Thread: I would like to know why were my reports marked Closed.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

I would like to know why were my reports marked Closed.

Hi,

I know the reason why some reported incidents are marked as "Closed". But the reason can vary greatly - it could be due to long time that has passed since the filing of the report, so it was automatically Closed; it could be because there weren't sufficient evidence to convict - or to exonerate the griefer; and it could be that someone else already reported that griefer, in the same game, and he was found guilty, and thus the report was closed automatically.

I think, that if someone is Guilty by another person's report in that game, it should not be under "Closed".

I understand the difficulty that it could be that that other person's report was not the same as yours, so classifying it as "Guilty" is problematic (i.e. you reported for feeding, the other party member reported the griefer for verbal abuse, and he was found guilty due to verbal abuse and not feeding).

But I still think it should not be marked as "Closde". IMO, when someone gets convicted, it should automatically set the notification to "Guilty- Other", so you know the griefer was punished for his actions in that game, regardless if it was due to your report.

There is a vast difference whether someone was found guilty and convicted due to another person's report, and whether the ticket was closed because of other reasons that don't mark the griefer as guilty.

About 80% of my reports are "Closed" and the rest are "Guilty". I don't have a report I made that turned innocent. I would like to know if those Closed reports are closed due to him being guilty because of other members filing a report or not.

It is frustrating to not know that, since I try only to report clear-cut cases where the person is guilty.

Also, if the report was closed due to lack of evidence, maybe I'm not including the right / precise information. Without the proper feedback from the RAP system, I wouldn't know that.

I think it's for the best interest for everyone that the RAP system specify better why the report was closed.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Blizzard; 02-12-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typos
    Medical studies have confirmed and proved:

Your penis size (in cm) IRL = (K/D) * 10

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I think that opening a ticket here will help you a lot,since what you are asking for is private discussion with a (S)GM.

" Surrender to what is,let go of what was,have faith in what will be "

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Hmmm... I don't think a private discussion with an S(GM) would help me. It's more like feedback on the RAP system and how to improve it. What I'm asking / suggesting should be made to all players, not just me.

As a side note, I did not know you can submit an inquiry regarding reports, to find out the reason each and every one was marked as closed. Is it the case?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    As a side note, I did not know you can submit an inquiry regarding reports, to find out the reason each and every one was marked as closed. Is it the case?
    While you can, they might just answer it's a waste of time if you ask for every single one of them.
    (>' ')> ^(' - ')^ <(' '<)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartalacame View Post
    While you can, they might just answer it's a waste of time if you ask for every single one of them.
    Well of course I know I can. I was obviously asking if it is acceptable / gonna yield any results.

Senior Game Master Account Icon
    I think, that if someone is Guilty by another person's report in that game, it should not be under "Closed".
    Having it marked as something else than closed would wrongly influence a reporter's reliability since their report was not handled.

IMO, when someone gets convicted, it should automatically set the notification to "Guilty- Other", so you know the griefer was punished for his actions in that game, regardless if it was due to your report.
    This is a great suggestion in my opinion and I will bring it up internally to see if it is doable.

Edit: That's already how it works. dis dav so bad

Edit: don't do it for closed reports

Like you said yourself, you can do it, but it would result in a SGM spending time answering you about things mostly covered in the RaP feedback stickied threads rather than banning a real griefer. You should definitely do it if you firmly believe the original innocent verdict is wrong though.
    Last edited by dav787; 02-13-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Game Masters are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

-----------------------------

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    To put in, this was done several years ago and I think out of something like 1% of them were granted.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by dav787 View Post
    Having it marked as something else than closed would wrongly influence a reporter's reliability since their report was not handled.

This is a great suggestion in my opinion and I will bring it up internally to see if it is doable.

Edit: don't do it for closed reports

Like you said yourself, you can do it, but it would result in a SGM spending time answering you about things mostly covered in the RaP feedback stickied threads rather than banning a real griefer. You should definitely do it if you firmly believe the original innocent verdict is wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagatamen View Post
    To put in, this was done several years ago and I think out of something like 1% of them were granted.
    Thanks for the responses.

I would just like to reiterate that I'm not asking my report to be re-reviewed and I'm not referring to "innocent" reports. (I don't have a single report marked as innocent as of date, and I'm pretty sure the feedback from the RAP system is pretty sufficient in that sense)

But rather, I simply think there should be better feedback in the RAP system for when a case is marked as "Closed", since it can mean too many things, and a "Closed" feedback, as a whole, is not very constructive taking in mind it could mean the reported player was found guilty on other grounds. dav787 already replied to my suggestion so I take it as my message was received.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Frostburn Staff Member Frostburn Staff
    I've been asked for clarification of this thread so here goes:

1) What happens when a ticket is judged
    When a player is suspended (one of the submitted reports against an individual was valid), that report will be marked as guilty in the player portal.
    In addition to this, all current open tickets against that individual will ALSO be marked as guilty, and everyone receives an in-game notification.

When a player is warned, it is the same procedure as with a guilty

When a player is found innocent the case is a bit trickier, as the GM here has multiple options.
    The most usual outcome is that the match being checked is marked as innocent, and all open reports from that match will also be marked as innocent.
    The GM then proceeds judging the rest of the tickets, to see if a guilty decision can be made.

2) What does closed mean?
    Closed means that a judgement could not be made. There can be several reasons for this, automatic closure, replaying being unavailable, not able to review the replay (usually due to compat issues), etc.
    The reason of closed tickets is not specified, however I think a qualified guess is that the vast majority are getting closed because the replays are getting too old.

3) Can we have more/other statuses?
    No. The 5 statuses (open, closed, innocent, warning, guilty) we have is all there is.
    This is the way the system is designed, and there is no more use for more statuses seen from a GM's side of things.

4) Will there be explanations why a ticket was closed?
    No. A technical explanation follows:

Notes, or text are only attached to the decisions that GMs make.
    When a ticket is closed, no decision has been made for that ticket (we don't know if it was innocent or guilty).
    This prevents the reported, and reporter's stats from changing, and it also helps us in terms of internal stats.
    In short, this is how the system is designed, and it's simply not possible to attach an explanation as to why a ticket is closed, seeing it's not a decision (and it never will be, because of the system design)

Frostburn Studios
    Striving to create the most captivating and unforgettable gaming experiences.

Born to code my first words were "hello world" | Head GM | Online Systems Engineer | Systems administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
    1) What happens when a ticket is judged
    When a player is suspended (one of the submitted reports against an individual was valid), that report will be marked as guilty in the player portal.
    In addition to this, all current open tickets against that individual will ALSO be marked as guilty, and everyone receives an in-game notification.
    You learn something new every day I had in mind a decision only affected the reporters for the specific match the decision was made on.

dav787 worst sgm 2k17

I'm sorry Blizzard, thank you Smilie!

Game Masters are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    so much useful information , why dont we have a stickied post about it for future references , im sure many would question / want to know why their reports were closed , i even was at sometime and asked Dav787 about it :P

12.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12
    Frostburn Staff Member Frostburn Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by W View Post
    so much useful information , why dont we have a stickied post about it for future references , im sure many would question / want to know why their reports were closed , i even was at sometime and asked Dav787 about it :P
    I added new information to the stickied post: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...-Player-Portal

The new information is mostly from Smilie's response in this thread.

Frostburn Studios
    Striving to create the most captivating and unforgettable gaming experiences.

ElementUser | Technical Designer | QA | Catalyst for Bugfixes, Balance & Design

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ElementUser View Post
    I added new information to the stickied post: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...-Player-Portal

The new information is mostly from Smilie's response in this thread.

Thanks alot eu , exactly what i was talking about ! I appreciate it

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    You learn something new every day I had in mind a decision only affected the reporters for the specific match the decision was made on.

dav787 worst sgm 2k17

I'm sorry Blizzard, thank you Smilie!
    Not a problem.

Thanks @Smilie. I was under the impression that if someone was guilty, then the rest of the tickets against him will be marked as "Closed". I'm pretty sure someone from the staff said that before (wasn't you that time though, dav )

Then again! Coming to think of it, maybe whoever told us about "other tickets against the guilty person are closed" he didn't mean they were getting marked as "Closed", but they were literally closed, as "judged".

OK. So I would just like to say that since 14.12 - I have 11 reports I made. 1 Open, 3 Guilty and 7 Closed (0 innocent). I have to be honest and say it's a little disheartening to know that more than half of my reports are not being looked at...

OK. So I would just like to say that since 14.12 - I have 11 reports I made. 1 Open, 3 Guilty and 7 Closed (0 innocent). I have to be honest and say it's a little disheartening to know that more than half of my reports are not being looked at...
    I understand the feeling.

The system is targetted towards repeated griefers first, so it is not impossible that the players you reported only griefed in that one match and played normally afterwards.

The positive side of this is that the more often your reports are ruled guilty, the faster your reports will be reviewed in the future. It simply takes time to adjust, as you have probably understood.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I understand the feeling.

The system is targetted towards repeated griefers first, so it is not impossible that the players you reported only griefed in that one match and played normally afterwards.

The positive side of this is that the more often your reports are ruled guilty, the faster your reports will be reviewed in the future. It simply takes time to adjust, as you have probably understood.

Gotcha, thanks!