Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Artillery has been in a rut for a long while now. I'll come out and say that I really dislike the current iteration of Artillery (which is essentially the first reworked Artillery). So I am bias. But, that doesn't mean I don't play him. He is still among my more frequently played heroes and still one my most favorite heroes that HoN has every created. There is no other hero that can be compared to him in other MOBAs. So I'd like to talk about the problems Artillery has in his current state, hoping he can be fixed in future patches. I apologize if the organization of this post is really bad, I just have a lot of thoughts about it.

Artillery's problems mostly stems from an identity crisis in his design: does he want to be a carry with missiles, or missiles that carry. I can tell you right now, that he does not currently excel in either.

The Carry with LRMs (Attacker)

Carries need to either have abilities that let them farm well, or get items that let them farm well. On paper, this sounds splendid for Artillery. Damage items + LRMs = flash farm. In actuality, he has a hard time farming with missiles because LRM has a 50% damage modifier to creeps. Paired with the low explosion radius,  hitting creeps running in a line won't get much done. When you do wait for the creeps to open up and meet your own creeps in honorable battle, you are really relying on Mortar to land the final hit on them. It's just not reliable as farming tool, especially since you can only shoot a whole salvo of LRMs and mortar 2x before needing more mana if you didn't build ring or have mana sustaining items. Don't even think about efficiently using missiles on jungle creeps either.

Due to his current design direction that focuses more on the Long Range Damage Niche, none of his skills promote auto attacks, which puts him on the same level of carrying as Valkyrie or Slither: a Semi Carry. I only bring this up because initially, Artillery was geared to be more along the lines of the " carry that had missiles" design. Back during his debut release, his missiles pierced though everything , which allowed him to farm very efficiently provided he dealt around 140 damage; Special Ammo gave his LRMs and auto attacks the ability to slow, which allowed him to kite enemies; and Bunker Down gave him a base damage boost along with increased attack range as long as he stayed in the area he activated it. These abilities together made Artillery a very strong hard carry that had missiles, but it was nixed because it was thought to overlap too much with the standard carry archetype.

The Missiles that Carry (Caster)

I've said already that missiles don't really perform that well against creeps. To expand on that I have a recent game I played with a situation that really got my gears ground. I was playing  Artillery and had 2 doom bringers and was still having trouble clearing mega creeps. I also had rift shards to help, but most of my damage was coming from those two doom bringers. Now you can say going against mega creeps is supposed to be a death sentence, but if there is anybody in the hon cast that you'd think should be able to handle one lane's wave of megas without much issue, it would be an Artillery with at least one doom bringer right? The Flint on my team that built nothing but damage (no blue or red lightning) was having an easier time clearing creeps than me. And I repeat, I was not able clear a lane's worth of mega creeps with just abilities in a timely fashion.  I find great issue with this situation.

But how do missiles fare against heroes? They do very well early game through mid game. This is currently Artillery's only place to shine, because you can bet if the enemy has a brain or goes to late game they are going to stack up on their armor or get a void talisman.  It's just that going only for damage items to boost LRM damage feels so logarithmic. Like I said before, you just can't farm those damage items in time to keep up with the enemy considering how affordable and easy armor and void talisman are to get. And if you do surpass that rate, you've probably already won the game and are probably waiting for them to concede. I'm sure it's a different story in midwars, but I don't play mid wars and don't really care about its balance. It's midwars.

Like I have said before, this current iteration of Artillery is heavily geared to this play style (Damaging mostly via LRMs). Artillery is supposed to hit you from far away with his skills for the majority; he blows his whole load in 4-6 seconds. Now for ganks, this works out fine. Optimally in ganks you want to be in and out fast so you can move on to doing something that makes use of that gank. But in team fights, which can be get drawn out a lot of times end game,  it's very less than optimal. Artillery has to pick from two decisions; 1: go to the actual battle and put himself in danger or 2: stay in the back, reposition, and wait for his skills to come back up, leaving your team to fend for themselves for some time.  And this is where the Artillery builds and playstyles diverge. 

Homing Missile VS Artillery Barrage

This brings me to the ulti. I believe that Homing Missile is just inferior for nearly all situations in comparison to Artillery Barrage for Artillery's kit. Against a team with wards or any semblance of coordination, homing missile will be mediocre at best. It just gives the enemy too much time to react. It turns what was once supposed to be a combo into a warning shot. This is even more apparent end game when all that's left for them to run to is the well or if they just have stormspirit. You can use it on somebody right next to you for a one second stun. Wohoo. You can also hit a 4 second stun on somebody who saw it coming so they are already in a safe place that you can't follow up on. Woohoo. The homing missile stuns in an AoE but what are really the chances that some idiot is going to walk to his friend when he sees a huge Wile E Coyote ass rocket flying at his face? It really is the most non ultimate feeling ultimate. Also the staff effect is near useless, because by the time Artillery has the staff effect, the ultimate is already near useless.

Why do I think Artillery Barrage is better than Homing missile? 

1. It is just more consistent and has utility
  2. It's a nice and huge AoE stun and nuke that you can plan around
  3. It's fast, but has a slight half second delay so you can react to it if you are expecting it
  4. It pushes Artillery backwards in case he needs to escape
  5. It allows for Artillery to guarantee his combo for the most part
  6. It has a lower range than all of his skills

Now why did I put #6 as a pro? Because I am of the belief that Artillery should go directly into the team fights after he blows his load from a far and having Artillery Barrage promotes such behavior. The only thing Homing Missile does that Barrage can't do is tracking for chasing. Some people like the look and animation of the Homing Missile too, but some people also liked the Prophet bird form. Some things gotta go.

Role Confusion

So everything I have said is under the assumption that Artillery is still meant to be a carry. But Since he underperforms so much under that category, what else is he supposed to be then? Is he just supposed to be a ganker after 6, because Homing Missile is geared towards ganking. I've seen people suicide with him (with varying outcomes). He can't carry with LRMs well, he can't carry traditionally well, but everyone can ward and get supportive items. If he's supposed to be an alternative support/damage source, this isn't even the best iteration of him for the job, and there better heroes for the job too. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, Artillery's current issues are

• Doesn't really farm that well
  • If he doesn't excel early-mid game, he really falls off
  • Abilities limit him to be a semi carry at best
  • Pure high damage LRM build is countered/dealt-with very easily
  • Homing Missile is just a big poo poo skill
  • Role confusion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible Solutions

1. Bring back Artillery Barrage to replace Homing Missile. It will do him so much better. I think this is a must.

2. Remove the creep damage reduction on LRMs

3.Increases blast radius of LRMs

4. Rework Special Ammunition: Fragmentation Shells + Bunker Down (Legacy + Carry that has LRMs route)

-Passively adds a 7% movement speed slow to all non DoT damage Artillery outputs that lasts for 3 seconds.

-Can be stacked 2/3/4/5 times.

-Active: Places a 300 radius circle on the ground where Artillery stands for 8 seconds.

-In this area, Artillery gains 5/15/25/35% bonus base damage, 50/100/150/200 attack range, and 150/300/450/600 cast range on LRM and Mortar

*Cost: 10 Mana

*Cooldown: 10 seconds

I really think Special Ammo right now is a very boring skill. There were so many good ideas that were scrapped. This is a good time to bring some back.

5. Rework Artillery into his Precision Targeting Protocols variant (Mixed Damage Utility Hero)

This variant of Artillery was actually very strong and enjoyable to play. Quite frankly, it was the best balance between carry and non carry that was put out. Because his LRM scaling was lowered, there was less of a push to go for straight damage. In conjunction with Artillery Barrage back, you could play Artillery in this variant as many roles besides carry effectively. The mini missiles from PTP offered a lot of mixed damage too as well as making farming creeps a lot easier than it is today. I remember hearing that this variant of Artillery was scrapped because there was too much screen clutter. It's a real pity, because they struck a  nice and balanced version of him.

-----------------------------

Rebukes and other unorganized thoughts

-I guess the LRM damage reduction to creeps was placed because Artillery would be a very strong defender when it came to barracks time, but there are so many other heroes that nuke waves safely and get away with it. For example, midas, draconis, pyro, bomb, nymph, glad, bybbkes, tort, parallax, ss, valk (staffed). Why can't Artillery?

-I remember hearing some people were mad that Homing Missile got changed and they lost their animation for Ascension Artillery, then complained enough to get it changed. If that's true, I don't think that's a good enough reason to curse Artillery with a bad Ulti

-The people that complain that Artillery is frustrating to play against are the same people who don't buy wards when needed or change their item builds to fit who they are playing against. Probably the same people who would buy a wingbow against an all magic team.

-I don't think this current form, or any of the forms of Artillery really will fit the role of the Long Range Damage niche. I don't think that niche fundamentally goes with the carry role. 

Thank you for reading through my ramblings

• Like 1

I can't give you meaningful discussion about the state Artillery faces currently but at least I'd like to provide some information about Artillery through times honpedia doesn't cover as below

Artillery's backburner material because he's just too hard to balance & design/rework on a base level & ultimately he's not really that important of a hero in HoN. The main reason why he's so hard to balance is specifically because of the long range aspect of the hero being a prime frustration factor, in the sense that it promotes not interacting as much as possible.

Backburner at this point is equivalent to condemning him to mediocrity forever. You're saying he's hard to balance, then let's talk about how to fix it here. 

If his extreme long range focus is inherently the problem, which I agree with, then let's tackle that first. Why don't we start with lowering his max range from 2k down to some where around 1500? Shift his effective range downwards, which would encourage him to play with his team.

I mean that he's not going to be looked at this patch. You can post suggestions here since you put some thought into your thread on the exact changes you want, but I'm not going to consider implementation until 4.8.8 at the earliest. 

It's likely going to be 4.8.9 or later. Artillery simply isn't a priority right now. 

Edited by ElementUser

Is it really impossible to make even slight number adjustments till you can properly look at him then? Things like:

-Up LRM damage from 10 to 12

-Lower/Remove LRM damage reduction to creeps

-Increase blast radius of LRM by a little

-Lower cast range from Special Ammo in compensation

My little coding experience tells me these are just variables you can easily tweak. Is it really that hard to change these things mechanically, or do you really think Artillery does not need any help. I can guarantee you small changes like this will be nowhere near the levels of imbalance of the Dr. or Grinex buffs that we just went through.

I can, but my point is that even if I do all these changes, his design is the issue here. No matter how much I number tweak, he'll either lose his feel & long-range design, or the problem won't be solved.

He's a pretty binary hero right now in the sense that he's feast-or-famine.

Edited by ElementUser

Are you then willing to put a band aid on him next patch until we can solve the core issue then? And as for fixing that core issue, have any of the ideas I have proposed sound anywhere near receivable? I want to make this an easier process for you with fruitful discussions that provide good/detailed suggestions.  But I need to know if my ideas are shit or not.

In his current state, Artillery's several limitations to Q is what prevents him to be a carry (only a semi-carry at best) - not only due to the creep damage reduction added but also due to the reduced damage based on missile impact distance aspect of the ability. These two (in combination) is what makes it harder for Artillery to flash farm (since his W is a relatively weak creep clear ability). Just due to these limitations alone (in consideration of the rest of his kit), I don't think Artillery should be played as a carry at this point.

He does, however, have several abusable factors which can be utilized as a support (yes, I am suggesting to play him as a secondary support now rather than a carry) - factors which aren't considered much due to popular role as carry:

1. His long range allows him to easily stack multiple camps (about 3 most of the time; 2 is easy for him even when seemingly out of time to stack). More stacks = more farm for the actual flash farmers (and more exp for you; gold if with Zamos)
  2. With a support-centric role, you'd be prioritizing levels on W and E. This allows him to be (1) less mana hungry in harassing enemies (as he doesn't need Q to do so), (2) allows him to have higher ability ranges early on (which makes stacking multiple camps easier)
  3. Even with less levels on Q, you'd be surprised that the damage to heroes is still high (especially when paired with R so your missiles focus on the hero stunned). Technically, what you lose in less Q is minimal in a support-centric build (as the scaling aspect is more or less the only thing lost). Farming-wise, you'd be launching a W after a few shots of Q to secure creep kills.
  4. The recent addition of SotM (and the option to upgrade to Master's Legacy) allows him to patch up his other deficiencies (bulk, low mana pool), while also patching up the biggest weakness of his ultimate (a Nullstone) - and players do not generally expect Artillery to build support-ish. SotM also provides flexibility in missile launches (as it is no longer a direct target (meaning you can target based on estimated positions). Upgrading to Legacy allows you to unlock strong SotM upgrades for your teammates (saving them a slot and lots of gold).
  5. If you build him this way, Resto Stone then becomes a viable pick-up (potentially 4 Homing Missiles for your team to pick-off enemies).
  6. If you play as a support Artillery, enemies may be focusing on the "wrong" hero in terms of ganks and pick-offs - freeing up space for your carries to farm more safely.
  7. Picking up a bottle is a good alternative source of mana (where go back to base from time to time to refill or get some runes to refill from). This also acts as a mana/health reservoir (given Artillery's natural lack of bulk and mana limitations).

If you are to build a support-ish Artillery, your core would be Zamos (gain gold alongside your carry/ganker), Mana Battery (for emergencies / quick mana refill), Bottle (your reservoir), and Ghost Marchers (as your main damage and mobility source early on). From here, you can try to aim towards SotM (even a Glowstone goes a long way for your overall health and mana pool) and/or Shroud (for positioning and a bit more damage) - eventually converging to have both. Energizer, Madfred's, or Chalice can be a poor-man's build in between if you are having a harder time farming up for larger items.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Donbran said:

Is it really impossible to make even slight number adjustments till you can properly look at him then? Things like:

-Up LRM damage from 10 to 12

-Lower/Remove LRM damage reduction to creeps

-Increase blast radius of LRM by a little

-Lower cast range from Special Ammo in compensation

My little coding experience tells me these are just variables you can easily tweak. Is it really that hard to change these things mechanically, or do you really think Artillery does not need any help. I can guarantee you small changes like this will be nowhere near the levels of imbalance of the Dr. or Grinex buffs that we just went through.

I know that heroes are not balanced for MW, but it is important to recognize that MW is a popular mode and Artillery is God tier there.  Straight number buffs will be very poorly received by the MW community, unless fundamental mechanic changes happen in parallel.

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

4 hours ago, MacroHard said:

I know that heroes are not balanced for MW, but it is important to recognize that MW is a popular mode and Artillery is God tier there.  Straight number buffs will be very poorly received by the MW community, unless fundamental mechanic changes happen in parallel.

But the thing about it is that when it comes to MW, Artillery is already banned for the majority of the games. Throughout 2020 at least, I don't think I've seen a single Artillery in any of the MW games I've played because he was outright banned. Slight QoL buffs won't affect that, because he will always be a hero with a high ban rate in MW.

Also, as long as you don't touch the direct damage scaling portion of the LRM,  there shouldn't be an issue. The main problem people have with Artillery MW is when he hits you from far away, not when he's shooting creeps for gold. Considering the pace of MW games too, a small single digit damage buff to LRM would phase out very quickly.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, Donbran said:

Are you then willing to put a band aid on him next patch until we can solve the core issue then? And as for fixing that core issue, have any of the ideas I have proposed sound anywhere near receivable? I want to make this an easier process for you with fruitful discussions that provide good/detailed suggestions.  But I need to know if my ideas are shit or not.

Which ones do you want to see?

I can do a band-aid, but I'm not doing anything more than number tweaking/minor adjustment tweaking if you want it this patch (this means I'm not bringing back old abilities as a regular skill).

I saw 5 possible solutions you listed, but a preferred set would at least tell me the direction you want to go in with the hero without doing reworks for the moment.

Edited by ElementUser
3 hours ago, ElementUser said:

I can do a band-aid, but I'm not doing anything more than number tweaking/minor adjustment tweaking if you want it this patch (this means I'm not bringing back old abilities as a regular skill).

I saw 5 possible solutions you listed, but a preferred set would at least tell me the direction you want to go in with the hero without doing reworks for the moment.

He's too good at range, too bad at farming.  Scale back those two things.  That's the general direction I'd like to see.

Off the top of my head:

• Increase damage to neutral creeps from 50% to 40%/60%/80%/100%.
  • If LRM hits an enemy hero, Artillery is sighted for 1 second.
  • Increase wander of LRM rockets (more difficult to aim accurately the further the target)

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

2 hours ago, ElementUser said:

I was going to settle just for

1. - Increase LRM flat damage back to 12 at least
    • This should allow him a better shot during laning phase
  2. - Remove all Creep damage reduction, whether it be flat out removal or like Macrohard's scaling removal 
    • This should allow him to be able to farm consistently provided he has enough damage starting around mid game
    • Now he can actually defend base from bigger creeps come end game

And if you feel that this would make him a little too much, lop off some of the Special Ammo extra range by 200 or something

I think those 2 buffs would alone would straighten his progression enough with the least amount of work.

As for general direction I'd like to see Artillery move closer towards his debut version, so more along the lines of a carry that possesses LRMs. Meaning he doesn't need to have extreme long range, just general long range. So those big reworks that would align with this direction would be

1. Special Ammo   ->   (Fragmentation Shell + Bunker Down) 
    • scratch the cast range buff on LRM and Mortar when Bunkered Down that I originally proposed though
  2. Homing Missile ->   Artillery Barrage

My suggestions:

1) Make his W give clearvision around the area

2) SoTM effect: increase the radius of W, the duration of the clearvision effect and give his Q some bonus magic damage against enemies inside the clearvision flare (to counter the armor buildup which completely destroys artillery right now)

22 hours ago, Donbran said:

As for general direction I'd like to see Artillery move closer towards his debut version, so more along the lines of a carry that possesses LRMs. Meaning he doesn't need to have extreme long range, just general long range. So those big reworks that would align with this direction would be

1. Special Ammo   ->   (Fragmentation Shell + Bunker Down) 
    • scratch the cast range buff on LRM and Mortar when Bunkered Down that I originally proposed though
  2. Homing Missile ->   Artillery Barrage

The issue with that part is that it will overlap and overshadow Flint in it's own niche (tbh, Flint could really use something like the bunker down ability)

Edited by Bersk

I will have to raise though that making LRM central to what makes Artillery a damage-based carry is what makes him entirely flawed in the first place - unless there are mechanics in place to mitigate these flaws:

1. LRM, as a channeling ability, may have its long range and its high damage potential when farmed. However, it also prevents Artillery from auto-attacking - shoehorning him to build mostly damage and nothing else (if to be built to carry), since most attack modifiers or attack-based procs mean nothing for him. This is one of the reasons why (a) Shroud is usually core on him (as the invi / mobility portion complements his kit while also giving him more raw attack damage to boost his LRM damage) and (b) Doombringer makes or breaks his late-game prowess (as this is the item with the best damage/gold/slot ratio and is also an item he can abuse through long range - and there are no items which can come close to what Doombringer can offer Artillery). 
  2. LRM's ability to scale is limited by the fact that its locked to +28% of his damage per missile (unlike others who fully benefit from what they build - in terms of additional bonuses, damage, attack speed). It sure is strong early on (since 10 damage per missile + the % boost for longer channeling + the inherent base damage the ability benefits from has a lot of damage potential during the early game - with 240 Physical Damage at level 1 minimum).
  3. He over-depends on LRM to carry. Chances are, he is unable to follow-up with anything else once his LRM is out of charges (unless enemies rush towards him to allow him to be in range to attack).
  4. LRM's maximum damage potential is mostly single-target - given that the missile damage descales (quickly from 100% to 0%) based on distance from the center of the blast (and the blast radius being about 200 means that in a few steps, damage is already cut to 50% or more).

If anything, I would instead suggest looking at E first - such that range increase is sacrificed to make way for carry-complementing aspects (if the direction is to keep him as one). Precision Targeting Protocols is one step towards this - especially when added with the possibility of applying attack modifiers (in some way) through these missiles, then transition him towards a cast-based, long-range damage carry (one who balances between his damage-based carry items and casts to proc Precision Targeting Protocol missiles) - since LRM can be considered a cast-based ability as well. This, then, probably allows him to be more distinct from Flint as a long-ranged carry, while also being distinct from other cast-based carries.

Other aspects of Q can also be reviewed - like lowering max range for a larger blast radius (so damage degrades less in just a bit of difference in distance) and/or a higher minimum damage at the edge of the radius (helps with wave clearing / farming without sacrificing his single-target damage potential).

Edited by The_CarRan
Added fourth point and last paragraph related to LRM tweaks
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Bersk said:

The issue with that part is that it will overlap and overshadow Flint in it's own niche (tbh, Flint could really use something like the bunker down ability)

A little overlap is fine, because even if Artillery can be more actively auto attacking between the 600-900 range , Flint will outperform him. And to compensate for not being as good as Flint is in that range, he has access to farther ranges of combat.

+1 for PTP artillery. LRM is too one-dimensional, having the whole kit basically just different ways to empower this one skill makes the hero a one trick pony that doesn't fit anywhere.

PTP re-introduced the hero with multiple weaponries that were functional on their own, both fitting the name Artillery and synergizing well. Save for PTP itself, which were flat dps increase to all other skills with no differentiating utility. For this earlier i suggested a version which had cooldown proc, and %proc during cooldown on each unit. That fires 0/1/2/3 additional rockets to other targets to make it the AOE damage passive, that becomes his farming tool without making it scale with LRM. This would also be magic damage so it can be countered with barrier.

On 9/26/2020 at 11:45 AM, Donbran said:

Possible Solutions

1. Bring back Artillery Barrage to replace Homing Missile. It will do him so much better. I think this is a must.

2. Remove the creep damage reduction on LRMs

3.Increases blast radius of LRMs

4. Rework Special Ammunition: Fragmentation Shells + Bunker Down (Legacy + Carry that has LRMs route)

-Passively adds a 7% movement speed slow to all non DoT damage Artillery outputs that lasts for 3 seconds.

-Can be stacked 2/3/4/5 times.

-Active: Places a 300 radius circle on the ground where Artillery stands for 8 seconds.

-In this area, Artillery gains 5/15/25/35% bonus base damage, 50/100/150/200 attack range, and 150/300/450/600 cast range on LRM and Mortar

*Cost: 10 Mana

*Cooldown: 10 seconds

I really think Special Ammo right now is a very boring skill. There were so many good ideas that were scrapped. This is a good time to bring some back.

5. Rework Artillery into his Precision Targeting Protocols variant (Mixed Damage Utility Hero)

This variant of Artillery was actually very strong and enjoyable to play. Quite frankly, it was the best balance between carry and non carry that was put out. Because his LRM scaling was lowered, there was less of a push to go for straight damage. In conjunction with Artillery Barrage back, you could play Artillery in this variant as many roles besides carry effectively. The mini missiles from PTP offered a lot of mixed damage too as well as making farming creeps a lot easier than it is today. I remember hearing that this variant of Artillery was scrapped because there was too much screen clutter. It's a real pity, because they struck a  nice and balanced version of him.

@Donbran Based on your Possible Solutions mentioned, here let me tweaked it a bit so that the hero will be more FUN when used, less "FLINTY", less FRUSTRATION to play with or against. Current SOTM sucks btw and should be rework for good.

Artillery heavily relies on his LRM, since the hero debut, and that is the way it should and will be.

Q. LRM

- Damage Reduction to creeps increase from 50% to 60%

E. Special Ammunition (Reworked)

- Port Precision Targeting Protocols, as its passive
- Magic Damage of mini missiles reduce from 20/40/60/80 to 20/30/40/50

-Activate to gain 5/7/10/12 ammunition instantenously.

-Activate Bunker Down for 6 seconds and gain its buff.

*Bunker Down
- When Active, Your abilities have an increased in it cast range by 200/400/600/800.
-When Active, enhance LRM damage from 12 + 7/14/21/28% to 12 + 10/20/30/40 % of attack damage.
-Position is sighted to enemies when inside the active radius only when the enemy is within 2100 range of the skill.

Mana Cost: 60
Cooldown: 16 seconds
Radius: 300
Missile Range : 1200

SOTM (new)
LRM : now pass thru enemy units.

if this tweaked version of skill rework will be implemented,  its much guaranteed that the usage percentage will skyrocket dramaticaly, probably. Art's new E gives so much perk at the expense of its position being revealed and be countered.

I'm really loving all these PTP and non auto-attacking focused ideas. It looks like this is the general better direction for Artillery.

So what if we made it so that PTP's damage also scales off of his damage too? That way Artillery does scaling mixed damage. Something like 10/20/30/40 + 50% of attack damage.

The main issue I'm starting to see is that we're loading up a lot of stuff into the E, which makes sense since it does the least now. Would we maybe want to shift some effects into mortar or LRM in order to balance things out?