Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

[Question] Is it possible to disable alt avatars?

I've recently come back to hon after a long break, and find that a lot of the avatars have started to blend it with eachother. 
If there is a mod that disables all avatars (and/or announcers) i'd be extremely happy. I think there use to be mods for this, but i assume they are long lost and forgotten. 

If someone has experience or ideas on how a mod like this would be created, i'd also be happy to chip in.

16 hours ago, scoutmidkthx said:

I've recently come back to hon after a long break, and find that a lot of the avatars have started to blend it with eachother. 
If there is a mod that disables all avatars (and/or announcers) i'd be extremely happy. I think there use to be mods for this, but i assume they are long lost and forgotten. 

If someone has experience or ideas on how a mod like this would be created, i'd also be happy to chip in.

To disable all announcers, you can use this upadated mod.

Edited by RedBear

Okay i see, thanks a lot. It would be super boring to go through every single hero and their avatars. So if i want to achieve this it has to be automated it i suppose.

I looked into "resources1.zip\heroes\accursed".

Do you think it would be too buggy to copy-paste the classic-avatars ability_x, effects, sound, clips into each alt-folder? I saw that the hero.entity file has a lot of configuration for each avatar, so i assume it wouldn't work properly, although it does sound like it would be automatable.

8 hours ago, SCOUTMIDKTHX said:

Okay i see, thanks a lot. It would be super boring to go through every single hero and their avatars. So if i want to achieve this it has to be automated it i suppose.

I looked into "resources1.zip\heroes\accursed".

Do you think it would be too buggy to copy-paste the classic-avatars ability_x, effects, sound, clips into each alt-folder? I saw that the hero.entity file has a lot of configuration for each avatar, so i assume it wouldn't work properly, although it does sound like it would be automatable.

There are too many pitfalls that complicate the automation process.
If I remember correctly, @Anakonda made a similar program in the past.
You can ask him to share it with you if he still has it.

https://ape3000.com/~anakonda/honmods/honalts.zip

You need to set your hon path in the settings.py file in bin folder. If you get permission denied you need to run it as admin.

It changes model, sounds, attack projectile and depending on hero some effects. This is more like good starting point than completed mod.

source is here if you are interested https://github.com/Anakonda/hon-alts

• 1 month later...

Thanks @HenryCase . I think actually a big part of this is also to get closer to the old "nostalgic" feeling. I played a lot in late 2009 and the years after that. I'm currently looking at @Anakondas solution. I changed it slightly to just loop over all heroes and try to generate either pog_skin, default, alt or alt2. It fails for some heroes which i have to look into tomorrow.

• Like 1