Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Why can't HoN be original?

I've been following all of the changes for HoN since forever, I always get excited when HoN releases new patch notes because I always have the idea in my head that MAYBE just MAYBE HoN can become its own thing. But every single patch notes always copy everything from Dota2, sometimes takes the concept and slightly changes the numbers. Why? Why can't HoN be its own thing ? Its just sad. 

You want the game to be original just for the sake of being original?

If the changes are similar to what is done in other games but also work for HoN then that´s great!

Its like telling electric vehicle companies to be more original and not place their battery packs the same way their competitors do. 

Usually companies copy each other. What I do not like is the fact that HON became CASUAL with those so called METAS and HEROES that requiere 1 or 2 brain cells to literally win win a lane or game. 

22 hours ago, ScrubFactory said:

You want the game to be original just for the sake of being original?

If the changes are similar to what is done in other games but also work for HoN then that´s great!

Its like telling electric vehicle companies to be more original and not place their battery packs the same way their competitors do. 

HoN has been constantly balancing the game and making changes according to Dota 2 way before they were short staffed. I don't see the point of playing HoN as its pretty much the same as playing Dota2. The game will never be successful or at least alive if its gonna continue being a cheap replica of a successful game. I find it a bit funny that some of you think that its a plus that its more like dota2, yeah that's why the game never flourished into its own thing, while it was close sadly it will be its own demise.

There´s so much BS in your post its difficult to even say anything. If you dont see the point of playing HoN then by all means, don´t play it?

You really think that current developers and balancers are going change their approach just because some random person on forum is pissed for some arbitrary things?

HoN has been here for over 10+ years...You know how many posts i´ve read where people say HoN will die because of X, Y or Z? Countless, you are just another one of those doomsayers thinking they know everything.

Just out of curiosity, what are the changes you expect so HoN would be its "own thing"? 

Edited by ScrubFactory

I mean, if you have the developing power as large as Steam behind your project, you are going to produce better results, no matter what.

It's like saying "Why does Ikea sell more furniture than my local shop run by Mr. Rogers?!". The answer is quite obvious.

50 minutes ago, Seffers said:

I mean, if you have the developing power as large as Steam behind your project, you are going to produce better results, no matter what.

It's like saying "Why does Ikea sell more furniture than my local shop run by Mr. Rogers?!". The answer is quite obvious.

McDonalds has an enormous company behind it. Doesn't necessarily mean people don't enjoy other foods.

9 hours ago, ScrubFactory said:

There´s so much BS in your post its difficult to even say anything. If you dont see the point of playing HoN then by all means, don´t play it?

You really think that current developers and balancers are going change their approach just because some random person on forum is pissed for some arbitrary things?

HoN has been here for over 10+ years...You know how many posts i´ve read where people say HoN will die because of X, Y or Z? Countless, you are just another one of those doomsayers thinking they know everything.

Just out of curiosity, what are the changes you expect so HoN would be its "own thing"? 

Calm your tits, like perhaps stop looking at Dota2 patch notes and copy pasting everything into their own ? Create a game that has its own direction and own goals rather than again copy pasting every single piece of change from a different game ? I remember they finally made something fun by removing Kongor and having two extra objectives that had its own rewards, but the problem is HoN playerbase are just stuck on the nostalgia factor. Your game is already dying, and you're still stuck, living in a bubble thinking that its good. Like, the results speak for themselves. But I guess you will still defend the game, and will keep it in the trash state it currently is. I even remember one of the developers was frustrated with the community when they brought fresh changes because nobody wants change. 

• Haha 1

Stopped reading after "copying every single change". If you can´t present your arguments without gross exaggeration then you are simply not worth the discussion.

Edited by ScrubFactory
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ScrubFactory said:

Stopped reading after "copying every single change". If you can´t present your arguments without gross exaggeration then you are simply not worth the discussion.

The addition of recent new items, sotm changes, nitro rework bootleg windrunner 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ScrubFactory said:

Apparently its been dying for half a decade now. But for some reason I still get to play the game whenever I want. 

Sure you do, but if you can't see the current state of the game, then I'm sorry but you're in denial.

Edited by audrius145

Oh yeah...some random dude on the forums knows better than people who have played this game since beta. Yeah. 

If the game doesnt cater to your needs then the playerbase must be in denial. Get off your high horse.

2 hours ago, ScrubFactory said:

Oh yeah...some random dude on the forums knows better than people who have played this game since beta. Yeah. 

If the game doesnt cater to your needs then the playerbase must be in denial. Get off your high horse.

I've played since beta too, no need to assume random things ?. I guess its pointless arguing with someone who's blind and in denial.  

In denial about what exactly?

You arent happy with the direction the game is going. So what? Why should the rest of us, who still enjoy the game, care about it?

I think EU is doing a fantastic job when it comes to balancing and the overall direction. He can´t please everyone so threads just like this one are bound to pop up.

There is literally nothing that can be taken from your original post that is constructive or helpful. Some changes are similar to changes in Dota2? So what? There have been changes in Dota2 that were taken directly from HoN. Because the games are similar and if the developers think something would work in HoN then what on earth is the problem?

Lmao, the game is already dead, its been dead for at least 2 years now, theres a reason why they hide player numbers, we used to have a healthy 150k+ playerbase online before all this changes, just because you can get games doesnt mean the game is in good shape, not that it matters at this point, going in a different direction would only make them lose the few players that stick thru all these changes.

Edited by GiveUpBra

you can tell hon is dead the servers are hideous laggy games on good ping server lag is apparent for players all over the globe i can play on garena home with 500 ping and yet laggless smooth gameplay

I love it how people toss the "game is dead" as if it actually means anything. What does it mean?

If I get to play HoN every time I want to then how is the game dead? You having arbitrary figure for playerbase that has to be met for the game to "alive" doesnt really mean shit.

I play everyday with 70 ping, no lag at all so can´t relate with you there.

7 hours ago, GiveUpBra said:

we used to have a healthy 150k+ playerbase online before all this changes

Before what changes? You idiots cant even bring out any particular changes that had negative effect on the game. You just throw out these claims without any facts. hurrdurr ded gaim but im still on forums crying about it. You are pathetic.

And Yes, the game is in good shape if I get to play games. That´s the whole point of it. If I get to play it then its good. You think im gonna cry because some dudes on forums cry how they don´t like some changes? Tough shit.

You are already crying and insulting, maybe for you the ping hasnt change, but there are several other regions, latins had their server removed, same for brasil, no new skins nor big patches for a while, if i must specify and exact time when it all started to go downhill it was around patch 4.0 when the game started copying lol and becoming more and more casual. Changes like removing ice prison cast on allies, making high cap skill heroes like tremble and wildsoul becoming easy and boring, i could spend an entire day listing all these changes but i have enough experience to understand you cant make blind people see and i dont need to convince you of anything, the game it is what it is now an arguing more with you its only a waste of time for both.

Wow, yeah...the change for Glacius to not be able to lock allies in ice was one of the major reasons why 200 thousand people left HoN to go play Dota2 so they could lock allies in ice. Right, got it.

So which is, is HoN copying LoL or Dota2? I´m getting confused. 

Yeah, agreed. This isnt even arguing. This is you listing some random changes as "bad" because you feel like they are bad without any actual reasoning like Wildsoul "becoming easy and boring". Okay? How is it boring? How is it easy? Not a single argument. Once again, just because you find something easy, bad or boring doesnt mean everyone feels the same. This is the part you don´t understand.

Edited by ScrubFactory

Let's be real guys. Games like HoN, LoL, and DotA2 all stem from DotA, which means none of these games are original. Do they share similarities? Of course! Are they the same? Absolutely not.

The fact that these games aren't original or that they share similarities doesn't mean they're not unique. If you play a game of DotA, then DotA2; LoL, then HoN, and continue this vice versa, you will quickly realize just how different these games are from one another. I've played them all, as have most of you, and I'm sure we can all testify to the different feel, balance, and strategies that each game has.

Do they copy from each other? Yes. Does this mean they copy each other all the time? Definitely not.

Should they copy from one another? I don't think so. They should refrain from that as much as possible and remain unique, in my opinion.

You will, however, be hard pressed to prove that "every single patch notes always copy everything from Dota2."

• Like 1