Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Hero Draft - Primus, the Ancient Hunter

Alright, another month, another Hero Draft for the fun of it.  This time I bring you Primus, the Ancient Hunter. A disruptive Strength Ganker from the depths of Newerth who wants to get in the middle of a fight and stay there in order to bully enemies around. HoN needed a Crocodile, because every game needs the ultimate in predation and evolution.

Using her skillset, Primus can quickly cover distance with On the Hunt (Q), allowing her to find a pesky target near the back and snap at them, while blasting foes away with the area effect. Her W, Lurking Dive allows her to create no-go areas for enemies while granting her invisibility to reposition and wait for a perfect moment to appear and create another pool to help her survive, escape and cause general mayhem. Lurking Dive allows her to quickly burst and stack areas or stagger them about, which grants her depth to an invisibility skill. Her E grants her a unique aura that can be built around for teams or with item selection as well as granting her the ability to quickly execute targets with too many debuffs on them. Her Ultimate, Death Roll lets her reposition foes to places they definitely don't want to be; whether by walking or by using On the Hunt to find another target to quickly cover distance before escaping with W. By utilizing Q and W, she can knock enemies into other swamplands, forcing them to choose how they want to escape.

Unfortunately, Q cannot be used as an escape mechanism unless she's positioned in such a way that there is a far away enemy to target but W gives her great survivability. Generally she wants to be paired with heroes who can apply many debuffs and stuns such as Slither or Monarch to maximize the crushing power of her E while also slowing targets to allow her to weave in and grab who is needed.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Primus, the Ancient Hunter (v1.0)

Story, Flavour

Spoiler

emperor-crocodile.jpg

From the depths of the brackish waters slept an ancient hunter; a predator only known as Primus,. However once the Hellbourne had laid waste to the world, the sleeping crocodile awoke to find a world unlike the one that he left when she slept. Now filled with anger and hunger that her kin and ecosystem have been destroyed, she vows to lay waste to the demons that did it... And so she arises from the depths; ready to snare and snap and destroy.

Basic

Melee Strength Hero

Strength 22 (+2.7) Agility 18 (+2.0) Intelligence 17 (+1.6)

Movespeed 300 / Armor 4.5 /  Magic Armor 5

Q - On the Hunt

Spoiler

Target Enemy

Range: 500 / 600 / 700 / 800

Radius: 250

Mana Cost: 100

Cooldown: 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 seconds

Primus lets out a bellow and charges the targeted foe. Upon using the ability she knocks back all nearby enemies within 250 units of her and then charges the targeted foe over the course of 1 second dealing 80 / 160 / 240 / 320 magic damage to them and applying a 100% tapering slow for 1 second to the target and any foe in her way.

"My dinner."

W - Lurking Dive

Spoiler

Radius: 300

Mana Cost: 110

Cooldown: 25 / 22 / 19 / 16 seconds

Primus' magic allows her to create favourable swampland for her to fight in. Upon activating the skill, swamp splashes out where Primus is, dealing 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 magic damage and lingering for 3 seconds and making Primus invisible for up to 5 / 7 / 9 / 11 seconds with a bonus 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 move speed.

Upon breaking the invisibility with an ability, item, or attack, another pool of swampland appears at her location for 3 seconds and dealing 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 magic damage upon arrival.

Enemies within the swampland are disarmed and slowed by 20%, lingering for 1.5 seconds after leaving the swampland.

"Consider this worse than the swamp of sadness."

E – Fearsome Maw

Spoiler

Passive

Cooldown: 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 seconds

Aura Radius: 600 units

Enemies who see the ancient hunter are overwhelmed with a sense of dread increasing the duration of debuffs on them by 10 / 20 / 30 / 40%.

When the ability is off cooldown, Primus' next attack deals 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 bonus physical damage and an additional 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 damage for each debuff or stun on the enemy hero.

"I must break you."

R – Death Roll

Spoiler

Target Enemy Hero

Range: 250

Mana Cost: 100 / 150 / 200

Cooldown: 75 / 60 / 45 seconds

Primus clamps down hard on a targeted hero, disarming Primus and stunning the foe for 3 / 4 / 5 seconds or until Primus dies. While the target is stunned this way, they get pulled along with Primus as she moves. The enemy hero takes 20 / 30 / 40 magic damage per 100 units moved during the course of this ability.

"Time for some take out."

Changelog:

Spoiler

v1.0 -> Created

Edited by Hubaris
  • Like 1

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

• 2 months later...

Her W is to strong for a basic ability. Remove the disarm and buff the slow.

R needs a MS cap or reduction. buff him with alot of MS and he is broken. also how would tablet work if he drags them? because he is facing the other way.

• 2 weeks later...

A few typographical errors that you may consider revising.

The errors appear in this passage, 

From the depths of the brackish waters slept an ancient hunter; a predator only known as Primus,. However once the Hellbourne had laid waste to the world, the sleeping crocodile awoke to find a world unlike the one that he left when she slept. Now filled with anger and hunger that her kin and ecosystem have been destroyed, she vows to lay waste to the demons that did it... And so she arises from the depths; ready to snare and snap and destroy.

The first error appears after the word, or name, Primus. There are two pieces of puncuation, a comma and a period. There should only be a period. What now reads as, 'Primus,.' should instead read as 'Primus.'

Also, you seem to use the transition word however in the very next sentence. Please insert a comma after the word however. The text in the passage currently reads 'However once', and should instead read 'However, once' 

8 hours ago, Jed961 said:

A few typographical errors that you may consider revising.

The errors appear in this passage, 

The first error appears after the word, or name, Primus. There are two pieces of puncuation, a comma and a period. There should only be a period. What now reads as, 'Primus,.' should instead read as 'Primus.'

Also, you seem to use the transition word however in the very next sentence. Please insert a comma after the word however. The text in the passage currently reads 'However once', and should instead read 'However, once' 

I appreciate the grammar lesson, but I don't care about compound sentences and grammar.

Thanks I guess?

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

On 10/19/2020 at 8:07 AM, FatliNe said:

Her W is to strong for a basic ability. Remove the disarm and buff the slow.

R needs a MS cap or reduction. buff him with alot of MS and he is broken. also how would tablet work if he drags them? because he is facing the other way.

I can agree with the W pretty much. Probably overbuffed it honestly from my initial design.

R is basically Rampage's old Chains that Bind except she's disarmed, so it's more or less the same (except on a hero with less CC and less MS).