directory (probably "C:\Program Files\Heroes of Newerth" or something like that) there should be a "game" directory and in that directory there should be files called "resources0.s2z, resources1.s2z, ....". All those files ending in s2z can be extracted if you handle them as zip-file. You might have to rename them to end on ".zip" for your programs to recognize them. You should find a huge lot of files inside of them!

There's actually an entire sub-forum on these modifications here: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/forum/10-modifications/
You can find people that know what they are doing there and even find a few mods. If you just want to get into it, choose something simple you would like to change and try to implement that and create a mod for it. That's a great way to get into it! A lot of famous games were developed by people that started by creating mods for other games!
Also, usually programmers and modders (that work for free) are pretty nice people that will help you a lot if you're asking them nicely (and google first if possible) 🙂 .

Oh and if you really wanna earn some money with it, there's also the public funding way. I'm not sure if FB is permitting this, so you should ask first. But in theory - after you're somewhat known for mods - you could start some crowd funding for bigger mods which you could implement. That way you could get payed.

Thank you for your help and showing me the way to start, it's cool to start even with small things, even indirectly and for free, but I can work and help HON, I hope I can still be useful, and I won't let the game at all perish.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, killewind said:

Иш ты

я не говорю на русском языке

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread: