Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Hi guys ?
I made a midwars Tier List including all heroes.

The heroes inside the tiers are in no order. For example: Flint can be Number 1 at S tier or Ellonia can, doesn't matter.

What do you guys think about my rankings? Are any totally out of place?

I know the B Tier has by far the largest margin. That's because i think you can literally pick any of those heroes and it wont be bad. The Gap in that tier is also pretty big though. Some heroes are much more close to A tier, some much more close to C tier.

spacer.png

If you wanna make your own HoN- Related Tierlist, the link to the template i created (with all the hero sprites) is here: https://tierlists.com/create/hon-midwars-1

e: After some thinking, Cala, VJ and DS should be A Tier.  Deadlift, CD, Bomb, Arma and Tort are kinda inbetween A and B. Maybe Nomad can go up to C

Edited by cobaye
  • Like 1

Great initiative!

But at first glance I don't completely agree.

Going up one or more tiers: ara, bs, dl, flux, cthulu, tort. Probably some more too.

Going down one or more tiers: sapphire, ew, midas, pred, temp. I'm sure I've missed some here too.

A lot of heroes are easily countered with items (jere, mart, pred...) and since it's mostly 5v5 fights having that item at the right time shouldn't be a problem.

A tier list is always very subjective but I definitely think you are over valuing a couple of heroes and undervaluing several others.

Thunderbringer while having strong nuking potential early has a very finite scaling dependent on his abilities, and abilities fall of in late game in favour of pure right clicking damage potential. Meanwhile. Heroes such as armadon, deadlift (hello staff), warchief and even salomon are being grossly under valued.

I understand your reasoning for many of your rankings but i feel some choices may have been made out of a lack of understanding of the play style surrounding the hero. Yes if both teams are to continually butt heads in the middle lane with no other consideration then it may be a fair ranking but at higher levels of play, every resource on the map is taken advantage of and heroes which you have undervalued will shine very strongly.

I think there are more heroes out of place in your list than there are who are right. Don't have time to analyze everything, but:

- The best carries are, in my opinion, Flint and Tarot. There's an argument to have Master of Arms and maybe Klanx up there as well. All other carries are a notch lower.
- You are very much missing supports in your tier list. They haven't gotten weaker. Accursed is still one of the best heroes in the game, Rhapsody and Pearl aren't much behind.
- I think Devo is the best hero in the format. There are some who disagree with me, although most would at least agree he's one of the best heroes in the format.
- I've come to like Shellshock a LOT less, because his spin is extremely telegraphed.
- In your next tier, Tempest is crap, Solstice is crap, Predator is crap, Pestilence is crap. Many of the other heroes are average at best, e.g. Plague Rider, Riftwalker, Wretched Hag. Magmus used to be good but he's one of the worst affected by the extra gold in the game now, since his scaling is terrible.
- In your C tier, Ophelia is crap, and only got more crap after the jungle change. Keeper is also crap, always has been. There's also quite a lot of variance in the rest of the tier, e.g. Bushwack/Arachna are significantly better than Zephyr/Rampage. Circe and Moraxus stand out as underrated.
- In your D tier, Goldenveil and Drunken Master stand out as underrated.
- Deadlift and Balphagore might be two of the more underrated heroes in the game, based on what I've seen. They're seldom banned, not always picked, but seem to always overperform strongly.

15 hours ago, MacroHard said:

Torturer is S tier.  I'm glad nobody else has realized it yet.

Torturer is not S tier. He used to be six years ago, but he's one of the heroes worst impacted by the fact that late-game scaling is now very important. As it is, in his role, he's overshadowed by Ellonia and Pyromancer, maybe Thunderbringer, maybe even Myrmidon.

I feel like if you're really good at a "mediocre" hero, that elevates it up a tier or 2. And likewise if you're bad at a hero or have bad experiences with them you're gonna rate it lower.

In addition to this, some heroes are obviously better in particular match ups and in combination with other heroes, where as individually in a vacuum they could be considered weak.

E.g. Torturer is a god tier hero in my eyes, but if you're against a bunch of silence he's gonna feel worse and also if you cant/dont play him well enough (itemization/skill wise).

Tort is like DR in the sense he can make use of all the mana he has very very well, he only lacks DR's insane mobility leading you to either tank up and hold your ground or to buy mobility like movement speed or a tablet.

Either way he's a fountain of magic damage and very fun to play, he has a mini flux ulti on E for crying out loud ("pull them f***ers in").

Edited by TehNubZar

So much Heroes that need to be banned now u can never ban all and every game sucks,

because there is a Tarot, a Sapphire, a Predator, or one of the other 15 Heroes that are much to OP and unbalanced in Midwars.

• 2 weeks later...

made one too:

my-midwars-tier-list-c00355fe-d7ba-4004-

This is my personal Impression and Taste, so of course the "Pro's" will not agree but to me it just feels like this,

"S" Heroes don't require much skills, the team that has more of them wins. 95% of the games.

"A" Ranking depends mostly on the players skills but can be unstoppable if played well and fed.

"B" is what i think is balanced pretty well. Not much to change in my opinion, but i always love SOTM Upgrades.

"C" Heroes could use some love, but can still hold there own in a balanced game (but sadly not much games are balanced these days)

"D" Heroes need a Buff in my eyes. Because they just can not compete with the rest of the Heroes.

Feel free to comment on the List.

Edited by Lifewaster

It's funny to see Golden Veil in D tier list. That heroes can boost GPM more 300-400/min while can be used of both carry or busted way. Never see a good one???

Edited by w3_StarBoy

HoN SEA Player

23 hours ago, Lifewaster said:

made one too:

my-midwars-tier-list-c00355fe-d7ba-4004-

After a quick glance

Artesia is great and should be moved up at least 2 tiers, her healing capabilities are 2 guud.

Pred and martyr can be moved down 2 or more tiers, they are too easily countered with items. Armadon probably 1 or more tiers, get a nullfire vs him and just target him last. Burn his mana, cleanse his passive buff or dispel spine charges dmg from your team. 

Flint and artillery are good but since the main problem is "they can just stay back and deal dmg" someone on your team can get a pk and disable them since they are already isolated from their team. So move them down.

Nymph, rhap and emp should move up one or more tiers too, they are great.

CriticalW's tier list is much closer to my thinking, but still lots of discrepancies.

- Armadon is not god tier. He used to be better, but then he was 1) nerfed and 2) never god tier anyway.
- What's with everyone thinking Shellshock is good? The charge is sooooo telegraphed (+ not cancel-able) and aside from the charge it's not like Shellshock does much. Harass a bit, I suppose, but that should be mopped up by the opposing support.
- Deadlift is not god tier either. He's good and a great tank, but lacks damage, stuns, and has an ineffective ultimate.
- Plague Rider is overrated. Later in the game he's virtually useless outside of his ultimate, and even the ultimate is easily negated by Shrunken.
- At the other end, Chronos is significantly better than where he is. The ultimate has few counters and is fight-winning, and he doesn't need PK to use it.
- Used to play Ophelia occasionally, but after the neutral camp rework she's virtually unplayable. You can't use the neutrals and at that point you're just a bad nuker.
- Keeper is just as unplayable. His skills are all useless except for the ultimate, which isn't even fight-winning since 1) you need PK to position it, and 2) Shrunken/Geo's breaks you out.

Tried my hand at making a tier list for Mid Wars! Around 1800 on my highest sub-account, so opinions are just what I've experienced in my own games. I spent a while trying to put the heroes in the correct tier (imo), and think this is fairly close to how things seem to work. Several heroes that could be bumped up or down a bit depending on opinions or the situation. Was fun to make this list, and I enjoy seeing everyone else's!

spacer.png

Looks pretty good in general although I will say you're overrating carries - in S tier you only have one non-carry, and you have many carries ranked too highly (e.g. Silhouette). Otherwise, some quick notes:

- Generally not a fan of Slither. He's not bad, he's just not very good either and lacks up-front damage (which is especially important because you can expect to play against a lot of Power Supplies in MW, not to mention Astrolabe, Barrier Idol and possibly an enemy healer).
- Magebane and Oogie are extremely overrated in your list, both of them are B at best. Magebane might even be C.
- Solstice is bad. Hero needs to frontline because that's her role, but she also needs to backline because of her ultimate. She's inconsistent and not good at a result.
- You underestimate Flux - the hero is very dangerous with AoE teammates. He might not be that good standalone (although he's still threatening against heroes such as Artillery, simply by pulling them out of position), but he's a great enabler.

With all our lists we can still see some faces in the upper corner and some at the bottom of every list.
You don't need to say one list is better then another, but this heroes that are on top of every list
needs some nerf wile the ones at the bottom needs some buffs.

i think we at least can agree to this?

1 hour ago, Lifewaster said:

With all our lists we can still see some faces in the upper corner and some at the bottom of every list.
You don't need to say one list is better then another, but this heroes that are on top of every list
needs some nerf wile the ones at the bottom needs some buffs.

i think we at least can agree to this?

Well HoN is balanced around FoC and the tier list there would be different. Even though a lot of us only play mw it is not the main mode.

Yeah i can understand this.
And i now have accepted that there will be no Midwars balance.
So the next best thing we can ask for is more Bans, or some other way that 
helps players like me to get a fair game without always the same few heroes that
dominate the battle.

• Like 1