Thread: Fat-Fingering the Minimap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

Fat-Fingering the Minimap

Now that we have a dedicated board for interface discussion, let's try and wrap our head around the problem of the current implementation of the minimap.

I'm sure we've all misclicked the minimap while fleeing and wound up going straight to our deaths, so how do we make this less of an issue besides learning to play.

Well, in the numerous threads I've seen on this topic, the best solution I've seen was to have an optional keybinding for minimap movement bound to something like ctrl + click. It's a simple and unobtrusive solution.

Do you support this, or have your own suggestions? Let's hear 'em.
    Last edited by Kry; 08-06-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Account Icon
    Move the minimap to the right side of the UI or create the option to do so.

Account Icon
    But then when you're running down the river to the lower right you'll still fat finger it.

shrink it a little bit

Account Icon
    shrink it? terrible idea. its already cutting it close to size with all it has to display.

Account Icon
    It is perfect. Why don't just click a bit in front of you or in the healingwell of yourbase on the minimap?

I do wonder why so many people has problems while I have barely found 3 or 4 bugs / stupid things.

Having to double rightclick the minimap to move on it would help, but Pharaoh and others would still have the left click utility with it.

Account Icon
    Make an option to disable it *from being clicked on, but hero *'s are still seen*, all the while being able to be clicked on for a ping.

Click ^ for my signature thread.

Account Icon
    Or you can make an option in the Options menu:

[] Check this box to require holding down "X" key in order to move by the minimap.

Otherwise it stays the same it is now.

try binding wads as your camera movements. i do, and i have never had the problem of fat fingering. Lol, fat fingering, fat chicks, lols.

How do they work?

Account Icon
    Your problem is similar to another topic posted in the sense that the system works and is decent enough, but you want to change it.

I myself have hit the minimap and turned around to die instead of running to the fountain, but in all honesty, that's where you separate the good players from the rest. Little things like clicking to go where you want to go should be practiced to make perfect; they shouldn't be made perfect for you.

The best solution is no change. The minimap's size is reasonable enough and if you can't avoid clicking it, then your solution would be to practice.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by fmlftw View Post
    Your problem is similar to another topic posted in the sense that the system works and is decent enough, but you want to change it.

I myself have hit the minimap and turned around to die instead of running to the fountain, but in all honesty, that's where you separate the good players from the rest. Little things like clicking to go where you want to go should be practiced to make perfect; they shouldn't be made perfect for you.

The best solution is no change. The minimap's size is reasonable enough and if you can't avoid clicking it, then your solution would be to practice.
    This

Account Icon
    They should apply a linear gradient fade to the mini-map so in order to put the mini-map into focus, you have to point your cursor to the lower part of the mini-map in order to get it to full view.

In sticky situations when you have to run back to the fountain, you will either be clicking on the lower-left of your screen or on the lower-left on the mini-map.

But I don't know how this will work out for the Scourges though.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

Reading comprehension. The OP asked for solutions to this besides "l2p noob."

I suggest reducing the border around the mini-map or having a keybind that automatically makes your hero move to the fountain, a retreat key of sorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Ok.

We'll remove logger's hatchet.
    The Hero-Tracking Changelog! My Strategy Article.
    Matches I'm proud of: Match 24216943 Match 22979926 Match 28587142 Match 7776189

Account Icon

Thanks for your idiocy.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Kry View Post
    Thanks for your idiocy.
    You put forth your opinion when you started this topic. I am merely stating mine.

What I wrote wasn't a long "l2p noob."
    It was a sincere effort in showing you that changing something for everyone might not be the best solution, especially when what you're changing isn't really in need of a change.

When the developers change something like that, they change it for every one given that they do not include a multi-choice option. When something "global" like that is changed, a lot of people other than you are affected and probably not in the same way you are.

So if you can solve the problem yourself, why change the game for it.

//edit: p.s. I demonstrated no idiocy while you yourself have quite demonstrated the extent of your maturity. What happens when people make suggestions? Other people disagree. Learn and move on.

Account Icon
    You put forth your opinion when you started this topic. I am merely stating mine.

What I wrote wasn't a long "l2p noob."
    It was a sincere effort in showing you that changing something for everyone might not be the best solution, especially when what you're changing isn't really in need of a change.

When the developers change something like that, they change it for every one given that they do not include a multi-choice option. When something "global" like that is changed, a lot of people other than you are affected and probably not in the same way you are.

So if you can solve the problem yourself, why change the game for it.

//edit: p.s. I demonstrated no idiocy while you yourself have quite demonstrated the extent of your maturity. What happens when people make suggestions? Other people disagree. Learn and move on.
    Too bad that in your original, condescending post you neglected to read the part where I suggested that whatever's implemented is simple and unobtrusive, as well as optional. When you reread that, you'll realize why everything you've written in this thread is invalid. Now, GTFO. Don't make me embarrass you a third time in this thread.

Account Icon
    As I said in another thread, they should mimic the Warcraft III mini-map placement. I never had problems with fat-fingering the mini-map in DotA.

Heroes of Newerth interface

Warcraft III

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Kry View Post
    Too bad that in your original, condescending post you neglected to read the part where I suggested that whatever's implemented is simple and unobtrusive, as well as optional. When you reread that, you'll realize why everything you've written in this thread is invalid. Now, GTFO. Don't make me embarrass you a third time in this thread.
    Wow kid, grow up. How about you try to re-read MY post and tell me that I'm condescending again? Especially when I openly admitted that I have come across the same thing you have, thus making it clear that I was not being condescending.

Also, to be honest, your suggestion wasn't a very complete one. If you would have included pictures like the person who posted before me, your suggestion would have been far stronger and perhaps I wouldn't have responded as I have.

As it stands, you're starting to make me think you throw a tantrum every time someone opposes you.

Account Icon
    Looking at my previous post and comparing it to the W3 interface, S2 has three options to change the mini-map.

1. Up the entire HUD, so it'll be near the same height as the mini-map. However it takes up valuable screen estate.

2. Shrink the mini-map, but the mini-map is going to be so tiny and you'll have lots of extra space on the sides.

3. Put the mini-map on the right side of the interface.

Personally, I think option 3 is the best route to go.