Thread: Engineer - the Utilitist

Engineer - the Utilitist

The way I play I enjoy a lot. It's a tank-support build. The general idea is to fill any gaps in a team. I was replying to the identity crisis thread and I figured the post would be long enough to make a guide.

It's fairly different to the other ways I've seen Engi played and none of the guides I've found give the same instructions. Feedback is always welcome.

The skill build goes:
    Level 1: Turret 1
    Level 2: Keg 1
    Level 3: Tinker 1
    Level 4: Tinker 2
    Level 5: Tinker 3
    Level 6: Ult
    Level 7: Tinker 4

After that, Stats/Keg depending on how much mana is going around.

Turret serves as a free rune/forest gap ward. Always placed on the hill which will give it LOS to either the rune or the ramp into your team's forest. Put it on hold or run it out of mana to prevent it shooting and giving itself away.

More points go into Turret only later once the DPS is actually worth feeding the enemy ~70 gold and destroying your "free ward". Probably around level 16/17 if making the late DPS items, otherwise never putting another point into it until Stats is full.

The reasons behind maxing Tinker instead of putting points into Keg are:
    - Keg becomes very expensive fast if you level it too quickly. Engi will suffer early mana problems with Kegs costing too much.
    - Level 1 Keg + Level 4 Tinker = Kegs costing 58 mana. Because neither the range nor the knockback distance scale with the level, it's an excellent skill when it's kept so cheap.
    - Tinker is a superior skill overall. Level 4 Tinker early in the game is awesome for pushing enemy towers and for totally derailing early enemy pushes. As Engi I've single-handedly prevented an early 4v1 push while our team pushes 2 lanes by dropping my Ult, tinkering our tower and running away.

Early items:
    - Bottle if mid. If I'm mid also 1 point in Turret gives me a free ward.
    - Bracer for early HP and to compensate for the lack of Steamboots
    - Phase Boots for max. speed/gold and extra damage
    - Tablet of Command for fun - it's extremely versatile - getaways, chasing for me and my allies. Forcing an enemy hero out of position. Mainly with Engi though is skipping people through the walls of my ulti.
    - Then a HotBL, to prevent me being instagibbed when I initiate with my ult, and so I can totally rape towers solo. Level 4 Tinker + Helm = towers tickle.

Then it depends entirely on who's in the game, he can fill any role he wants late game:
    - Pkey to combine with any of our team's AOE initiations [slap it around Tempest/Behe/SS whatever to prevent escapee] if we need stronger initiations.
    - Shroud if they have no Pest/Arach types AND we don't have any invis heroes already, for even better getaways and initiations, and for the attack bonuses later on if I need to help late DPS.
    - Barrier Idol to counter something like or
    - Astrolabe if we lack healers
    - Puzzlebox if they have invis [this works very nicely in the ult]
    - Riftshards/Shieldbreaker if we lack late game DPS

I might update this with more protips. Right now I'm tired.

I was following it until you said bottle if mid. The rest of it is interesting stuff though. I played engineer for the first time a few days ago and i sucked hard, he's more difficult than i thought, but i'd like to try again with this build.

For qualities sake : Never bottle as your first item at mid. Bring it to you with a courier after your first 600 gold. Stats first.

Account Icon
    I guess i'll try this out,but somehow straight forward charged hammer/mace seems more pleasuring and rewarding...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Ring of Sorcery is a great item which lets you keg infinitely as well as being a good team item.

Your turret gets the +300 mana which is about 2000% of what it has by default.
    I have returned

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlar View Post
    For qualities sake : Never bottle as your first item at mid. Bring it to you with a courier after your first 600 gold. Stats first.
    I prefer the reverse. Depending on farm and whether your team buy a courier, you might not get the bottle until after the 2min mark, by which point you've missed a rune.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDodger1 View Post
    Ring of Sorcery is a great item which lets you keg infinitely as well as being a good team item.

Your turret gets the +300 mana which is about 2000% of what it has by default.
    No, i think the turret has a static HP and Mana... Mana boosting items dont carry over turret IIRC.

Edit: wow just tested it in practice mode, and that is rediculous. Although it may be a glitch, I'm not sure, but that kinda lets the turret attack forever lol.
    Last edited by ShredderIV; 03-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izual View Post
    I don't have a problem with you making this post, or with your opinion. But I do have a problem with you ASKING FOR FEEDBACK AND THEN GETTING ALL DEFENSIVE TACO ON EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU.
    LOL

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredderIV View Post
    No, i think the turret has a static HP and Mana... Mana boosting items dont carry over turret IIRC.

Edit: wow just tested it in practice mode, and that is rediculous. Although it may be a glitch, I'm not sure, but that kinda lets the turret attack forever lol.
    tested in practice, +mana does increase turrets mana, though you cant use the ring to replenish its mana.

Like the turret only get damage from +dmg items, not from +agi items, i will get mana from +mana items not from +int items. But if u think about it there are few items that offer +mana, frostwolf , and some other support items...But If u want to do some serious DPS u would usually go for +dmg items, since ur turret will usually spit 2,3 bursts in a battle, so having "infinite" shots is not really that important. But if u want ur turret to defend lanes, +300 mana is really worth, If u going to be more like a supporter than a damage dealer.
    I?ve tried couples build, and the one that was the most effective (for me) was like u said, lvl 1 keg and turret/tinker maxed asap. This will make ur turret do decent damage, and often time in pubs ppl try to go after u first than hit and destroy ur turret. 2 sources of dmg(engi+turret) early/mid can do serious damage.
    What works for me usually is to use my turret to farm early. When hellbourne I drop the turret just by side where creeps? waves reach each other. I keep putting it to sleep everytime runs out of mana. Well this works for me, since the turret does not have a lifetime.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    A ring of sorcery is incredibly retarded to get on engi..

Might as well just get a glowstone and leave it at that.

Account Icon
    I wouldn't get Phase Boots on Engineer either. Steamboots cover just about all aspects of his play, and since you're wanting to "fill gaps" they are your best option when switching between initiator to carry to support.