Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
Sorais

How can I start this game not as an administrator?

It seems HoN always starts as an administrator when using Garena Messenger, which is nonsense. It is the only game that does so, and it is disconcerting. I've already gone through hoops to make sure Garena Messenger doesn't start on boot up (the program doesn't show up in the task manager and needs special software to disable). I'm getting some really bad impressions of Garena as a company, not just because of this but also because of the slow pace at which they handle bans and other urgent issues (see the other thread).

If it's not possible to not run HoN as an administrator I might uninstall and quit.

Posted (edited)

"The program doesn't show up in task manager" : hard to believe but might be possible, are you sure you checked carefully?

For the "run as admin" part: try to right click on the executable, go to properties, compatibility then remove the check on the "run this program as administrator" line

Edited by Mr`Cactus

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 6:45 PM, Mr`Cactus said:

"The program doesn't show up in task manager" : hard to believe but might be possible, are you sure you checked carefully?

For the "run as admin" part: try to right click on the executable, go to properties, compatibility then remove the check on the "run this program as administrator" line

HoN shows up as running as an administrator. Garena Messenger does not. I can start Garena Messenger without administrator privileges but HoN starts up with admin privileges anyway. Garena Messenger also takes extreme measures to get it not to start up. If you're curious, they are executing this on startup every time:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Garena\Garena\Garena.exe" -silentlaunch -gxxsvclaunch

Edited by Sorais