Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

This game needs a way to police people who AFK and won't concede

Fair point. So what's the actual suggestion/discussion?

To automatically concede games if X happens? What is X and how is it defined? Or change the afk-detection?
Why not make a suggestion with that into the suggestion forums?

I don't have any particular suggestion, which is why this thread is here. If others are encountering the issue and think it's a problem, and they have an idea how to fix it, they could suggest it and I'll post it to the suggestion forums.

A fix to AFK detection would be nice and a human would be able to detect AFK pretty damn well, but I don't know how to do code that into a non-neural network program.

I'd say that if you can't afford or want to engage or organize a top down community moderation or hire GMs for SEA then the kick vote needs to be re-enabled in SEA again and the horizontal axis of self-moderation needs to be employed. Sure, a few people might get kicked out for the wrong reasons but a lot more people will be kicked from the team for the right reasons. 

Edited by Ondis
  • Like 1

qqPlatter fucking nice idea man. Thinking outside the box.

Yes. Make the total AFK count instead. Give each player a total of 5 min excluding pauses and measure it not if youre standing still or not but if you're taking damage or not.  But all of this can cause some problems with people standing still innocently waiting to stack and stuff like that. The longer the game goes on the more absurd situations so it need to be counteracted somehow with it being lowered with every x minutes of active play.

Keep the current limit of pure afk too. 

Still I think the best solution for SEA would just be a re-introduction of the kick vote. 

Edited by Ondis
5 hours ago, qqplatter said:

What about after a certain hero gets X amount of total AFK per game, then they can be kicked.  This would prevent being kicked from a quick afk but if they repeat this, the team can vote kick.

I like this

On 9/27/2020 at 5:15 AM, Ondis said:

I'd say that if you can't afford or want to engage or organize a top down community moderation or hire GMs for SEA then the kick vote needs to be re-enabled in SEA again and the horizontal axis of self-moderation needs to be employed. Sure, a few people might get kicked out for the wrong reasons but a lot more people will be kicked from the team for the right reasons. 

Been saying this since it was removed in BETA!

They dont listen and that's exactly why the game is beggin for donations. I cant even join a game on US East where my team speaks English lol. 

Bring back the GEO Lock as well. How can you play a team coop game when you cant communicate?

Good suggestion none the less but I wont be holding my breath.

A cumulated timer would be hard to implement and is not necessary imho. Regular (allowed) afk periods would also count into this. Suicides hiding in the trees would count into this. Goldenveil sitting on a tree would count into this. 

I'm not saying the last 2 mentioned cases is how the hero/role should be played but in fact you cannot punish people for leeching xp on a hard suicide lane (even tho there are better options to actually play the lane).

Due to the lack of GMs I agree it might be an issue for Garena. For NA/EU if people repeatedly go afk in intervals it can be reported as it falls under afk avoidance.

A solution only implemented in 1 client is also not the way to go forward.. IF some sort of timer should be implemented, it should have a minimum requirement (e.g. 30s) where afk time is actually added to the overall afk timer.

A better approach would be to have replays compatible between both clients and a GM team handling reports for both clients. However, this might be complicated to implement - not just cause of the replay but due to the fact that databases are separated.