Thread: Requesting community input: improving the in-game & out-of-game experience

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Frostburn Staff Member Frostburn Staff

Requesting community input: improving the in-game & out-of-game experience

Hi everyone, ElementUser here.

After a lot of the content, work and major bugfixes have been taken care of for HoN 4.0, I have been tasked to brainstorm & scout out ideas to improve the in-game & out-of-game experience for HoN players, i.e. quality of life (QoL) changes.

We would love to hear any ideas or suggestions that the HoN community may have to improve the player experience in-game & out of the game.

Some examples of some ideas I have thought of so far (just so players can get a sense of what type of suggestions we are looking for):

• In-game: Courier speed can be increased, as the return speed of the courier to the base is incredibly sluggish.

• Out-of-game: the HoN patcher can have the contents of the current patch notes & improved UI, so players have something to read while patching.

• UI: Add FPS & Ping information in the in-game HUD (this is already done in 4.0.3)

Note that suggestions could be ideas that other games have implemented, e.g. in Dota2, you can hold Alt and left-click a skill to tell all allies the current cooldown of your skill or whether you have mana for the skill.

Thank you for any & all ideas and suggestions that you may have! We appreciate your input to improve HoN =)

- ElementUser

N.B. I am aware this thread is in General Discussion & not Suggestions. I am putting this thread in General Discussion first for visibility & to receive initial feedback much more quickly & easily before it is moved to Suggestions. I have also looked in the Suggestions forums, but it's very possible I could have missed a few great ideas in the midst of my search.
    Last edited by ElementUser; 02-06-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Frostburn Studios
    Striving to create the most captivating and unforgettable gaming experiences.
    -----------------------------

ElementUser | Technical Designer | QA | Catalyst for Bugfixes, Balance & Design

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Game Master Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Maybe you missed this idea so I'll post it here.

I suggested it last year, AceJr liked and Imo if this get implemented it can improve the game experience

TL TR Version of it; Increasing the individual cooldown of CC Vote only, to prevent the annoying cc vote spam each 60 seconds from the same person who thinks the game is over while the others are trying to win

Game Masters are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

Do you have any game advice or knowledge that you use on your matches? Share it on our Advice Center!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    More silver, or lower price of avatars after some time so people that don't have money can afford avatars. Free try of avatars atleast versus bots.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    remove pause and rmk from the game. Pause are the biggest problem with this game. They create a toxic enviroment, because people spam these pauses to justify beeing afk or playing during times where they get interrupted a lot. When people have no time or technical issues they shouldn't even search a game. It is their fault and they punish with pause/rmk spam everybody else for their problems.

Rmk is a big problem, because people tend to disrespect the picking phase. They stay afk during this time or troll by getting mid at all costs. They know exactly that people will spam rmk and this creates a "free out of prision card" for all the idiots in this game.

you need to remove the RAP system. It is worthless and causes only people getting mad and reporting each others. The game masters can't deal with power. They abuse it constantly. It makes people angry, because the RAP system punishes you while trolls can get away with making everybody mad.

Add an Icon that shines yellow when you find a game.

Force people to accept the game, bevore they get into the picking phase. Hard punishments with 1 hour bans should be enough to deal with afk people.

Don't reinvent all heroes. There will be always overpowered heroes and the balance issue is irrelevant for low skilled players.

Fix the lernatorium stats! When you introduced the league system there are no stats for this mode recorded which sucks!

Remove all the bullshit besides the Champions of newerth. It will reduce the search times and create a better expirience for everybody.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Idea #1 Anti-AFK guard. I've posted my idea yesterday here in general discussion and in the suggestions, but basically a punishment for the players who don't pick heroes when the picking phase starts.

Idea #2 - I don't have a name for it but basically when you get a successful report against you this should be displayed somewhere in the stats in the profile. For example you were reported twice for chat abuse and when you start a game there will be like a small icon next to your name or something like that and people can go to your profile and see what and how many times you've got reported and for what ( +you would get slower rang increase and faster decrease with every report against you)

Idea #3 - there is a functional "ignore/mute" option. It's time for a functional "ban" option. When you click it now it doesn't do anything (at least for the match making) but when I click ban that means that I don't want to play with this person anymore. So I would be able to "ban" somebody from being randomly selected to play in my team.

Idea #4 - choosing the lane before you start. So as far as I've heard there is something similar in LoL. You chose on which lane you want to play before you start a game (or before you queue). This will greatly improved the people who "refuse to communicate" during picking phase and all the Russian players that don't understand what the others are saying or can't say what they plane to do

Looking forward for discussion

<3 HoN !!!
    Last edited by The_F; 02-06-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Hello!

1) The #1 priority for most players is having something to do while queuing. We usually play some other game while we queue for HoN.
    Something that would be amazing would be the option to do a "wtf mode" (In Dota) while queueing. Even just spawning in a game with no cooldowns/full gold, and just messing around with builds/items. This mode should also be implemented as a separate mode to test out builds/combos in public games; however it should be isolated to be only no stats.

2) an extra option for the 1v1 mode. When someone wins the 1v1, you have the choice to "rematch" which instantly goes back into the drafting stage, instead of rehosting the match every time.

3) Being able to use bottle charges on allies. Similar to dota. This should be implemented completely unbinded to begin with, so it wouldn't mess up other binds.
    Then players can manually go into the hotkeys in options and set out a key bind that works for them.

4) Items on courier need to have the option to be re-arranged. It's frustrating having 2 minor totems saved in stash as your first two slots in stash, while only wanting the third item being delivered. Which forces you to manually drop items continuously and maybe even selling the totems.

5) https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...3#post16241603

6) The aggro range for the pull camp on legion goes way too far up. When you're kiting the hard camp, it aggro the pull camp and might mess up stacks/pull timings.

7) Kraken charging. Sometimes you pk next to a cliff, and a tiny bit of your hero model is clipped by the cliff which completely negates the charge. Same applies for cthulu stun. On that note, ctulu needs a buff. Specifically his stun -> it's so easy to dodge and he's completely out shined by a magmus in terms of initiation.

8) The taunt yourself thing was one of my favourite features in 4.0. Been laughing so hard at some of the sleep animations. More of this should be available.
    Typing commands like /laugh /dance /joke would be a great feature aesthetically. (This is present in LoL)

9) "e.g. in Dota2, you can hold Alt and left-click a skill to tell all allies the current cooldown of your skill or whether you have mana for the skill." Same should apply for items. Also for showing if you have enough for buyback or not. So you don't have to manually calculate it.

10) Changing the 1v1 mode to a "blind pick" similar to SD. So many times in the 1v1 mode, people just wait until the last 10 seconds to not show their 3 heroes, which is just a waste of time.

11) Being able to ping while paused is a big one for me personally.

12) Drawing on the screen/map when casting is a great option. I swear I saw breaky/beef doing this once before on a very old vod but I never found out how it's done.

13) Being able to look at hosted games while queueing; or checking out hon live.

14) The side shop range to buy is SO small. Same goes for observatories.

15) Having an upgraded HP/Mana potion in the observatory for when you're pushing high ground. Also, please lower the cooldown on HP pot, 2 minutes is way too long.

16) In Starcraft, they have these observatories/beacons where if you stand next to them they activate and give you large AOE vision. That would be an interesting feature in HoN. How it would be used: Let's say you are having a teamfight between the tier 2 towers of hellbourne mid and bot lane. You win the teamfight, but bubbles shellsurfed away in trees and is about to tp. You stand next to the observatory, or you go into the store and activate it for a small gold amount ~ 20?
    Note: It should NOT give the same amount of vision a ward would, and it shouldn't give vision into kong pit, that would be a massive buff to hellbourne.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Teltook; 02-06-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Game Master Account Icon
    Allow us to change size & color of cursor in game. For people with huge resolutions it doesn't scale well and it's easy to loose it in the fight. This kind of mod is a must have for me and I think it would be easy and cool improvement to put in the game https://i.ytimg.com/vi/We2eJ-z7sds/hqdefault.jpg

Game Masters are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

Account Icon
    The best idea would be limit the kind of heroes a team could get example:

1st player picks carry
    2nd player picks carry
    then when the 3rd player try to pick another carry he gets > " Sorry carry limit reached, choose another hero vocation. ( support or tank ).

Game Master Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ElementUser View Post

Note that suggestions could be ideas that other games have implemented, e.g. in Dota2, you can hold Alt and left-click a skill to tell all allies the current cooldown of your skill or whether you have mana for the skill.
    I like this idea.
    It will removes all the hate towards "where is he? ulti wasn't up? Why he isn't using his ulti??"etc and adding faster and better communication between each ally.

My suggestions:
    *Calamity' walk animation depending of his movespeed introduced on HoN a new UI/gameplay.
    Make it happens to any new hero/Gold/UA alts, and even a new movespeed animation when a hero is slowed/stunned.

*Even if it's the game, Backdooring cause a lot of toxicity.
    Made some balance about it.
    For example: If you're alone (your hero only, that exclude some pushers like WB/WS/ophelia/DL safes), the enemy tower attacks you in priority, and his damage become exponential.

*Refund-system:
    If you doesn't like an alt you bought, you can refund it.
    Limit of like 5 refunds per year. And limit 3 days after you buy it.

Hardcore player. Always improve his gameplay. Never rage against anyone than himself for being weak.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Master Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo78 View Post
    The best idea would be limit the kind of heroes a team could get example:1st player picks carry
    2nd player picks carry then when the 3rd player try to pick another carry he gets > " Sorry carry limit reached, choose another hero vocation. ( support or tank ).
    Im against it, the game changes alot and sometimes a carry hero can be used as jungler(like Dr when he got the q buff or Vindicator after rework, that is mostly used as support and hes marked as Carry).

Quote Originally Posted by CaitSith View Post
    *Even if it's the game, Backdooring cause a lot of toxicity.
    Made some balance about it.

For example: If you're alone (your hero only, that exclude some pushers like WB/WS/ophelia/DL safes), the enemy tower attacks you in priority, and his damage become exponential.

*Refund-system:If you doesn't like an alt you bought, you can refund it.Limit of like 5 refunds per year. And limit 3 days after you buy it.
    I dont support the Backdooring Balance, would kill some base races(e.g Farmed Magebane pushing vs 3 heroes of enemy team pushing)
    But +1 for the refund system
    Last edited by S1`; 02-06-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Do you have any game advice or knowledge that you use on your matches? Share it on our Advice Center!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ElementUser View Post

I tried this in dota 2 and it is very comfortable to get used to and very useful, would definitely welcome this in HoN aswell!
    You can also do this click on items in shop and it will tell your team which item you are going to build and how much gold you need for it and so on

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    "Select all units including hero" button.
    "Select all unit but hero" button.

Make Accursed not able to remove debuffs.

Remove pants at level shoes/pants at level 11 and 16 (Chip legionnaire).

custom skill icons for alt avatars.

Animated skill icons, Items icons.

No inflated players.

No high reward/low risk heroes.

Do not change as dota 2 did.

Remove Demented shaman automatic ultimate.
    Last edited by CuysauruS; 02-10-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Account Icon
    Before you start the Q you need to choose a role/s (e.g. carry, support, jungler...).
    The system place you in the team compared to what you choose.
    This will make Q time much longer but on the other hand it will save nerves.
    Ofc put this thing as an option.

Rework Ultimate Avatars.
    Last edited by aPis; 02-06-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    As you said , being able to left click heroes ( to call miss) spells (cds) mana etc.
    And it would be nice if i could actually choose what courier brings to me , for example if i want him to bring me tp, he doesnt give me parts for stormspirit i have in stash(meaning i want to be able to send 1 item only ).. or is this a thing and i have no clue how to do it :? cheers

Account Icon
    [QUOTE=S1`;16530791]Im against it, the game changes alot and sometimes a carry hero can be used as jungler(like Dr when he got the q buff or Vindicator after rework, that is mostly used as support and hes marked as Carry).

That´s

Because you never played in Bronze where people insta pick 5 carry.

Game Master Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    marked as Carry).

That´s

Because you never played in Bronze where people insta pick 5 carry.
    I know, but such a change would work on gold/Diamond/Legendary

For example, on my Account KawaiiDesu`, my main support on Season 2 is Puppet Master, most of my games I wouldnt be able to use it, even loving to do it, just because hes marked as Carry :c
    Last edited by S1`; 02-06-2017 at 03:34 PM.

HoNored Account Icon
    1) Add a drafting map (like Dota2). This allows players to shadow where they intend to play (initially). This helps a LOT with drafting strategy and helps with language barriers as well. This would be particularly helpful for Counterpick mode.

2) Add alt-leftclick to display cooldowns, health/mana, item purchases, etc. This helps overcome language barriers and is a nice middle ground for players that don't use mics but can't type quickly.

3) Play alt avatar audio lines in the shop by left clicking the alt avatar. Right now, audio quite hidden and I'd guess most players don't even know about it. Audio is huge part of alt avatars and should be marketed better.

4) (Possibly?) Enable voice chat within a group that is in queue. This allows more engagement during queue times. CS:GO already does this with group lobbies (even when not in queue).

5) Somehow make the match ID a copy-able field (so we can communicate it to other players and/or websites).

6) Add items to the Learnatorium

7) Allow items to be rearranged on the courier so you can determine which one will be delivered 'first' if you have limited item slots available. For example, if I have 1 slot left and I try to deliver an HP pot and a Rev ward, I can't control which one I receive.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonLee View Post
    ...Merrick is some teleporting voodoo merchant that just teleports to you and hands out free gold rewarding prolongued abstinence of violence whenever you kill something...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    There is way too much to read so idk if someone posted this suggestion or does it even count as in game but i've read it somewhere in the forum few days ago, But i've read some guy suggesting that you guys update the Learnatorium's stats for every individual hero, and i'd like to see a mw tab beside that normal mode and (dead) casual mode sitting there for ages.
    Show some love for the Mw players

Senior Game Master Account Icon
    The best idea would be limit the kind of heroes a team could get example:

1st player picks carry
    2nd player picks carry
    then when the 3rd player try to pick another carry he gets > " Sorry carry limit reached, choose another hero vocation. ( support or tank ).
    What if I wish to support as Moon Queen (just an example)? Why should I be dictated what hero to play when I'm here for the fun of it and will play seriously?

20.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    Frostburn Staff Member Frostburn Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Seife123 View Post
    you need to remove the RAP system. It is worthless and causes only people getting mad and reporting each others. The game masters can't deal with power. They abuse it constantly. It makes people angry, because the RAP system punishes you while trolls can get away with making everybody mad.
    If you really think that Game Masters are abusing their power, I would advise opening a ticket here and making sure you back up your arguments with substantial evidence: http://rap.heroesofnewerth.com/auth

I firmly believe that your claims are false in regards to this.

Frostburn Studios
    Striving to create the most captivating and unforgettable gaming experiences.

ElementUser | Technical Designer | QA | Catalyst for Bugfixes, Balance & Design

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast