Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
BetaMurv

Direct Pathing Bug

Pretty sure this bug has been around for years, and not sure if it's ever been brought up in the past. Pretty sure there isn't a huge amount of players that actually use direct pathing; at least not many I know.  

Issue when using direct pathing that it can get 'toggled on' even after you stop using it. In order to use direct pathing you have to hold the button down, but once you release it the direct pathing can still be active when it shouldn't. I've found it's possible to press the button for direct pathing again until it toggles off in order to fix it... but the amount of times in game it inadvertently toggles on after using it can be REALLY frustrating. There's also no way of telling whether it's 'toggled' on or off, so you only really know when you find yourself stuck in something. 

I thought initially it could of been something only I was experiencing, but I've played on other friends computers and on their accounts and I've had the same issues. 

Would be a huge quality of life improvement to remove this!

I think this is related to the mic stuck on bug and could have to do with key ghosting? Is there a limit to the amount of inputs HON will receive/process? I could feasibly see if say you are using abilities and items while talking/direct pathing one of the commands will just stay activated?

Nobody ever brought up anything about this to me, ever, within the last few years as you said.

Moved to Indeterminate until you find a replication procedure

I've messed around with this a little bit in practice mode to suss it out.

The only thing I've managed to do so far in order to 'toggle' this direct pathing bug is by using Tablet of Command whilst direct pathing (e.g - over a cliff), this should then toggle it on. By using direct pathing again after it will remove its toggled on status. 

If you try it out in practice mode it should be pretty reliable to replicate. 

i can confirm this bug happening. But never remembered or got disturbed enough by it to mention in on the forums.When it happens, I just press again the direct pathing button once and its like it gets untoggled.

Is there a way to add an indicator or a status showing Direct pathing being on? Or maybe an option in the settings to turn on/off visual cue?

If I remember correctly, the default hotkey for Direct Pathing is LAlt, which is obviously also the hotkey that you use to interact with the inventory. This could be the reason your issue is occurring because I never had something like that happen with Direct Pathing remapped.

I CAN however tell you what other issue I'm personally experiencing that's related to LAlt: I use WASD to move the camera around, and if I happen to need to use one of the items while moving the camera, it gets stuck moving into the direction of that item key if LAlt is held down in the right sequence. Obnoxious. And it seems in both cases the culprit might be LAlt.

UPDATE TO THIS BUG:

This direct pathing bug seems to apply to all activate-able items in general. Just recently happened to me again in a game where i didn't have a tablet. All I had at the time was a soultrap, and I believe I used direct pathing towards a cliff in order to get in range to apply the soultrap to them. Playing around in practice mode again and it seems to toggle on whenever any item is activated whilst using direct pathing. 

Posted (edited)

So, replication method:
Step 1: Bind "Activate Inventory x" to [LAlt] + [Key]
Step 2: Bind "Direct Pathing" to [Key]
Step 3: Press [LAlt]
Step 4: With [LAlt] held down, press [Key]
Result: "Direct Pathing" will now remain active after letting go of the keys until [Key] is pressed again

Alternative issue:
Instead of "Direct Pathing", assign [Move Forward/Left/Back/Right] to [Key]
Follow steps 3 to 4 accordingly
Result: Camera will move in that direction until [Key] is pressed again

Should work with all six "Activate Inventory x" bindings, and likely the ward/tp quick slots.

//EDIT: Works with "Consumable x" hotkeys as well as skills if they are bound with LAlt as the modifier key.

Edited by Pantaloneze

Can this be moved to "Confirmed"? It takes 5 minutes to replicate the problem. It affects multiple features, and is pretty annoying for WASD camera, which is really the optimal way to play HoN.

I haven't had time to look at it, but I just did.

It's just the Alt key that's causing it for multiple different key functionalities & all you have to do is Hold Alt + press the appropriate keys that cause the functionality to unintentionally "toggle". You don't actually have to bind anything else to use [Alt + <KEY>] at all. Needed to verify the exact issue myself.

Thanks for the replication procedure, though I still can't give any kind of ETA due to our resources.

Edited by ElementUser
  • Thanks 1