Common Troubleshooting Tips
Cannot Upgrade OSX client
The updater (executed as the same user which launches the game) needs to have write access to the install location.
The most common issue with updating the client comes from HoN for directly being run from the DMG file (Apple disk Image - mounted READ-ONLY ) instead of first being copied to your Applications directory. To correctly install the game, click and drag the Heroes of Newerth icon from the mounted DMG to your Applications directory and double click the icon located in the Application directory. You do not need to have the DMG mounted in order to play the game.
How To Launch The Map Editor
Follow these steps to launch the Heroes of Newerth map editor on a Mac:
- Locate the Heroes of Newerth.app (usually located in Macintosh HD/Applications).
- Right-click (control + click) the application and select "Show Package Contents".
- Double-click on the "HoNEditor" icon and the launcher will go through Terminal.app to launch Heroes of Newerth map editor.
Application Support Folder
In order to perform certain troubleshooting steps you may need to access the Heroes of Newerth Application Support directory. This directory is used to store all of your Console.log files as well as your user settings (such as your video settings). Follow these instructions to find the folder:
- Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) and earlier:
- Open a Finder window, and the directory will be located at: Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Heroes of Newerth
- Lion (OS X 10.7) and later:
- With Finder being the active application, press and hold down the Option keyboard key and navigate to the Go menu.
- With the option key held down you should see the Library folder as a menu option. Select that option and navigate to: Application Support/Heroes of Newerth
General Performance Tips
Display Frame Rate
To make sure that the problem you are experiencing is a client-end frame rate problem you need to enable the frames per second (fps) counter. When in Heroes of Newerth perform the following:
- Open the developer's console (by default the combination is control + fn + F8)
- On the command line interface that appears type the command "host_drawfps 1" (without quotation marks) and press Enter
- Close the developer console with the same keystroke (control + fn + f8).
After performing this command, a white frame per second number will appear in the upper-right corner of the screen. Use this number to determine if the performance problems is an issue with your computer's performance or if it is a network/server issue. If this number does not drop while you are experiencing the lag, this is a network/server problem and thus not related to the OS X application. Check your network bandwidth and close any network-based applications. Sometimes server lag is inevitable and will occur outside of your control.
Reduce Video Settings
If you are experiencing low frame rates, reduce the graphical quality of the game by turning down settings in the Video options. Lower the resolution, model/shadow/texture detail, use 0x AA and AF are all common recommendations to improve performance.
Laptop video cards in particular (320M, 9400M, Intel 3000) use system memory for their use and have performance issues when outputting to high resolution displays.
If your problem is only present and persists after an extended period of playing. This can point to a computer's video card overheating and causing unpredictable results.
Macs (especially laptops) have a high ventilation and cooling requirements when playing games. Make sure your computer is on a cool, conductive surface that can quickly disappate heat away from the laptop to prevent overheating.
Update OS X Version
Using the software update application (Apple Menu > Software Update), update your version of OS X to the latest free version. This is the best way to obtain the newest video drivers for your system's video card. If able, it can also improve performance if you upgrade your operating system to the latest major point release (OS X Lion as of this update).
Fully Uninstall And Reinstall
Follow the process below to correctly uninstall and reinstall Heroes of Newerth on OS X:
- Drag the Heroes of Newerth.app (usually at: Macintosh HD/Applications/Heroes of Newerth.app) to the trash.
- Drag the Heroes of Newerth Application Support folder to the Trash.
- Download a new copy of the client.
- Double-click the Heroes of Newerth.dmg from the Downloads folder (or where you downloaded it to).
- From the mounted disk image, drag the Heroes of Newerth.app to the Applications directory.
- Double-click the Heroes of Newerth.app located in the Application directory.
Visual Differences Between OS X vs. Windows
While Heroes of Newerth is available on both OS X and Windows operating systems, the game uses a different rendering API under each operating system. Windows uses a Direct3D renderer and the Linux/OS X version use an OpenGL renderer. Certain graphical effects do not display properly under OpenGL. This isn't a problem only with OS X as many of the problems are present on the Linux client as well as Windows client when using the OpenGL renderer (startup argument "-vid vid_gl2"). These issues have not been given high priority due to the non-gameplay related nature of these graphical glitches and the smaller userbase of the OpenGL renderer compared to Direct3D. Known OpenGL issues are:
- The loading bar and dynamic menu layer will flicker during the loading screen.
- Lower performance compared to the D3D render.
Search the Forums For Your Problem
If after following these steps you are not able to resolve your problem, navigate to the Mac & Linux Technical Support Forum. Search for a thread and see if your problem has already been solved or reported by another user. Many problems have already been reported and likewise been solved by the reporters and support volunteers.
Create a New Thread
If you are unable to locate a thread with your problem, create a new thread and include a detailed description of the problem, a URL link to your console.log. See below for instructions on how to correctly obtain the information needed. If this information is not included in the support ticket, resolution of your problem will be delayed until the required information is provided.
Upload the Console.log
NOTE: Your Console.log is overwritten every time you launch the game. Therefore, it is important that you immediately upload the log after a crash or bug was encountered in order for your log to be useful. An accurate console.log is critical for diagnosing your problem!
- In Finder navigate to the Heroes of Newerth Application Support folder.
- Right-click (or control + click) on the "console.log" file and select "Compress 'console.log'" to create a console.log.zip file.
- Open a web browser to the console.log uploader.
- Fill in the required information (User Name/Password).
- Click on the "Browse" button and navigate to the console.log.zip file that was created in step 2.
- Click the "Upload File" button and it will bring you to a new webpage provides a series of links.
- Copy the "You can view the file using this link:" URL and paste this link into the technical support forum post.