Thread: using items when leaving your pool!

Account Icon

using items when leaving your pool!

Specifically this thread looks at using items in your inventory as you're leaving your pool to join the battle.

Basically what I'm getting at is that there is a delay in being able to use items. What I have noticed happen to me often is that for example, I'll be shopping, I'll finish off an item such as ghost boots or something, and I'll be leaving the pool to go fight, etc. So in my effort to leave quickly, I'll hit the key associated with using the slot my item is in, hypothetically we'll say "x" is my use key for my second item slot, which is where my boots are.

So I finished my boots, I close my shop window, and I'm spamming the use button for my boots so I can run quickly, and obviously have less down time. But what happens is that I'm already leaving the pool, and I've been spamming the key for boots, but it takes 2 extra seconds before the game acknowledges that I'm hitting the button for boots.

Essentially there doesn't make much difference by being delayed in total maybe only .7 seconds by not having the speed boost soon enough, but the principle behind it is that I should not be delayed in item usage in this scenario.

some likely questions about this are, was i sure that the shop window was closed, and was the item on cooldown. Yes the shop window was closed, and no the item was not on cooldown. This type of thing has happened several times.

So i wonder what exactly is causing this problem. And have other people experienced the same issue?

edit: Would this be server side? user side? is this based on delay between server and user, i.e. lag? I have noticed this happen to me in games where i have no other issues of delay of any kind, which is why I think the problem lays with the game itself
    Last edited by GO_PACKERS; 03-01-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Account Icon
    because it's been a while, i'm gonna assume a couple things here.

nobody who has read this has noticed the same problem (probably they weren't looking for it either though)

nobody seems to care about being delayed in being able to use items when leaving the fountain.

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    I don't notice any delay - I just tried in Practice Mode.

FYI I even tried using 0.1x speed to see if there's a delay that's greater than 5 seconds (5 seconds in 0.1x speed is the same as 0.5s in 1x speed game). No noticeable delay, really.
    Last edited by ElementUser; 03-01-2010 at 02:43 PM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Account Icon
    i'm telling you like mulder told scully, the truth is out there. there is a delay!

it doesn't happen every time, but i have noticed it after a respawn, for example. but as i said, the difference is almost negligible... so I'm sure that if S2 were to acknowledge an issue with it, it is hardly on the list of priorities.

Account Icon
    Can you recreate the issue in Practice mode or is it simply something you've experienced in actual games?

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Now that you mention it, the servers are pretty laggy these days, so it might just be that. Or it's your connection

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Account Icon
    I'll go try to recreate the issue in practice games, although I'm not sure how it will turn out. Up to now it is something that I have only had happen during actual gameplay. And I doubt that it's my connection, but I suppose it's possible.

edit: could not get it to happen in practice mode, so i'm thinking the problem could be lag?
    edit: I can't say for certain that it's happened strictly recently, i.e. laggy server era, so I will not attribute it to that.
    Last edited by GO_PACKERS; 03-01-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Account Icon
    If you cannot recreate the issue in practice mode then it's obviously a server/delay-related issue. You also mention it happens on and off which leads me to further believe it's to do with the servers. This has turned into more of a technical support issue than anything else :P