Thread: Let's give some new light to this game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

Let's give some new light to this game

I've been looking around the forum, guides and strategy and i was amazed by how much it changed compared with some years ago where you had lot's of players debating those forums.
    This game has become pretty casual over the years. That isn't all that bad in my opinion (well, maybe less lucrative for FB, but it's not that bad for casual players who doesn't dream about becoming professional gamers living in their mothers basement till 40).
    Even so, every moba that wants and healthy community needs to keep their guides and strategy forum up to date. It's pretty good to have patch notes and etc, but what new players look for is opinions from other players. How they play the hero, why do they play that hero in a certain way, what they are doing right or wrong in the game. Patch notes and guides only give you a general idea of how to play the game, but it's not the same as an educational.

Now we might not have an huge community and we have less players who can actually speak english. However, we have a team that can stand up and take initiative to create those guides, educationals, debate the game to encourage other players to do the same. We also have the forum translated to other languages, you just need someone who wants to translate those educationals. Come on.. even google translate is better than nothing.

Hon had some huge updates, but strategy and guides remain pretty much the same. New players or less experienced players won't know what to do, and many will try to follow guides with items that doesn't even exist in the game anymore. I know all this requires some time, but i also know that 1 year ago when new items were released the guides where already outdated.
    So we are talking about 1 year and this didn't change.

From what i can tell, the forum is mainly used to complain or to relieve frustration from previous games. However, hate only brings more hate. The time people lose complaining and raging around the forums, could be used to actually talk about the game and help the community grow.
    If you had a bad match, if you think we have players that could improve their game, then use that time to actually teach them how to improve it. Raging will only increase frustration and anxiety. And in the end, those players won't improve because they don't have anyone to help them improve and you will become even more frustrated with the game.

Account Icon
    "professional gamers living in their mothers basement till 40" stopped reading there.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    +1 on N1ppl3's comment.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by N1ppl3 View Post
    "professional gamers living in their mothers basement till 40" stopped reading there.
    Someone apparently got triggered (before he even read the last part).

@Topic:
    I have a suggestion for you if you want something like this to become reality: do it yourself.
    You can either do everything by yourself, recruit people yourself or you ask the CET-Team if they give you a plattform or help you doing this.
    If the content is there, it's easy to advertise that on the front page or inside the game - but the content has to come first..

SBT members are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

-----------------------------

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by N1ppl3 View Post
    You're right about that. I'm sorry. It wasn't the best joke to make.
    However, i assure you that while i might not agree with that kind of lifestyle, i do respect people choices. And people should use their free time the way they want.
    I'll be more careful with jokes in the future.

@Manu311:
    I'm not the best player to do that. I'm just an average player that plays casualty from time to time. But casual players are the majority of our community now and it would be nice if they could easily find enough information to play the game the right way, without harming those who play this more seriously.
    Because it's different to have someone on your team that plays casual but doesn't feed and gets some kills/assists, or someone who can't do any good, gets raged at and starts playing even worse.

The point is.. A professional player won't bother with a game that isn't lucrative. They might like to play hon, but won't take it serious enough to stream or to teach anyone.
    A casual player might look for information about strategy.. because being casual doesn't mean that he doesn't like to win. And if you want to win, you need to understand something about the game.
    But because he can't easily find information that helps him he will either look for a different game (and that's how you lose a player), or he will try his luck and probably feed and ruin someone's game.

Something as simple as this will make the game stagnant. The player base won't grow enough for the game to become interesting/lucrative for professional players to care about. And casual players won't stay enough time to even think about playing the game seriously.
    Other players that take this more seriously will continue to rage because they want decent matches (but HoN is probably the moba they like, so they end up staying till they can't get more of this)
    Last edited by Barghest`; 03-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    member premium guides ? yeah I member..

Account Icon
    The removal of the Twitter-Limit on Hero Guides would be useful to write at least better hero guides ;-).

Anyways an other answer @Barghest`:
    FrostBurn isn't exactly filled with professional HoN-Gamers either. They have an intention for all of the changes they do, and maybe thats how they work. But they need the players to evaluate if that works and to recognize what are good strategies etc.
    They can see what's been done and how it results the win percentage, but they don't necessarily know why and I think this information is crucial for guides.
    As a stupid example: You can see "stacking jungle early on usually helps the carry win late game" - then you recommend "always stack the jungle" - and many players loose games because instead of helping their team they stack the jungle all the time. (Disclaimer: I assume everyone at FB knows about this ;-))
    So the only option for FB to do this are volunteer groups and SBT is the one with the best players (since it's the only one requiring any game-skills to join). We're usually writing the recommended Hero-Guides as well, so this sounds logical.
    So if you want to write a suggestion, put it in the Suggestion-Forums, make it really obvious that you gave it a lot of thought and what exactly you would like to find where.

SBT members are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Cool ideas but the thread will be lost in a few weeks tops. Maybe try go in suggestion forum?
    _______

Best rage ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btd2HQf_jnE

_______

Account Icon
    Way too many avatars now. New players won''t have a clue who is who.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Barghest` View Post
    professional gamers living in their mothers basement till 40)

Account Icon
    Game has definitely lost it's way from what it used to be. Still playable though.

I have noticed that I have received some rep power. Thank you kindly to those who contributed to that if any.

Account Icon
    @Mr_jama: It wasn't my intention for this to be a suggestion. It was more of an appeal to the most experienced players and to the team.

I think it's pretty obvious that the main focus of a strategy game should be to have his strategy information updated. My goal was only to make players and FB understand the importance of it to keep the game healthy and new players engaged.

Account Icon
    @Mr_jama: It wasn't my intention for this to be a suggestion. It was more of an appeal to the most experienced players and to the team.

I think it's pretty obvious that the main focus of a strategy game should be to have his strategy information updated. My goal was only to make players and FB understand the importance of it to keep the game healthy and new players engaged.
    No one, especially experienced players, will put a lot of effort into guides that no one will read since no one finds them. So it really SHOULD be a suggestion first ;-).
    And you have to reward them in some way if you want experienced players writing guides.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu311 View Post
    No one, especially experienced players, will put a lot of effort into guides that no one will read since no one finds them. So it really SHOULD be a suggestion first ;-).
    And you have to reward them in some way if you want experienced players writing guides.
    So you're telling me that an international company that specializes on delivering strategy games to the public needs some random guy to write a "try to look smart" super thread on their forums telling them how important is to keep that information updated? And that's the only way they'll say "Oh... maybe this guy is right, this is a strategy game after all"... Like wtf?

Also, with more than 200 alt avatars.. i think they could find a way to reward those players. It's also not that difficult to hire a freelancer to do some jobs here and there.

I couldn't bring myself to write a serious suggestion on this subject.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

...Now we might not have an huge community and we have less players who can actually speak english. However, we have a team that can stand up and take initiative to create those guides, educationals, debate the game to encourage other players to do the same. We also have the forum translated to other languages, you just need someone who wants to translate those educationals. Come on.. even google translate is better than nothing.

Hon had some huge updates, but strategy and guides remain pretty much the same. New players or less experienced players won't know what to do, and many will try to follow guides with items that doesn't even exist in the game anymore. I know all this requires some time, but i also know that 1 year ago when new items were released the guides where already outdated.
    So we are talking about 1 year and this didn't change.

From what i can tell...
    Guess what ? We had a community clan that was taking care of that (for the most part). I won't go into much details but long story short, 1 bright day our beloved FB studios decided they have no use for that and closed us down (Not literally, but removed the rewarding system which did the job on its own).
    So yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Voximus View Post
    Ethereal hon mentor pls teach me game

Account Icon
    So you're telling me that an international company that specializes on delivering strategy games to the public needs some random guy to write a "try to look smart" super thread on their forums telling them how important is to keep that information updated? And that's the only way they'll say "Oh... maybe this guy is right, this is a strategy game after all"... Like wtf?

Also, with more than 200 alt avatars.. i think they could find a way to reward those players. It's also not that difficult to hire a freelancer to do some jobs here and there.

I couldn't bring myself to write a serious suggestion on this subject.
    I'm pretty sure that they have an idea what might be important. But then after all they have to think stuff through, come up with ideas, basically put a lot of effort into it which might lead to nothing.
    A detailed suggestion includes all that effort and FB only has to read through it, conclude "that sounds doable, let's do exactly that" and the planning is done.

Account Icon
    I'd like to hear more of your ideas in a PM.

Something's cooking behind the scene regarding the topic, I can only say that.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by EthereaLz_ View Post
    Guess what ? We had a community clan that was taking care of that (for the most part). I won't go into much details but long story short, 1 bright day our beloved FB studios decided they have no use for that and closed us down (Not literally, but removed the rewarding system which did the job on its own).
    So yeah...
    I wouldn't give gold to the vomit apology clan from Project Epoch's last regime of goons either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Katieeee View Post
    I wouldn't give gold to the vomit apology clan from Project Epoch's last regime of goons either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I know SBT was working on updating guides for heroes a while back but I'm not sure how far that got/if the guides were ever released. Best bet would be to contact a SBTM (aPis seems interested in continuing this discussion over PM) or contacting Somaz or ElementUser since I think they were the two heading the guide update.

Forum Moderators are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

Hate being griefed by someone who says he made his account in 10 seconds? Then click here!

Hate how new players have no idea what they're doing, yet get put on your team in matchmaking? Then click here!

Wish unranked was more popular so you could play there to improve heroes you aren't so good at? Then click here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast