Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
WingDings`

A chance to bring the Brazilian community back

Hello, I am WingDings`, a player from The Brazilian Community that has dedicated a lot of time and effort trying to make the game better for our community.
Back in 2016/17, me and S1` took over The Translation Team that was very poorly managed and translated the whole game, every single item, hero, menu and even the EULA.
The players were really satisfied with our job, but it was not enough to bring other players back.
So, I wanted to ask Frostburn to trust on me again, I want to host a Brazilian Server so our players could have fun with a decent ping,  I have posted about this in some Brazilian HoN groups and many players showed a big interest in returning to the game.
The amount of people tagging their friends and being happy about this idea gave me an overwhelming feeling that this can work and this will be good for the game.
So, I wanted to ask some assist from Frostburn, so we can talk and discuss how can this work, I am willing to pay the Brazilian server fee by myself.
I am really interested in either Frostburn or HoN Garena opinion about this, thanks in advance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If you want it that badly and you actually can't wait, stay tuned for an announcement that may be related to your request in a few days.

I will tell you that quality dedicated game servers from Brazil/South America are expensive. An example from quick google searches for server hosting services: https://www.ariseserver.com/dedicated-server-brazil/

It's 550 USD+ per month for 16 cores, as an example. 1 instance of that server is more than enough to cover LAT region games though.

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 4

Actually i can wait =). 

By the way, I think 16 cores its too much.

I found this one https://www.locaweb.com.br/servidores-dedicados/ 

Its 70 USD/month for 4 cores. I dont really know how good it is or how many players it supports, my point its to know how many players will return, and based on that we can do something permanent.

But if something related is coming im totally fine with it.

22 hours ago, WingDings` said:

By the way, I think 16 cores its too much.

I have no idea how much performance a single HoN-match actually requires, but I would assume that you can't really run more than two games on one cpu, probably rather just a single one.

Eu voltei esses dias a jogar, tentei logar na minha que tinha sido enviada para axeso5 (algo assim / aquela merda), tinha vários cosméticos skins pagas, estava dando como conta invalida, mas recebia email de verificação e tudo, mandei ticket no suporte, disseram que não podem fazer nada, que as contas foram desativadas, fiquei triste pra caramba, tinha gastado muita grana.... infelizmente é por isso que o game não foi pra frente.. 

LOL.. that 4 core server is woefully under powered.   PS: I have a few servers in my garage (no joke).  They are 8 core XEON processors.  I don't mind donating them to get a few more servers up with better ping times.  

• Like 2

I know that a lot of companies working down there partner up with something else than payapal.  I'm not an expert but it could be worth checking into. 

In the past Internet Cafés were key but that has changed a lot in  recent years in Brazil. 

Shedding that's pretty nice of you. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, Shedding said:

LOL.. that 4 core server is woefully under powered.   PS: I have a few servers in my garage (no joke).  They are 8 core XEON processors.  I don't mind donating them to get a few more servers up with better ping times.  

Unfortunately, we can't do that for numerous reasons:

1) You would get the code for HoN servers, which is not allowed because the code is closed-source.

2) Your servers are literally in a garage like you said. The service isn't comparable to a data center where you could have hundreds of connections, not to mention they are vulnerable to attacks.

========

@WingDings` the announcement has been posted by the way: 

If you want servers, then we'll need to decide what server host to go with (in terms of quality, reputability & cost), as well as the donation goals for guaranteed uptime (we will probably do 1 or 2 months at a time). For the record, a cheap 70 USD per month server will not do it - we have tried before with an experimental AU server and the quality was trash.

But before we even get to that point, I'll need as many players from the BR community to post in this thread to indicate the relative level of interest before that even becomes a donation goal. We don't want to spread donation goals too thin to start.

Edited by ElementUser

I do like the idea due to this reason:  US servers for latinamerican are (130-160) ping, most of the games people complaining about speaking in Spanish, sometimes racism.

On the other hand, US severs are still playable.

If I would choose between and improvement for HoN(as war effort) or a BR server, probably War effort, only because US servers are still playable. 

i'm really excited about that, i'd love to play on Brazilian servers again, i think that would be nice if possible, to make some kind in-game message to players, for them to be able to know about that, because many latin players don't even join the chat channels, they just log in and start qeue. I know that because i used to do that in the past XD.

9 hours ago, ElementUser said:

Unfortunately, we can't do that for numerous reasons:

1) You would get the code for HoN servers, which is not allowed because the code is closed-source.

2) Your servers are literally in a garage like you said. The service isn't comparable to a data center where you could have hundreds of connections, not to mention they are vulnerable to attacks.

========

@WingDings` the announcement has been posted by the way: 

If you want servers, then we'll need to decide what server host to go with (in terms of quality, reputability & cost), as well as the donation goals for guaranteed uptime (we will probably do 1 or 2 months at a time). For the record, a cheap 70 USD per month server will not do it - we have tried before with an experimental AU server and the quality was trash.

But before we even get to that point, I'll need as many players from the BR community to post in this thread to indicate the relative level of interest before that even becomes a donation goal. We don't want to spread donation goals too thin to start.

Hello Elementuser,

The servers are stored in the garage.  They are not active.  These servers are very powerful and should be relatively sufficient for HON.   They should be in a dedicated data center (I've done this a few times), and I can set them there.  It can become expensive depending on how much bandwidth is needed and you are right, the code is closed sourced so I wouldn't be the one managing it.  However, if I knew that it would add life to HON, I have no trouble donating the servers to make this happen.

• Like 1

@Shedding I think there are some practical issues with the solution.

The main one is actually putting your servers to good use. Most server companies don’t want to use used hardware of unknown quality and expected lifespan - it’s risky, and could easily be more trouble/cost than it’s worth. If you could somehow find a small company that’s willling to take on the risk, and also determine that they can still provide reliable services, then it could be useful here. However, doing all this may be harder than simply finding other ways of coming up with 550 a month.

32 minutes ago, Hseih`SuWei said:

Shedding will donate servers worth thousands of dollars but won't buy a ward.. pff

I gotta pick my battles.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Why  u guys just dont play on USA servers, and u even have LAT region servers,  u will have like 100-140 ping its fine and playable. I have same ping on europe and dont have troubles with my gameplay

Edited by BeatFactor

Posted (edited)

The real solution to this HoN issue we are facing is us donating let's face it.

The problem though is there aren't skins to buy well new ones that is.

What needs to be done is allowing the community to create skins and let FB take all the profit if necessary.

I will however say that even when there was BR servers it mattered not because all of them still played on US servers anyways. Part of the reason for this is because many ISP in the 3rd world has such bad routing and international peering agreement that the packets would leave Brazil go to the US and then go back to Brazil when playing on a Brazil server.

The only thing to solve this international routing issue is Space X, once everybody is onboard with Starlink all of that issue will be fixed.

Save us Lord Elon Musk

Edited by `Tusk`
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with tusk, the truth is that most of us Latinos played on NA servers and even when I went to play on Latin servers my ping got worse compared to NA servers.

It seems to me that what would attract more to the Latino community are avatars and advertisers related to the Latino community or even events or the same forums in Spanish or Portuguese, that the Latino community has a little more prominence within HoN, but then everyone we know how complicated that is.

Edited by DragnSlyer