Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
ElementUser

[Donations] Support HoN via Donation Goals!

== Donations ==

Hello HoN players,

As you know, our team at Frostburn Studios has a limited amount of time & resources to invest into different areas of HoN. Each one of us loves HoN, but cannot devote as much time or commitment to it as we would like to because of commitments to other areas in our lives.

The community can help us achieve certain goals more easily by donating towards the development of the game. This allows us to allocate more resources and budgeting to different areas to solve HoN's major issues, bring in some features that players would love the most, and ultimately make HoN the best it can be.

We will have a selected few Donation Goals up at a time based on what HoN needs the most, alongside a long-term general purpose donations category. All donations will be used in some way to benefit HoN and improving the player experience.

== How to Donate ==

Players can donate by clicking on "Store" -> "Donations" in the main bar of our forums (alternatively, just visit the link directly: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/clients/donations/).

You will see the current Donation Goals on this page & can contribute any amount you want to them. Donations will be accepted via Paypal only at this time. The current value of each Donation Goal will be updated and visible to the public. Internally, we do keep track of which account has donated what.

== Donation Goal Examples ==

Some examples for Donation Goals include (but are not limited to):

• Bringing back War Effort as a system

• Server upgrades:
    • Stability and quality upgrades (e.g. DoS protection, hardware upgrades, bandwidth quality upgrades)
    • Increased server count: more servers translates to higher player capacity, which makes it viable to focus on marketing

• Solving some of the game's core issues, such as:
    • The lack of apparent account value
    • New player experience (and fixing bots)
    • Smurfing & how easy it is to just make a new account and enter ranked CoN games right away

• Development on the 64-bit HoN Client to progress the client to the point of an official public release. Benefits of this client include:
    • Faster load times
    • Increased in-game FPS
    • Official client & support for modern Mac OSX (e.g. Catalina latest releases)
    • Official client & support for modern Linux clients (Ubuntu and Debian latest releases)

• More in-game events and out-of-game community events

• Marketing all major features to cater towards veterans and new players alike!

• Funding prize pools for future HoN Tournaments

• Map Upgrades
    • Cosmetic map upgrades, possibly different map skins for different seasons/events.
    • Functional map changes for Forests of Caldavar & Mid Wars alike

• High quality animated art for the login screen & to be used for other areas (e.g. social media banners)

• Server infrastructure upgrades - allows us to do much more in general, including but not limited to the following:
    • Development on a new HoN API (allows for user-made and official HoN tools to be made more easily, such as an in-depth hero statistics application & in-game item usage application)
    • More flexible store management (currently, the store is a huge pain to manage & this cannot be solved unless the server infrastructure is upgraded)
    • Modern solutions for ban evasion
    • Implementing new in-game systems
    • Exclusive store products for donors
    • Doing a major overhaul of the main HoN website
    • Being part of an exclusive Discord group

And potentially more!

== Thank You ==

We appreciate any and all donations for HoN!

Thank you for your continued support to Heroes of Newerth! We will continue to do what we can to support the game and make it the best it can be.

- Frostburn Studios

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I really hope HoN will reach some (or all?!)  donation goals!

im looking forward to this!

-> Solving some of the game's core issues, such as:

• The lack of apparent account value

Help HoN bring up new content!

I will keep buying goldcoins.
-> Does buying goldcoins help?

Edited by dragoniser

Hey! What is the difference between donating and buying gold for the same amount?

We’re the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression.

Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives.

7 minutes ago, GOPO said:

Hey! What is the difference between donating and buying gold for the same amount?

Good question!

The difference is that if you donate through the Donations page, then you know for a fact that your donation is going back into HoN for a particular Donation Goal. In other words, we can say with 100% certainty that the money paid for a Donation goal goes back to HoN in some way (and not going to any person, company or entity otherwise).

• Thanks 1

Finally, I wanted to support the game for so long, I Really hope HoN can rise again 🙂

20 minutes ago, ElementUser said:

Good question!

The difference is that if you donate through the Donations page, then you know for a fact that your donation is going back into HoN for a particular Donation Goal. In other words, we can say with 100% certainty that the money paid for a Donation goal goes back to HoN in some way (and not going to any person, company or entity otherwise).

so you get the Gold, and get to choose that the money goes to?

Posted (edited)

Nice, i hope you accomplish some or all of these! chipped-in 😉 Can we support any of the 'inactive' above goals? (i can see 3 active ones in the url posted)

@cHarNe2 I don't think donating will award you any gold coins, as i understood it's either gold coins (in-game) or donation from the links above(not  binded to your account). I guess split and put in both? 😛 

Edited by turok14

Is there any reason to donate via these goals page? I mean how about you give GC just like in store? They cost nothing to you, just add some amount to the account. I bought GC pack to show my support. Why would someone donate w/o any ingame reward?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about to create Patreon so players can set up direct debit (something like twitch subscriptions), this should be a bit easier and more consistent way of getting donations

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scarabun said:

Is there any reason to donate via these goals page? I mean how about you give GC just like in store? They cost nothing to you, just add some amount to the account. I bought GC pack to show my support. Why would someone donate w/o any ingame reward?

I dont understand that either.
I would donate if i get some ingame rewards.

Otherwise am i buying the regular Gold coins.

Donations goes directly into the development of HoN without anything getting shared with companies like Garena (which is where the gold coin purchases probably goes to).

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shoy said:

How about to create Patreon so players can set up direct debit (something like twitch subscriptions), this should be a bit easier and more consistent way of getting donations

This should 100% be considered.  I would like to make monthly donations if possible and given that reason(many would like to make monthly donations) the hon developers would know how much money is going to be raised on a month to month basis via patreon.  For example: You can make certain reward tiers for the people who DO donate in this manner.  Also, what is the target goal being raised for server maintenance?  This is the main feature i will be donating toward in the future.

Edited by quick5ilver
  • Like 1

hey there, love what you bring up on the content table of HoN. make hon a better then ever and hope new stuff will be implemented to this fantastic moba!

also, i'm looking forward for this support donation reach its goal. Best of luck to you 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scarabun said:

my guess is that if you buy gold coins ingame, them that money goes to garena and they can spend that money anywhere (even not in HoN), where this donation thing looks kind of like "rebellion" against garena and donations will go directly to HoN development (the money will not go through garena)

Edited by Ceriss

Finally!

I've actually sent an e-mail to the support team regarding a HoN subscription system a few days ago. I plan to use the donation system on a regular basis from now.

Posted (edited)

I would love to donate , this game has more than paid for any money I put in it and I know its great and worth it. HOWEVER you guys dont accept my money because Im in Jordan. I havent been able to buy gold coins for years......makes no sense because HoN is the only game that does this.

I would love to buy gold coins and donate right now if I can , but you guys dont want my money , so Ill use it in other games and continue enjoying HoN without providing anything because thats what you guys want from me.

Edited by Tchado
  • Like 1

Nice efforts!
But i will probably still be buying gold coins(through paypal) rather than these donations. Would be cool if you could merge the two ways of contributing!

How did Garena react to this...basically splitting the revenue O.o

Is there a way for community to keep track how well you this is going?

Well, since I prefer doing things with iDeal and I don't have paypal, I wanted to make a donation instead through purchasing gold coins. But then I get a 'Your connection is not fully secure' message on that page so not sure what to do anymore then. 

My assumption as to why you aren't getting any rewards for your donations is: donations never have a reward.
That might sound like I'm being picky, but I would assume that you can donate money through paypal and they take way less of that money than if you use paypal for actually selling stuff. So if FB gave you Gold Coins and paypal would notice, they might just straight up take most of the money or sue FB.

Seriously, if you want a reward for your money, you're not donating. If you just wanna support HoN and keep it alive and make it better - then go ahead and donate money for that. Sounds like enough reward for me anyways.

9 hours ago, Tchado said:

I would love to donate , this game has more than paid for any money I put in it and I know its great and worth it. HOWEVER you guys dont accept my money because Im in Jordan. I havent been able to buy gold coins for years......makes no sense because HoN is the only game that does this.

I would love to buy gold coins and donate right now if I can , but you guys dont want my money , so Ill use it in other games and continue enjoying HoN without providing anything because thats what you guys want from me.

Since you wouldn't get a reward anyways, you might consider sending your money to someone you trust (who is allowed to donate and) who will donate the money for you. Nothing should be stopping you from doing that. I guess you could also choose a HoN-volunteer of your choice and might be lucky - I assume staff could be problematic, but you never know.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Manu311 said:

Since you wouldn't get a reward anyways, you might consider sending your money to someone you trust (who is allowed to donate and) who will donate the money for you. Nothing should be stopping you from doing that. I guess you could also choose a HoN-volunteer of your choice and might be lucky - I assume staff could be problematic, but you never know.

No man , I aint going through any of that. Every other game & platform on the planet has no problem taking my money so  I expect HoN to be the same. The message from S2 previously and now frostburn is very clear, they dont want my money, so I will oblige. Just because I live in the middle east doesn't mean im a security risk or a terrorist.

Edit: So I just checked , I can donate. I find it very hypocritical that I cant buy gold coins because they "arent available in my country" , but there is no problem accepting my paypal money. Sadly hilarious.

Edited by Tchado

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Tchado said:

Edit: So I just checked , I can donate. I find it very hypocritical that I cant buy gold coins because they "arent available in my country" , but there is no problem accepting my paypal money. Sadly hilarious.

If US-Law says "you can't sell anything to middle-east", then you can't buy anything from US-company if you're from middle-east. But if it doesn't say anything about donations (also: why would it?), well yeah.

It's everyone's own choice if they want to donate something and how far they are going to support a company or game. Just because a higher-up instance decides "we don't like you", that shouldn't result in you not liking a person that has to follow their orders - since those are orders and not following orders is usually pretty hard to do and has serious consequences. Businesses usually try to minimize risk. So the risk of being sued and going bankrupt is probably not worth a couple of dollars from middle-east. Anyways, you don't have to understand all the reasoning, but I'm sure that neither ElementUser, nor Smilie nor any of the other FB-members have any kind of grudge against any nation, religion or whatever group of people. They are just kinda forced to follow rules like everyone else - sometimes people forget about that when the only likely consequences they have to "fear" is "being banned from your HoN-account for a limited time"

By the way - check out TikTok: US says "TikTok as a Chinese company can't exist in the US" so they are kinda forced to sell their US-part to Microsoft or whoever. The difference is that TikTok might have the money to fight that - but you wouldn't want FB to invest millions of dollars into a lawsuit, would you?

Edited by Manu311

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Manu311 said:

If US-Law says "you can't sell anything to middle-east", then you can't buy anything from US-company if you're from middle-east. But if it doesn't say anything about donations (also: why would it?), well yeah.

It's everyone's own choice if they want to donate something and how far they are going to support a company or game. Just because a higher-up instance decides "we don't like you", that shouldn't result in you not liking a person that has to follow their orders - since those are orders and not following orders is usually pretty hard to do and has serious consequences. Businesses usually try to minimize risk. So the risk of being sued and going bankrupt is probably not worth a couple of dollars from middle-east. Anyways, you don't have to understand all the reasoning, but I'm sure that neither ElementUser, nor Smilie nor any of the other FB-members have any kind of grudge against any nation, religion or whatever group of people. They are just kinda forced to follow rules like everyone else - sometimes people forget about that when the only likely consequences they have to "fear" is "being banned from your HoN-account for a limited time"

By the way - check out TikTok: US says "TikTok as a Chinese company can't exist in the US" so they are kinda forced to sell their US-part to Microsoft or whoever. The difference is that TikTok might have the money to fight that - but you wouldn't want FB to invest millions of dollars into a lawsuit, would you?

No offense man but which US law says that exactly ? I have been making this argument for years and way too many people come here trying to defend this. I just purchased a keyboard from amazon and shipped it directly , also I have been buying blizzard games for years , hell my country just signed a trade agreement with USA !  where exactly is this law ? who is suing who exactly ????  where are these invisible rules that say I cant buy gold coins ???? When I was studying in USA and buying groceries , was Walmart breaking the law ? (note: I brought this up because even when I lived in USA , I still couldnt buy gold coins on my account....technically they are a US company and I am from the middle east) Can you see how all this makes no sense ??? and how funny it is that the same company that doesnt want paying customers is now looking for donations.

you seem like an intelligent person , so I hope you can actually find the laws or something logical , I have been making this argument on this forum for years yet all I get is trolls telling me "ReSpEcT tHe LaW" , all im asking for is some consistency , hell Ill accept a DM from an FB staff member explaining this, but until then I have anything that makes sense ,I no reason to believe that this gold coin restriction is anything more than what it is; Unless you are from Israel , your money is not welcomed. Fine , ill take it to other games and platforms.

The TikTok thing has no bearing on this situation, literally every single game in the world can sell here , even indie games, why cant FB ? They only logical conclusion is that Im not wanted as a customer.

Edit: I also agree that the staff and mods here are good people , they dont hate me for me. I aint making that claim , im criticizing company policy here. back to that point , lets assumes it true and they are only following the rules , why is FB the only studio who is following this made up rule that somehow not a single company worldwide has to follow ? and why should I accept any reasoning if I am not supposed to know why ?

Edit #2: A while back I won a gold coin twitter give away from the official HoN account on twitter , I cashed it and bought a skin. Was that breaking the law too ?

Edited by Tchado
  • Like 1