Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Hello,

some graphics in my game seem bugged.

It mostly happens on parts of hero models, but sometimes affects the creeps too, especially if I stack them.

spacer.png

As you can see, the textures are displayed white. (Probably missing?)

Anyone with an idea whats going wrong?

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7970

I did a repair installation. Afterwards i got this error:

./hon-x86_64: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Design_Coordinates

This error occurs to me after a fresh installation aswell, deleting libfreetype.so.6 in the installation folder lets me start the game. (found that workaround somewhere in the web.)

Maybe the problems graphics bug and only able to start the game after deleting a specific file are connected to each other?

I haven't played in the current patch (can't access my PC right now), so I can't tell you if it's a general Linux-issue. But I hope not ?

About the error you got after repair install, I can help you with that since it's quite common to have similar issues.
What your Hon is complaining about is a library called "cairo". I don't know the exact package you have to install, but it's probably called either cairo, libcairo, cairo2 or libcairo2.
Try to install that and test again

• Like 1

Thanks for your effort manu311.

I installed the package through

sudo apt install libcairo2

Get the same error trying to start the game. ?

As mentioned before, the game starts if I delete libfreetype.so.6 in /HoN/libs-x86_64 with

warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite.

If I do this the graphics are still bugged however.

Anyone an idea how to continue resolving the problem from here on?

2 hours ago, Falk1 said:

Thanks for your effort manu311.

I installed the package through

sudo apt install libcairo2

Get the same error trying to start the game. ?

You still get an error about the libcairo.so.2?? That's weird

libfreetype is only about fonts, so it shouldn't affect textures. Even weirder ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, manu311 said:

You still get an error about the libcairo.so.2?? That's weird

libfreetype is only about fonts, so it shouldn't affect textures. Even weirder ?‍♂️

Yup.

I tried to remove/deinstall libcairo2 and ended up wrecking my operating system. ?

After a fresh operating system, installing HoN confronted me with two more problems I want to document for the other linux using players.

Problem1:

./hon-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Solution:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0

Problem2:

./hon-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Solution:

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4

From here I am where I started.

./hon-x86_64: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Design_Coordinates

Deleting or renaming libfreetype.so.6 does its job, however the graphics bug stays.

An idea anyone?

CPU and GPU are from early 2012 if that information helps.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:21 PM, Falk1 said:

I assume the plan is to create an environment which fulfills all the dependencies enabling HoN to run?

Exactly - however I only have a really slow laptop on me right now and Flatpak documentation is quite bad :-(, so I can't really promise anything.
But in case it's working and running fine, that could replace the current installer and should work everywhere out of the box.

• Like 1
On 4/25/2020 at 2:01 PM, manu311 said:

Exactly - however I only have a really slow laptop on me right now and Flatpak documentation is quite bad :-(, so I can't really promise anything.
But in case it's working and running fine, that could replace the current installer and should work everywhere out of the box.

Nice, just keep me updated! ?

On 4/26/2020 at 9:32 AM, L0Lman said:

i'm playing on Linux Mint and its ok, no graphics bugs. but i cant turn off VSYNC and have always 60 fps on my amd rx 570

That is strange. I gave Linux Mint a shot today, guess what. The exact same bug. Pretty sure it has to be related to my hardware, not sure how this could be a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Falk1 said:

Nice, just keep me updated! ?

I gave up for now ?. It's pretty tedious to do this on a harddrive with so little space you have to delete the entire generated temporary file between every try. Then wait for 30 minutes until it fails again ?.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:03 PM, manu311 said:

I gave up for now ?. It's pretty tedious to do this on a harddrive with so little space you have to delete the entire generated temporary file between every try. Then wait for 30 minutes until it fails again ?.

What a pity.

However I have a new information. ?

As I open Riptides entry in "Learn" the console shows this multiple times:

spacer.png

The exact same error is shown in the console if I try to view the Gauntlet Alt-Avatar "Ussuri" and the Riptide Alt-Avatar "Mecha Mermaid".

Any idea what's going wrong?