Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Unable to run on Linux.

I downloaded the Linux client from https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/topic/31-mac-linux-clients-unofficial-downloads/.

I installed it to /usr/game/HoN.

So far so good.

I ran the link that appeared in the menu. Nothing happened.

I examined the menu entry to determine the program being run: /usr/games/HoN/hon.sh.

I ran it manually:

warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  80
  Current serial number in output stream:  94

Can anyone give me any clues as to what might have gone wrong?

Does this game run well under Wine?

I am on Ubuntu 18.

Hey, I guess the game has some problems creating a window.

A while ago I created an AppImage for HoN, which should run independent of local library-versions. So it might run better there. I've heard a couple of people having success with it, so you might give it a try:

As for wine, I haven't tried in a lot of years - but it worked perfectly in 2010 😉 .

• 2 weeks later...

It runs perfectly fine under Gentoo Linux (gentoo.org), I've had very few issues with it over the 8 years I've played HoN on Linux. Your X issues can probably be solved if you ask around in the Ubuntu forums or on their IRC chat on #freenode. I think it's either distro-specific or some permission issue. I install HoN in /home/<user>/HoN though, and that's also where the .Heroes\ of \ Newerth/ directory goes (for settings and other game-specific things such as screenshots).

Please tell us the permissions on HoN/game/hon-x86_64 and also the ldd output of it.