Thread: [Suggestion] Simple, yet major, stats feature rework.

Account Icon

[Suggestion] Simple, yet major, stats feature rework.

HoN is a team game, and most fun when the team works together. There will always be individuals who are only interested in doing their own thing, but the current stats system actually encourages this.

Now, new and never before in DotA, there is a stats system that compiles cumulative stats as you play games. Using the current model, if you get 21 kills and die 3 times, those numbers are then added to your lifetime kills and deaths and forever impact your record. So now, not only to feel good about yourself without anyone knowing, people can see your cumulative lifetime stats absolutely out of context and not know how you came to get them.

This encourages what many are referring to as the Care Factor. Where person plays for stats. This leads to the abuse of certain heroes with skills that enable them to easily deal killing blows to heroes that are going to die anyways. To name three Scout, Thunderbringer, and Night Hound. I don't know how many games I've played where those heroes do NOTHING but creep, jungle, and KS other people's kills. When I say KS I mean the hero would certainly die without their help, they timed a nuke to deal the killing blow, and the killing blow was the only damage or ability they contributed to the kill.

Why do we care? It gets old having people like this in almost every game. It makes it harder on the team and it doesn't encourage the player to become any better at anything other than farming and KSing.

My solution? There are two major rating systems at the moment. One involves stats and the other a rating system. I say segregate them and make them mutually exclusive.

Public games: Use the public rating system and don't record stats. This would work great, you only get more points when your team wins! The only way to improve your rating is then to focus on winning, which doesn't have anything to do with KSing, but everything to do with the way the game is intended to be played.

A game called Natural Selection was a teambased FPS and it didn't show kills or deaths in the stats screen. After a few years they introduced kills and deaths into the stats screen and the community died. People stopped playing because it was no longer about teamwork and winning the match, but all about seeing how high one could make their stats.

Private games: If the game is private, then record scrim stats as stats are currently recorded for all games. A scrim is already about teamwork and winning, so stats should have a negligible impact on the game play.

Stats are great, they give a player something quantifiable that they are working on and reflects their skill. Stats give a player bragging rights, prestige, or whatever. But whats the point of having stats if the gameplay sucks.

I say gameplay first and stats somewhere after that.

Post your thoughts, solutions, etc. And I dare you to flame and show me how you are to lazy to think of something worth reading.

When reading up on HoN, I was pretty happy to see that stats were being included. I liked the idea. (I'm a pretty bad statwhore in FPS). Thought it gives me a bit of bragging among my mates.

90% of the time I play with friends and never killsteal (some of my mates do it to me to piss me off but whatever ). However, so many times I die to a Scout stealing a kill of someone who's spent ages chasing/killing me. I'm going to die either way, right? But every Scout player just seems intent on stealing kills.

If me and 3 friends are on and we need a 5th random player to fill, we'll try find someone with a 1.0+ ratio (what else is there to go on?). So many times we've found someone with a ratio around the 1.7 mark and thought ok we've got someone who knows what they're doing here, and they just pick Scout, don't ward. Killsteal. Contribute NOTHING. Annoy us far more than the other team. Leave the game with 10-3. Epeen.

Remove stats from the game.

Now that we have PSRs, I think making some stats private might be a good move. If the emphasis is taken off kills and placed more on assists and wins I think the atmosphere of the game will improve.

Let stats be visible to the individual, so we can all keep track of our progress and compare with our friends, but hide the majority of stats from public view. IMO the most useful stats to keep public would be:

1 - Number of games played
    2 - Win/Loss Ratio
    3 - Number of disconnects
    4 - Number of times kicked
    5 - Assist/Death Ratio

This would take the emphasis off farming kills, and make team play and winning games the benchmark for succesful players.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ubachung View Post
    Now that we have PSRs, I think making some stats private might be a good move. If the emphasis is taken off kills and placed more on assists and wins I think the atmosphere of the game will improve.

Let stats be visible to the individual, so we can all keep track of our progress and compare with our friends, but hide the majority of stats from public view. IMO the most useful stats to keep public would be:

2 - Win/Loss Ratio
    5 - Assist/Death Ratio

This would take the emphasis off farming kills, and make team play and winning games the benchmark for succesful players.
    I would add Average Creep kills per 30 minutes of game play. Which would make Creep kills a more usable stat. Currently, I have to manually divide someone's average creep kills by their average game time in my head, which is fine but meh.

Account Icon
    Agree with this.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ubachung View Post

2 - Win/Loss Ratio
    5 - Assist/Death Ratio

I wanted to say the same while reading the first post , but i just quoted it .. Same toughts ....

Now, ive been playing few games where Stats more matter than the win , in a teamplay game , Combat Arms for example , then Americas Army for few years .. Yes it is a shooting games where you collect kills and death , but which games isnt about kills and deaths and being powerfull to eliminate as much as you can to contribute to your self as a decent and desirable player to the rest , your friends and ppl in general you're going to play with .. and yes i played Guild Wars PVP for 2 years .. Where there is alot about Stats and rankings , as in Guild VS Guils games and Personal ranking for better party grouping , But the system was simple , each rank would give an emote , for example rank 3 gives an golden deer emote, rank 6 gives an gold wolf emote, rank 9 gold tiger emote and so on and so on .. All of these were recorded stats (Fame Gain) more you gave more respect you get , but those were for the better team up parties in PvP .. while in this HoN system , there is never going to be a High Kills team up ... Ppl already now team upo upon PSR, so point is , why would we have kills to build to , it is meaning less yes, but 70 % of player do play cause of kills to brag about it , along stealing comes also better other stats .. If you get my point , so it would be best to keep some of the stats personal and meaningless to the playing community what should could are the points , PSR in a way , AND Disconnection Ratio , as for now .. Cause the system is , more DC you got less games you're gonna play , so its obvious someone is going to join a game pick lets say scout , and just be invi 24/7 till he gets a kill to KS .. why would he leave ? no ... But if he joins with only DC ratio (just an example of the DC ratio to be only stat) would he care so much to KS which brings him not much , OR actually care to win and earn more PSR to be respectable player in games ... SO PLEASE YES ... SO MUCH STATS WILL RUIN THE GAME ... like it isnt already... everyone knows the guys with low stats and high , how divided player are cause of it ... noobs get rarely a good chance to get better just by playing noobs and , pro's will stay pro's to play their games ... good for them .

Sorry for bad english

Account Icon
    Actually, the majority of my games I don't have a problem with ksing. People actually do a lot of teamwork and teamplay. I don't get why people exaggerate so much on the forums. I've played over 200 games and I seriously don't see the problem with ksing/stats whoring. The few times could be people picking scout then rage quitting after giving first blood, or thunderbringer using all he got to get the kill, but thats it. Nothing game breaking or anything that will piss me off.