Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

4.8.6 - Updates regarding donations & plans for 4.8.7

Hi all,

Many of you are probably wondering on our progress & what happened with the donations, so I will elaborate on that here:

• Stripe actually has a processing fee of 2.9% + $0.30 of the donated amount (https://stripe.com/en-ca/pricing), so we never actually get 100% of the donations (unfortunately). $1 donations usually result in a net of $0.66 - so donating one time with something like $5 would actually be more helpful than donating $1 five times. Just wanted to state that somewhere so you guys know!

• Most of the currently unused funds are kept on hold until our small development team finishes up x64 for its initial release & moves onto working on other tasks & features (in other words, the funds will be useful for them in the future).
    • Some funds were used on x64 development as well.

• A small amount of funds were used for map-related touchups in 4.8.6.

• HoN x64 has Chromium implemented, and we are just working with Garena to get a proper CDN (Content Delivery Network for those who aren't tech savvy: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/cdn/what-is-a-cdn/) to allow proper distribution of the x64 client without overloading the servers in an official manner (for an official release).
    • We are close to a public beta release though & are looking into a temporary (unofficial) CDN-based solution - more details to come in the (very) near future! ?

• Most of the funds used for 4.8.6 were used to replace the USE servers ourselves with OVH servers, since their regular server provider (Tencent Cloud) does not have any data centers in the USE region.

• Some funds were used for developing a DoS attack proection mechanism. All servers (at least to our knowledge) now have proper DoS attack protection and DDoS attack protection. Part of the reason why the USE servers had to be replaced (& not the others) was because the original server provider for USE servers had no DDoS protection, and DDoS protection is handled by the provider.
    • Contrary to what everybody has been saying, most of the attacks on HoN aren't DDoS attacks, but DoS attacks that could be initiated by a single machine using a malicious script to spam fake packets to the HoN game servers. You can read more about the technicals in this article if you wish: https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/dos-vs-ddos-attacks-differences-prevention/

• DoS/DDoS attacks can never be 100% mitigated due to how the internet protocols work. Recent attacks on properly protected servers have been limited to 2 seconds of disruption/lag spikes or less with the defenses enabled, which is efficient when considering the level of resources we have to mitigate attacks & to develop any kind of solution for this. In the past, the attacker can take down the game server instance any time they want to.

• As DoS/DDoS attackers are persistent & have nothing better to do with their lives than attacking a small indie game, they will continue to attempt attacks and evolve their mechanisms to do so. 
      • If there are servers you suspect are getting DoS/DDoS attacked (server lag for longer than a few seconds), please report them in this thread & following the thread rules + provide the requested info mentioned in the thread (we can collaborate with Garena to look at the protection mechanism for existing servers if they have that service available): 

=============

For 4.8.7:

• We are aiming to release x64 via public beta, likely before Patch 4.8.7 is released.

• 600 USD is reserved for the 4.8.7 winter Forests of Caldavar ("New") map touchup - at the moment, it's not confirmed that other maps will get the same treatment, but I will talk to Strider (the professional map editor for HoN) about that & if he's generous, he may do it for more than 1 map.

• We are also aiming to get some account value features implemented, as that is quite critical for HoN's sustained success (since it is too easy to create a smurf and join CoN games). The team (including myself) will be really busy with life until 2021, so these features may not come in full as much as we want to in 4.8.7.

Once again, thank you for your understanding & continued support for HoN!

- ElementUser

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Definitely happy to hear about having some account value features implemented not only for love of CoN but also griefers that are banned on daily basis. Smurfs and griefers are a real problem in current HoN age, which is sadly driving people away at there's not real repercussions 

• Like 1

Yeah, +1 on the account value. Playing against diamond/legendary players in every single tier is seriously not cool.

EDIT: Would be nice to also have a rank reset to support the new changes, I know many gold players that have dropped seveal sub-tiers due to constantly playing against diamond/legendary smurfs. Like seriously, even high profile streamers smurf on stream which is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by GOPO

We’re the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression.

Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives.

How could you go on donation site that takes x% of the money thats donated? You could just pass HoNs bank number and have 100% of that money, how is that possible that you cant do a proper thing even once? XD

52 minutes ago, ensid said:

How could you go on donation site that takes x% of the money thats donated? You could just pass HoNs bank number and have 100% of that money, how is that possible that you cant do a proper thing even once? XD

That statement is SO stupid that it (almost) doesn't deserve an answer. 

For the convenience of course. 

Many will 'swipe' their credit card on a donation site - none will open their net-bank and make an international wire-transer, which in some cases can be expensive for the player. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Shoy said:

Definitely happy to hear about having some account value features implemented not only for love of CoN but also griefers that are banned on daily basis. Smurfs and griefers are a real problem in current HoN age, which is sadly driving people away at there's not real repercussions 

I just  played against one smurf in gold rank and only focused him as middle player. Made him so mad he used all money for buying back and then he ragequited lol. As smurfs mostly play with lowrank friends then his friend also ragequited. Was funny. 

Funniest part is that when HoN had tons of players I made my 5.0 suggestion thread in which I suggested toooooons of things to improve the gameplay and bring more players. That thread was few pages long and I spent hundreds of hours to make it happen, unfortunately it was totally ignored by frostburn studios, the only thing they implemented was blinking HoN icon on window's bar whenever you found a match while being in windows to eliminate AFK picks and AFK in general at the start of the game. I was not even mentioned in Patch Notes for that, rofl. And now they trying to make accounts legacy and valuable, now.... hahah when more than half of playerbase left. I suggested a lot of things how to improve that side but they were too busy doing nothing or ONLY making cashgrabbing stuff all around.

44 minutes ago, ensid said:

Funniest part is that when HoN had tons of players I made my 5.0 suggestion thread in which I suggested toooooons of things to improve the gameplay and bring more players. That thread was few pages long and I spent hundreds of hours to make it happen, unfortunately it was totally ignored by frostburn studios, the only thing they implemented was blinking HoN icon on window's bar whenever you found a match while being in windows to eliminate AFK picks and AFK in general at the start of the game. I was not even mentioned in Patch Notes for that, rofl. And now they trying to make accounts legacy and valuable, now.... hahah when more than half of playerbase left. I suggested a lot of things how to improve that side but they were too busy doing nothing or ONLY making cashgrabbing stuff all around.

Unfortunately, we didn't have much say for what our programmers should work on, because around that time, the power to direct developers was basically shifted over to Garena.

Now, we have a lack of resources issue, so we can only tackle on the critical elements of HoN one step at a time whenever we can humanly do so. But at least I have a lot more say as I'm the director for the NAEU/International Client right now. The actual limits/bottlenecks are the physical resources, time, the age of the tech stack & how much access we actually have (and of course, legal constraints & what-not).

If I was a director maybe 5 years ago, things would have been so much better.

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's is no denial that considering what you have been left with, you doing an exceptional work EU. I've been playing HoN for over 11 years now and unfortunately I was, like many others, a witness of the downfall of it due to stupid decision making. This is your baby now, and I'm sure with a little support from the community it will grow back. Just look at the Honcast, 1.000 players were watching the finals, and we even had BreakyCPK casting it.

For me personally the game doesn't require much more polish in terms or hero balance/map or new content that much. The real problem for anyone who play HoN right now are.

• Long Que in higher Ranks
  • Hight Ranked players, smurfing on low ranks
  • Extreme Toxic and Rude community
  • No account value, that promote smutfing and griefing
  • Pointless Bans
  • Jungle meta where 9/10 games are with junglers due to people not wanting to support each other

I'm convinced if we would shift our focus to resolve those problems, the game will again see the flew of new and returning players.

The main issues for people not wanting to play support it's of course their stats. I bet many people would play support if it wound't affect their stats.

To resolve this problem, I would even go as far as creating a new statistic tab "Support" where the stats from listed supports are only registered and if you play a hero from the list, your "main" stats are not affected.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Shoy said:

if you play a hero from the list, your "main" stats are not affected.

I can already see players picking Support just to do whatever they want and not get their "main" stats affected.