Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

community driven balance changes

Step 1:  Have a monthly forum competition for simple balance changes.

• Week 1:  Submissions
    • All submissions must be achievable with basic scripting; code and animation implementations not allowed
    • Basically number tweaks or simple mechanics
  • Week 2:  First round voting (all valid entries)
  • Week 3:  FB staff analyze results
    • FB staff has the right to filter finalists (to remove complicated implementations or troll/bad suggestions that were somehow upvoted)
  • Week 4:  Finalist voting (top 5)
    • Poll can be hosted on a third party polling site, such as Google sheets or Strawpoll
    • The main interface when logging in can advertise the competition and link to the poll, to expand voting to all players rather than just forum users

Step 2:  Winning submission is automatically added into next patch.

• Official patch notes gives credit to submitting user
  • User gets X gold coins, forum swag, or whatever is appropriate
  • Non-winning finalists are automatically re-entered for first round voting for the next month, so good ideas are not lost

Step 3:  Hype

HON.  Of the People.  For the People.

Edited by MacroHard
  • Like 2

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Look, I like the idea in theory but I highly doubt that the general community can do this without bias. Even then, I really think doing something like this also removes the idea of a vision for a patch or a game direction. Disparate changes without an actual direction can be fun, but they can also cause a ton of problems.

None of this even takes into account the fact that many people will use it as a way to bash the hero they dislike, or don't understand.

Do you remember the complaints about Ra when he came out? A hero who is considered to be universally terrible outside of pubs? Now do that, but every month, with every hero as on the possible butcher's block.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?