This page is about the three different game variants: Normal, Casual Mode, and Hardcore. For the different picking modes, see Game Modes
There are currently three game types in HoN, that differs from each other by regulating when players receive and lose gold. They are described into further detail below.
In normal mode, all players receive a constant stream of 1 gold every 0.875 seconds, that amounts to approximately 68.5 GPM. Upon dying, you lose gold equal to 30 times your own level. For more information about calculating gold gain/loss in normal, see Gold. Denying a creep will result in less XP for any hero in range.
With casual mode enabled, you will still receive the same constant stream of gold as in normal, but in addition, the following changes apply:
- Exp range from 1000 to 1300
- Removed gold loss on death
- Increased hero bounty
- Hero base gold bounty: from 200 to 300
- Hero gold bounty per level: from 5 to 10
- First blood bonus: from 200 to 300
- Gold bounty per streak: from 50 to 75
- Hero assist gold totals 50% of kill amount, split between all assisters
- Radius assist gold base: from 30 to 0
- Radius assist gold per level: from 5 to 0
- Respawn time per level from 4 seconds to 3 seconds
- Denies no longer deny experience
- Uphill miss chance removed
- Creeps give 1.25x of average normal mode value, no gold fluctuation
- Buildings give 1.5x of average normal mode value, no gold fluctuation
- Towers give global experience when killed, even to dead people, (by tower level): 150,200,250,300
- Tower last hit gold bounty: from 470,520,570,620 to 300,350,400,450
- Tower Team gold bounty: from 200,240,280,320 to 300,350,400,450
- The amount of experience required to reach the next level increases as the game goes on. This means that at the beginning, players level up a lot faster than in Normal Mode, but in the mid and late game they level up at about the same rate as in Normal Mode.
- Buyback costs are at 1.75x normal mode values
- Towers' armor scales with number of players alive; Buildings have 100% of armor when all are alive, scaling to 0 armor when your entire team is dead.
- No passive income
- Denying a creep will deny all experience from that creep.