Thread: Using Savage 2 Map Editor with HoN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

Using Savage 2 Map Editor with HoN

I'm creating this topic to start a help-group for people using the Savage 2 Map Editor.
    Here is a post to help you get started on installing and running the map editor
    (http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...ad.php?t=41011)

The reason I'm starting this topic is to teach and learn from other users using the editor.

Basics
    The basics are what I feel you need to know to start a map. Feel free to post additional information.

At this point I assume you have everything installed and you can run the map editor without any problems.

Creating a Map
    When you first open the Savage 2 editor the default blank map size is Size: 8 Scale: 64.
    If you save the default it will save as default.s2z in the maps folder.

To create a new map

1. Press 'New'.
    2. Enter a name
    3. Enter the size (1-10)
    4. Enter the scale

Moving Camera
    WASD moves your camera instead of the arrow keys, alternatively you can use the minimap to browse your map.

Rotating Camera
    The middle mouse button allows you to zoom in, out and rotate the camera.

• Zoom in- Mouse wheel forward
    • Zoom out- Mouse wheel backwards
    • Rotate- Hold in mouse wheel and move mouse

Video

Adding Textures (ground)

1. Start out by going to the top left drop down menu and select 'Textures'.
    2. There are 3 options for your Texture (Color, Texture, Alpha) you want to select texture.
    3. After you select the second option (Texture) a new drop down will appear (titled 'Textures') with all the textures used in HoN.(See 2nd Picture)
    4. Select a texture then select a brush to apply your textures.
    5. You can also add a secondary texture on-top of your primary (to add a blending effect). Do this by selecting Layer 2

Adding Entities
    Entities are basically every object you add to your map.

This video shows you how to add entities.

Video

After you select 'entity' from the main drop down menu you have options to

• Create
    • Select
    • Move
    • Move Z (Up, down)
    • Rotate Yaw
    • Rotate Roll
    • Rotate Pitch
    • Scale

Tools in K2 Editor

Brushes

Deform

The Deform tools are a set of tools in the K2 Editor used to manipulate the layout of the terrain in a user's map.
    Below you will find a list of the Deform tools. The tool descriptions follow the layout of the tool bar.

Raise/Lower

The Raise/Lower tool is used to raise and lower (left and right mouse click respectively) terrain based on brush shape and strength settings.
    Having a brush strength of 128(default setting) will rapidly raise or lower the terrain, while a brush strength setting of 35 will allow you gradually create rolling hills, mountain peaks, cliff faces and much more.

Flatten

The Flatten tool is used to flatten terrain to a specific height as defined by your first mouse click. The flatten tool is great at making plateaus/mesas and gradually building up terrain to make hills and ramps.

Cut

The Cut tool is used to trim down to a defined height. It cannot be used to raise the terrain to a defined height.

Smooth

The Smooth tool is used to smooth terrain in relativity to it's surrounding terrain.
    For instance using the Smooth tool on a piece of high terrain and lower terrain will create a slope between the two, making a ramp, instead of having to cliffs.

Clear

The Clear tool will set the terrain to a defined height, no matter how high or low the terrain you're using it on.

Noise

The Noise tool is used to add random variance to terrain.

Harmonic

The Harmonic tool raises and lowers terrain on what seems to be the difference between two sampled areas.

Blockers

The Blockers tool is used to apply blockers to a map. Blockers are invisible walls/in-passable terrain that restrict access to parts of a map that were never intended to be in play.
    To place a blocker click on the Blockers button, select a brush and point and click on the ground where you'd like to restrict access.

Texture

The Texture tools are used to edit a map's textures in the K2 Editor. Below you will find a list of the Texture tools.
    The tool descriptions follow the layout of the tool bar. All texture tools assume your brush setting.

Color

The Color tool allows you to "paint" your terrain a defined color. You can select your color using the RGB sliders.
    Depending on your brush settings, left clicking will apply the color and right clicking will remove it.

Texture

The Texture tool is used to apply, remove, and blend textures by the use of two separate texture layers.
    When you first click on the tool, you are presented with a drop-down menu of available textures, with a preview of selected image shown below.
    Select your texture from this menu, and proceed to selecting the layer you would like to apply your texture.
    Layer 1
    paints on faces, and is generally for applying base textures, while Layer 2 paints on vertexes and generally for blending and detail work.
    By using both layers, a designer can create realistic blending terrain using two entirely separate textures.
    When creating your base terrain on Layer 1, left clicking applies the texture, while right clicking will remove it.
    However, when you are editing Layer 2 left clicking and right clicking will gradually apply or remove your texture depending on your brush settings.

Alpha

The alpha sub-tool allows you to hide layer 2 texture in a very precise manner, allowing for fine edges and detail normally not afforded by the normal texture sub-tool. To hide layer 2 texture, right-click over an area that has been painted on layer 2 with the texture sub-tool. To have the painted area visible again, left-click over that area. Because the alpha tool allows much finer control than the normal texture tool, you'll need to use a MUCH larger brush than normal to affect a similar area. The brush strength setting controls how quickly layer 2 texture is hidden and restored.

• Bear in mind that the alpha tool cannot paint new layer 2 texture; it only allows for the fine control of the visibility pre-existing layer 2 texture.
    • You're not actually erasing the layer 2 texture, just hiding and revealing any that may exist in an area.

Entity

Create

The create sub-tool allows you to place an entity on the map by left-clicking anywhere on the map. It?s best to at least select a model before placing an entity to get an idea of its size and position, but all properties of an entity can be modified after placement simply by selecting the desired entity and changing its properties.

• Entities cannot be selected while using this sub-tool.

Entity Types and their Properties

These properties define what type of object the entity is (such as gold mine or scar), as well as things such as the model to use, how much gold might be available (for mines), and what team the entity is for (0 by default and for NPC?s, 1 for Human, and 2 for Beast).
    Scenery Scenery is the most common entity type. These entities are generally just decorations and miscellaneous terrain features which don?t have any special properties. Trees, rocks, ruins structures and walls, and bushes are all scenery entities.

• This entity type is similar to the doodad object type in Warcraft 3, or the tile object type in Command & Conquer: Renegade.

Mine
    Mine has nothing to do with HoN and I doubt you will be able to use it in your map.

Source: http://modding.savage2.s2games.com/i...y:Editor_Tools
    Source: http://www.savage2guide.com/index.ph...=Mapping_Guide
    Console Commands to use in editor (ctrl+f8)

Code:
    Host_timescale X
    Scene_sunAltitude X
    Scene_sunAzimuth X
    Scene_sunsize X
    Scene_brightscale X
    Scene_worldfarclip XXXX
    Scene_drawskybox -true/false-
    Scene_skyboxmaterial -path-
    Vid_foliageanimatespeed X
    Vid_foliageanimateStrength X

USEFUL LINKS

Basic Mapping Tutorial - By S2Mercenary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesfH9SFX_I

S2 Map Editing Wiki

http://modding.savage2.s2games.com

http://www.savage2guide.com

Coming soon:

• Advanced Editing
    • Better Videos

Last edited by MaxGhost; 01-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Account Icon
    Nice tutorial! Will try it when I got a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    20:11:48 | Sephinator: I got a small window.
    20:11:53 | Sephinator: I hate clouds.
    20:13:59 | SoundWizard: I hate sephiroth wannabes
    20:14:35 | @Warchamp7: i c wut u did
    Current Project: HoW40K - UI/FX Coder

Account Icon
    Updated with a little more information.

Nice tutorial, since I'm new to the Savage2 editor that will help me.

I don't know if I'm right, but isn't the "Cut" tool from deform used to set the elevation of the terrain to a set value ONLY if its greater than the set value?
    Like if if you set the elevation to 200 and your terrain is over 200 its going to be "cut" to 200 elevation, but if your terrain is at 160 it will do nothing to it since its elevation is under 200.

I'm still learning the editor so correct me if I'm wrong.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oloko View Post
    Nice tutorial, since I'm new to the Savage2 editor that will help me.

I don't know if I'm right, but isn't the "Cut" tool from deform used to set the elevation of the terrain to a set value ONLY if its greater than the set value?
    Like if if you set the elevation to 200 and your terrain is over 200 its going to be "cut" to 200 elevation, but if your terrain is at 160 it will do nothing to it since its elevation is under 200.

I'm still learning the editor so correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're right, the clear tool will set any terrain to the height you want, the cut tool will only lower it. Fixed the definitions in the above post.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Nice tutorial .
    However, you shoude mention the alpha tool in the Texture section , its a tool often used in the editor for more detailed texture terrain .

Here is an old video tutorial for Savage 2 editor it explains all the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesfH9SFX_I

Edit: Aaaand here are the modding basics for K2 Editor , scripts , mapping basics and functions can be found here :
    http://modding.savage2.s2games.com/i...modding_basics
    Last edited by StriderLukaz; 12-27-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Map of Newerth:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?415557

Alt suggestion - Steampunk Balphagore:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=387053

Modifications - Hats and junk :
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=393977

Account Icon
    You can take lots of information for your guide here http://forums.savage2.com/showthread.php?t=13693 - By S2Mercenary.

very important, YOU CAN COPY ENTITIES HOLDING SHIFT+one of the moving/rotating/scaling tool (saves ALL DATA OF ENTITY).

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    nice. meh but it will still be too complicated for me because i SUCK so i watch strider do cool things.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Envor View Post
    You can take lots of information for your guide here http://forums.savage2.com/showthread.php?t=13693 - By S2Mercenary.

very important, YOU CAN COPY ENTITIES HOLDING SHIFT+one of the moving/rotating/scaling tool (saves ALL DATA OF ENTITY).
    Envor you sneaky bastard ! Get that tropical map already done so we can test it out

Another thing that you might want to check out in the editor are console commands . Scene_ and Vid_ ( tab ) will auto complete the scene commands you can use for changeing map visuals .
    Some usefull ones
    ------
    Some usefull commands that also work in-game Hon/sav2/editor...

Host_timescale X
    Scene_sunAltitude X
    Scene_sunAzimuth X
    Scene_sunsize X
    Scene_brightscale X
    Scene_worldfarclip XXXX
    Scene_drawskybox -true/false-
    Scene_skyboxmaterial -path-
    Vid_foliageanimatespeed X
    Vid_foliageanimateStrength X
    Map of Newerth:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?415557

Alt suggestion - Steampunk Balphagore:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=387053

Modifications - Hats and junk :
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=393977

Account Icon
    Something tells me he needs 3 posts to cover all the details.

Account Icon
    Working on combining information from all the guides from S2Mercenary while keeping out the stuff useless to HoN. If I need more post room I'm sure MaxGhost could combined the threads.
    Thanks for the info Strider, first post updated. Will be adding your info (Envor) when I update with Advanced usage.
    Last edited by Tehwildcard; 12-27-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Account Icon
    Updated with pictures! Added some information about entities. More to come

Expect the Advanced usage by next year

When i load the caldavar.s2z map it doesn't load any enties. im just starting and trying to get into modding but i dont understand the basics like how to make even the fountain show up and function correctly. if anyone could upload a tutorial on how to not just make terrain but make a functioning map that would be awsome

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker76 View Post
    When i load the caldavar.s2z map it doesn't load any enties. im just starting and trying to get into modding but i dont understand the basics like how to make even the fountain show up and function correctly. if anyone could upload a tutorial on how to not just make terrain but make a functioning map that would be awsome
    When you try to port your map to Savage 2 Editor from HoN, you need to change the entity file for entities to show up in the editor.

There is a section about this in my tutorial: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...ad.php?t=41011

Go to the section "Opening an HoN map" and to get your map working in HoN read the section "Playing your map" I think its exactly what your looking for.

I must warn you that patch 1.64 remove the capacity of custom entities so from now on I think you won't be able to create custom content for a map until the official map editor release.

I found a fix for the custom content, you can read it here.

well what i was thinking as far as custom content goes was a capture the flag map. would this be possible given the recent removal of custom content? and also is there any estimate to when the full map editor will be released?

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker76 View Post
    well what i was thinking as far as custom content goes was a capture the flag map. would this be possible given the recent removal of custom content? and also is there any estimate to when the full map editor will be released?
    Like I said in the post right above yours, custom content works but you now can't put them in the map file, you need to create a resourceX.s2z file like a UI mod containing your custom entities. Its troublesome but at least you can still work/play custom maps.

A capture the flag map could be done, you need to do some work around since you can't use triggers but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

As for the release date I don't think there is one.

Account Icon
    Also just another note for people unable to rotate the camera with the middle mouse button: some mice come with strange default settings. Make sure your MMB is set to Middle Button or MMB, or something; not "Zoom".

hey i have a question... if i click the deform button and select "textures" my list of "terrain textures" is empty.. any suggestions?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    woah necro!