Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

South American servers and the opportunity to get ppl back.

The first i will say is, it's the "perfect" (due the reasons everyone knows already) time to try to get SA ppl back to HON.

I'm an very old player of HON, i bought it when it was in BETA, managed by S2 GAMES.

The reason why a lot of SA ppl let the game, was because no servers in our Region to play with a fair PING. (well there was, but they choose the worst ones, more about it in the post)

I read in another forum that maybe there is a chance to get SA server back (Located in Brasil), but want to tell you to don't make the same mistake S2 GAMES did back in the day, when they choose to host the server for SA with the worst company (AXESO5), WHY I SAID IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE?

Well, they servers doesn't had a good Routing (lots of ISP's goes to MAMI first and then go to the BR server) for ppl out of Brasil, so ppl from Argentina, Chile, etc.. had the same or more ping than in USA EAST.

*I ask you to don't make the same mistake S2 did, if you gonna put a SA server, first make a thread and ask ppl to make "Tracerts tests", can easily do it with WinMTR, and then try to choose a host where most of the SA ppl have a good PING = more players will come.

I don't know the monetary situation of FB, but it's prove that Amazon servers from Brasil give good Routing for almost all SA region.

I write this because i loved and still love HON, for me it's better than most MOBAS out there, but sadly S2 did a lot of mistakes at the moment of managing servers implementations outside of USA in the past, that did a BIG damage to HON...

Best regards.

Edited by ZER0C00L22
  • Like 2

spacer.png

On 10/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, ElementUser said:

The first thing to do is to find a reputable BR server host in a data center (it can't be some servers in some guy's basement, because HoN's server executables will be put on that server).

The second thing to do is research the appropriate specs for the server and find a suitable one.  Xeon E-2136 should be the standard, as HoN runs well on these servers on OVH servers: https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ca/bare-metal/advance/adv-2/

The third requirement is to find a reasonable cost, because donations will be covering that amount.

The final requirement is a reliable monthly income through donations to cover that cost.

I've tried this before & had little luck, as the servers were too expensive for the performance they provided.

Best of luck if you & others wish to attempt this endeavour. We can talk once we have these details sorted out. It's not a donation goal yet because the first 3 requirements must be met before we can consider putting up a donation goal.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dumpsterarg said:

i think hes right becous the lag / ping is a problem to play . brazil server will be great 

But they need to choose very careful with what host they will work, for the reasons i explained before.

spacer.png

On 11/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, ZER0C00L22 said:

The first i will say is, it's the "perfect" (due the reasons everyone knows already) time to try to get SA ppl back to HON.

I'm an very old player of HON, i bought it when it was in BETA, managed by S2 GAMES.

The reason why a lot of SA ppl let the game, was because no servers in our Region to play with a fair PING. (well there was, but they choose the worst ones, more about it in the post)

I read in another forum that maybe there is a chance to get SA server back (Located in Brasil), but want to tell you to don't make the same mistake S2 GAMES did back in the day, when they choose to host the server for SA with the worst company (AXESO5), WHY I SAID IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE?

Well, they servers doesn't had a good Routing (lots of ISP's goes to MAMI first and then go to the BR server) for ppl out of Brasil, so ppl from Argentina, Chile, etc.. had the same or more ping than in USA EAST.

*I ask you to don't make the same mistake S2 did, if you gonna put a SA server, first make a thread and ask ppl to make "Tracerts tests", can easily do it with WinMTR, and then try to choose a host where most of the SA ppl have a good PING = more players will come.

I don't know the monetary situation of FB, but it's prove that Amazon servers from Brasil give good Routing for almost all SA region.

I write this because i loved and still love HON, for me it's better than most MOBAS out there, but sadly S2 did a lot of mistakes at the moment of managing servers implementations outside of USA in the past, that did a BIG damage to HON...

Best regards.

He said everything. When they "transported" us to AXESO5, they ended up killing our beloved game. Without commenting on the skins I ended up losing in this change.
I've also been playing Heroes of Newerth for a long time. I remember I paid $ 20 back then.

And that servers come to Brazil yes. And that they are good servers as our friend said above. I believe that with the evolution that technology has been, it is easier today to find good servers.

• Like 1

E2134 should be okay for HoN servers. $257 per month is a bit expensive (OVH's US servers are literally half that), but it's still well within the acceptable ranges.

Let's not forget the Windows license fees as well (likely another 30 USD or more).

Well, assuming that it's around 300 USD, we need a consistent donor/groups of donor. Nothing like only getting 1 month of service from an SA  server. If you can find a consistent donor group, we will seriously consider making it available.

Edited by ElementUser

If you can find a consistent donor group, we will seriously consider making it available = this will be done if u take the server first an ppl engage whit them and post some " google ads " Heroes of newerth has come to LAS ! 

• Like 1

Have you ever paid attention on this discussion? I feel your wish to be able to play this game as comfortable as possible but you should be patient on that. Also, you said you want to donate 10 usd per month, I suggest you fill the subscription by clicking the link I attach below:

https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/subscriptions/

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

I haven't gotten a response from the  OP if he is able to get enough people for even 1 month of donations. If he can, I can put the donation goal up & we can actually set up the server some time in the near future if we meet the donation goal.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, ElementUser said:

I haven't gotten a response from the  OP if he is able to get enough people for even 1 month of donations. If he can, I can put the donation goal up & we can actually set up the server some time in the near future if we meet the donation goal.

I tried to get ppl from FB groups, but it's some hard, cause they don't even know this thread/chance to get some servers for SA even exist.

Some of them don't even know a little of english.

Edited by ZER0C00L22

spacer.png

I think you guys should at least put a server for testing for a month and do a big announce (even put a big announce inside the game), then ppl will be back and could try and see how servers works.

*But always saying it's a test and after the test ends, "we will need your support to keep the server running", so there's when you catch up some ppl for donate, when they feel again the low PING...

You first need to "show something" to get ppl attention/interest, it have been like that since old times...

Edited by ZER0C00L22

spacer.png

We need at least people saying they'll donate for $300 USD. Then we can put up the donation goal.

What I don't want to happen is that you guys almost reach the goal and then we don't use the funds for the server.

Statistically, players from South America don't actually generate much income for HoN at all. We do not have the budget to pay for the servers, so we cannot do as you suggested.

Edited by ElementUser