Toggle Snow

Thread: Game suggestion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

Game suggestion

So I'm stuck with a piss poor laptop in a strange land where my free time hardly ever coincides with any of my friends. I want advice for a game, single player preferred.

However, there are some conditions.

1. It should be on Steam. That's the most convenient way for me to get stuff.

2. Should be sorta cheap. Thinking <20 dollars.

3. Can run on my crappy laptop, (ATi x1200 onboard graphics is the real bottleneck I have.) which should coincide with the budget price pretty well.

I tend to like RPGs, RTSs, FPSs... anything. Something that's time consuming or has high replay value would be best.

Any advice would be great.

Arh, i have no clue what you can get via steam. I shall look for a list of steam games.

Well i found that they have Medieval II: Total War, thats pretty decent with a high replay value. And way time consuming. Its turn-based though, so its not really what you asked for, ill look more.

And they call Colonization Civ 4.. Bit weird since i played Colonization before Civ 3 was released..

Heroes V for 10 euros? Still turn-based tho. Huge time-sink at least, so big that it dont need any replay value.

Fallout Collection is at 20 euros, and so is Jagged Alliance 2 Gold. Not huge replay value in either of them, but tons of gaming hours. I liked JA1 better than JA2, but JA2 was still really good, and i guess Gold must mean its bettor! And fallout is the best post-apoc series out there, but that doesnt really say much, i know.

Theres always X-COM: TFTD, but its also turn-based.

Holy cow, Morrowind GOTY for 20 euros, i'd get that one if i were you (and hadnt played it yet, obviously). GOTY means it comes with the awesome expansions Tribunal and that wolf one. 20 euros is just pushing it imo.

Fallout 1 and 2 is both 10 euros and would easily run on your machine, great games, but very old.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is also an awesome game, a very immersive FPS/RPG sorta thing with lotsa cool ideas. But its also above your price at 20 euros.

STALKER: Clear Sky is at 10 euros, but i havent tried it personally, i have heard very good things about it, however.

Overlord is at 6 euros, and a very creative game.

Half-Life: Blue Shift is at 5 euros, always wanted to try that one. Premise is brilliant, but i doubt they can make it work. AFAIK its about the random security guys working at Black Mesa when disaster struck.

Deus Ex GOTY is at 10 euros. Something to ponder.

Indigo Prophecy (i hate that name) is at 9 euros and is a rather innovative game with a nice amount of replay value, unless im mistaken it for another game. I think you can replay the game from another characters perspective, which is a really cool feature that adds upon itself. According to its makers its not a "game" but "the first interactive movie in the world".

Kingpin at less than 10 euros, pretty cool game, to some extent.

Lol theres a CSI game. No comment.

For some silly reason Blood or Blood 2 isnt on their list, they should be ashamed. Most epic singleplayer FPS ever, and was even good in co-op. Yes, i went as Caleb for one "halloween" (which isnt halloween in my country, but its still a holiday we dress up at, if we are kids).

Anyhow, theres a nice semi-rant for you to read and maybe be inspired by, if you told me which titles in the various genres that you enjoyed the most, i could most likely give better suggestions. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want, with that info, or just post here in this thread (it just seems that thread is dying, which is partially why i gave a long serious reply, since im a thread doctor).
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...3&postcount=12
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Account Icon
    theres a games under 10bucks tab u know. and plants vs zombies = best pick up and go game EVER EVER EVER

Account Icon
    If you enjoy a good grindfest, Torchlight.

Braid if you like to sit there scratching your head for 10 minutes before thinking of a new strategy.

Or they have Psychonauts for $2 today. It's supposed to be one of the best platformers of all time.

I'm buying it tonight when I get off work.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

TreeHorse is not an employee of S2 Games. Be warned: He will rage at you.

Account Icon
    2 bucks? im gettin that. always worth it to get a game for the price of 2 cans of soda

Quote Originally Posted by LolMaliken View Post
    theres a games under 10bucks tab u know.
    Yeah, everything after Overlord was found via that tab.

I still think steam has inflated prices, them capitalistic pigdog infidels.

THREAD LIVES! YES!

Account Icon
    meh, tbh everything i see on steam is cheaper than what i would get in town. but i dont shop around so im just sayin that to seem like i know what im sayin. and i love that i can sign in and dl random games on peoples computers.

fri-mon sales are the **** though. and over christmas? got some bundles like the id bundle (every id game made) for 60 bucks. it was like 30 games, GOT MY DOOM ON

Account Icon
    The christmas sale was RIDICULOUS.

I got CS:S for like 5 bucks. Braid for $2.50 or something like that.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

TreeHorse is not an employee of S2 Games. Be warned: He will rage at you.

Account Icon
    i love holidays with steam. i love steam and i love valve but i HATE VALVE TIME WITH A BURNING PASSION

Titan Quest, Diablo...
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Thrill View Post
    I get paid salary to cast HoN, and its way more than any "pro" player is currently making.
    If you actually are reading this, your a paranoid bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmRoot View Post
    Chipper
    - Fixed Rocket Barrage so you gain a taco when you level it from 2 to 3. Everyone should gain tacos. They're lovely.
    - Everybody loves TACOs
    Quote Originally Posted by WaRDeN View Post
    meh league of legends is where legends go to die

i love holidays with steam. i love steam and i love valve but i HATE VALVE TIME WITH A BURNING PASSION
    I hate Valve cuz they hired IceFrog for some buisness damn VALVE,
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Thrill View Post
    I get paid salary to cast HoN, and its way more than any "pro" player is currently making.
    If you actually are reading this, your a paranoid bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmRoot View Post
    Chipper
    - Fixed Rocket Barrage so you gain a taco when you level it from 2 to 3. Everyone should gain tacos. They're lovely.
    - Everybody loves TACOs
    Quote Originally Posted by WaRDeN View Post
    meh league of legends is where legends go to die

Account Icon
    ive been waiting for BM:S for sOOO long and EP:3 for SOOO LONGGGGG god damnit L4D2 was a giant waste of time imo (granted it was fun for a month to bash faces in with frying pans) and TF2 is more of less a dead game or dieing with its last breaths because they're making an FPS into an RPGFPS and its super boring

Account Icon
    Played every game suggested so far

Maybe this will work better if I ask about some particular games I was wondering about...

Jade Empire, the only Bioware game I've never played. How's that?
    Freedom Force. I have very vague memories of playing this game at a friends house eons ago. It's made by Irrational, which is fine by me, and you get the game and it's sequel for 7.50. Anyone played it to know if it's ok?

Also, yes, everyone should buy Psychonauts. I bought it on the PS2 and then bought it again when it was 5 bucks one weekend on Steam when I was at Uni. It's brilliant.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHorse View Post
    The christmas sale was RIDICULOUS.

I got CS:S for like 5 bucks. Braid for $2.50 or something like that.

Yeah, I got every PoP game for a total of 20 bucks

Such an amazing deal, steam sales are always amazing.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfle View Post

Theres always X-COM: TFTD, but its also turn-based.

holy crap, people actually pay for the Xcom games?!?! I mean... I knew some systems like Steam and Impulse sell it for like $10... but I mean come on, the game is like 20 years old. Not to mention you can find that game for free on virtually any Abandonware website

But if you haven't played Xcom yet... go and get it right this instant, it will change your life and perspective on video games!

Quote Originally Posted by Zulukas View Post
    holy crap, people actually pay for the Xcom games?!?! I mean... I knew some systems like Steam and Impulse sell it for like $10... but I mean come on, the game is like 20 years old. Not to mention you can find that game for free on virtually any Abandonware website

But if you haven't played Xcom yet... go and get it right this instant, it will change your life and perspective on video games!
    Only the two first ones were any good. Enemy Unknown and TFTD.

Raged hard when I heard about X-Com: Interceptor. Going from turn-based strategy to a flight simulator? FU assmegas.

But what truly opened my eyes about how great those two games were, was when i bought TFTD and went through the various documents included, because my sister was using the computer at the time.

And i found out how much effort went into that log/diary thing that was written by a soldier-turned-general of the former war.

That was the best thing i had ever seen in a game box that wasnt the game itself. Ever. Still is.

How he studied their grenades and revised his troop placement, how he experienced the dying screams of a grey, how his mates had died terrible deaths, and especially his rant about the aftermath of it all.

They really cared about that game, tried to make it as close to art as possible. I respected that.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    idk if you could get it on steam.

and they are really old games

DUNE 2 OR DUNGEON KEEPER

Account Icon
    Ur-Quan Masters. It's amazing. Trust me. And free.

Intro Sequence? (I dont know what to post, not much material up...)
    Download.

Account Icon
    theres a games under 10bucks tab u know. and plants vs zombies = best pick up and go game EVER EVER EVER
    plants vs zombies RULZZZ!!!! <3

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarinn View Post
    plants vs zombies RULZZZ!!!! <3

true that..

Also try world of goo

dunno if it's on steam but its worth trying it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast