Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Applications Closed: HoN Tour Writers and Admins

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

Applications Closed: HoN Tour Writers and Admins

HoN Tour Writers and Admins

Applications Closed

Introduction

The events run over the last two years of HoN Tour have been fantatsic, but like any endeavor, the people behind the curtain are key to success. Continuous operation and coverage of HoN Tour events is an essential aspect, and now you can get involved! We're now opening applications for volunteer HoN Tour Admins and HoN Tour Writers. These individuals will be instrumental in ensuring that events continue to run in a smooth and consistent manner, and that the players, teams, and events themselves receive proper recognition and attention.

If you've been looking to get involved in HoN, or eSports in general, this is a great opportunity to get experience and your foot in the door. Applicants need only fill out a formal application (see below for details of Admin/Writer). Applications will be reviewed by HoN Tour staff, and select individuals will be contacted for follow-up Skype interviews. Applications will be accepted until Friday, August 8th at 5pm EDT | 2300 CEST.

HoN Tour Writer

HoN Tour Writers are key members of the HoN Tour Staff. Writers are used to promote awareness of HoN Tour events, and HoN competition globally. Assignments include events overviews and previews, match or tournament recaps, player interviews, team spotlights, and more. The current position of HoN Tour Writer is a volunteer position, though dedicated Writers have the possibility to move into a paid position. Additionally, Writers will be rewarded with Gold Coins and Avatars.

Writer Responsibilities
    • Research (Watching matches, talking with players/teams, gathering images, retrieving event information.)
    • Writing (Using information gathered in research to create an entertaining and easily digestible article to inform readers about events or news.)
    • Review (Verifying that submissions are accurate, easily understood, and free of spelling or syntax errors.)
    • Formatting (Working with an Editor to format articles for posting on Hontour.com.)

Minimum Requirements
    • 18+ years of age
    • Mastery of the English language
    • Ability to submit a minimum of two articles per week on scheduled deadlines
    • Ability to write in a thorough and engaging manner
    • Willingness to accept constructive criticism
    • Ability to manage your own work schedule
    • Ability to work as an individual and as part of a team
    • Moderate knowledge of HoN and the NA/EU Competitive Scene

Bonus Points
    • Prior experience in journalism
    • Prior experience in eSports
    • Flexible schedule
    • In-depth knowledge of the HoN competitive scene
    • Knowledge of the global HoN competitive scene

Application
    • Send an email to k.bautista@honteam.com with subject line: HoN Tour Writer Application
    • Provide full name, HoN in-game name, age, location, and Skype username.
    • Provide a writing sample about a recent match, event, or HoN related news (Maximum 400 words).
    • In 150 words or less, explain why you want to get involved with HoN Tour.
    • Optional: Attach a resume, CV, or writing sample from previous journalistic experience
    • Allow up to one week for an email reply to your application.

HoN Tour Admin

HoN Tour Admins are the gears that allow events to happen each week. Admins are responsible for providing assistance to players/teams and overseeing events to ensure that tournaments are run smoothly. Admins are responsible for enforcing the rules in HoN Tour events, and moderating disputes between teams. Additionally, Admins can be involved in tournament preparation, answering tickets at the Helpdesk, and maintaining various HoN Tour documents. HoN Tour Admin is a volunteer position and not paid, though multiple compensations and rewards are available based on Admin activity.

What We're Looking For
    • 18+ years of age
    • Show a good command of the English language and have a professional conduct
    • Have a passion for HoN, eSports, and event organization
    • Have prior experience in dealing with customers, or show willingness in learning how to do so.
    • Be able to work as an individual and as a member of a team
    • Punctual, patient and detail oriented
    • Ability to effectively multi-task!

Work Load
    • Play time: An event can span over 2-3 days and take up to ~7h/day of supervision, with most of the work revolving around lobby time.
    • Required: Dedicate at least 6-12 hours per week as your schedule allows, and assist players if they message outside of play time.
    • Optional: assist with various tasks such as: helpdesk, prize log or help brainstorm, organize and publish HoN Tour events.

Application
    • Apply here by selecting 'HoN Tour Admin' and completing the web-form.
    • Allow up to one week for an forum PM reply to your application.
    Last edited by Beef; 08-09-2014 at 04:53 AM.
    compLexity Gaming - General Manager| eSports Media Manager - Hontour
    Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Twitch

"The current position of HoN Tour Writer is a volunteer position, though dedicated Writers have the possibility to move into a paid position."

Statements like this should be illegal. Everyone knows there is no possibility of a paid position. Respect to anyone who actually spends their time to help the competitive scene or whatever is remaining of it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadyToStomp View Post
    "The current position of HoN Tour Writer is a volunteer position, though dedicated Writers have the possibility to move into a paid position."

Statements like this should be illegal. Everyone knows there is no possibility of a paid position. Respect to anyone who actually spends their time to help the competitive scene or whatever is remaining of it.
    Both current HoN Tour writers are in paid positions and have been for over a year. If a writer proves to be committed and able to provide a high-quality, consistent product then there is absolutely a possibility.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadyToStomp View Post

We have and will continue to pay volunteers that go above and beyond.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Have you guys considered making it so that things like the eSports weekly are written by multiple authors instead of one? For example, I'm not as familiar with the NA / EU competitive scene as Beef, but I am familiar with the competitive Mid Wars scene and will be happy to articles on it (I'll say though that I may be biased since I'm involved in the scene myself).

Otherwise 400 words seems rather paltry ... even for a single match / event etc, I'd imagine I can write well over 1000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorais View Post
    Have you guys considered making it so that things like the eSports weekly are written by multiple authors instead of one? For example, I'm not as familiar with the NA / EU competitive scene as Beef, but I am familiar with the competitive Mid Wars scene and will be happy to articles on it (I'll say though that I may be biased since I'm involved in the scene myself).

Otherwise 400 words seems rather paltry ... even for a single match / event etc, I'd imagine I can write well over 1000 words.
    400 words is just an example for you to give

If you feel that you can and want to write about competitive mid-wars than I urge you to send an example to Beef. As an ex-writer/now admin I can tell you that you won't be disappointed in being part of the team and there can always be room to grow.

No harm in sending Beef an e-mail with your info!
    - Keep feeding me your denial and hate, from that I will create.

I agree with Sorais on this. The weekly reports concerning Midwars are sub-par and filled with inconsistencies and false information. Someone from the midwars community should have been writting those write-ups (i.e Sorais)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

The eSports Weekly is compiled of information from other weekly articles and multiple authors. If you're interested in writing about mid-wars tournaments that is absolutely something we'd love to have more insight about. Please, feel free to submit an application.

As Crow said though, 400 words is just for a test submission. Actual articles frequently break 1000 words.

I would indeed like to see a dedicated casual writer join our ranks, I do not mind writing about it but the time I can allocate for the Variety Cup is rather limited and with HoN Tour starting again, I would prefer to focus on that.
    And as you can see with Crow, we'll make a man out of you in no time
    Olive?

Hey Beef!

I am an adept writer. Having written many short stories and taken numerous English/literary courses, it is one of the few things I pride myself in being highly skilled at. Unfortunately, however, I am currently working full-time at my new job and don't believe I will be able to dedicate 8+ hours a week towards writing/reviewing HoNTour.

With what little free time I do have, I attempt to manage my clan and HoNTour team. Now, I'd be willing to sacrifice 5-6 hours of HoN/scrim time each week in order to fulfill my responsibilities for this position. Before I apply for this, I'd like to ask....

If I can guarantee 5.5-6+ hours each week towards this job, would that be enough for me to fulfill my role? Keep in mind, I'm quite accustomed to writing quickly and efficiently. Also, I am very involved with the current competitive scene so I'm more knowledgeable than the average Joe as far as the comp. scene is concerned.

Let me know when you get the time. I'd be a perfect fit for this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Born View Post
    I agree with Sorais on this. The weekly reports concerning Midwars are sub-par and filled with inconsistencies and false information. Someone from the midwars community should have been writting those write-ups (i.e Sorais)
    This may sound like pushing responsibility to someone else but why don't you do it? I am after all still involved in the scene, while you are not - that should mean you are less biased than I am.

This may sound like pushing responsibility to someone else but why don't you do it? I am after all still involved in the scene, while you are not - that should mean you are less biased than I am.
    I'll do it, don't worry
    i am hamcake

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by enthozz View Post
    Hey Beef!

I am an adept writer. Having written many short stories and taken numerous English/literary courses, it is one of the few things I pride myself in being highly skilled at. Unfortunately, however, I am currently working full-time at my new job and don't believe I will be able to dedicate 8+ hours a week towards writing/reviewing HoNTour.

With what little free time I do have, I attempt to manage my clan and HoNTour team. Now, I'd be willing to sacrifice 5-6 hours of HoN/scrim time each week in order to fulfill my responsibilities for this position. Before I apply for this, I'd like to ask....

If I can guarantee 5.5-6+ hours each week towards this job, would that be enough for me to fulfill my role? Keep in mind, I'm quite accustomed to writing quickly and efficiently. Also, I am very involved with the current competitive scene so I'm more knowledgeable than the average Joe as far as the comp. scene is concerned.

Let me know when you get the time. I'd be a perfect fit for this position.
    The expectation is that you're able to able to consistently contribute. The amount of time you appear to be willing to commit should be sufficient, as long as you are indeed efficient. If you're interested please submit an application and we can discuss more in depth at a later time.

I wouldn't mind but I also would like to play some tournament games sometime mid September.

Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    The expectation is that you're able to able to consistently contribute. The amount of time you appear to be willing to commit should be sufficient, as long as you are indeed efficient. If you're interested please submit an application and we can discuss more in depth at a later time.
    Done.

Is there a minimum time commitment to this (e.g. 2 months)?

Can I do this if I'm in South East Asia and therefore behind the Garena firewall?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Is there a minimum time commitment to this (e.g. 2 months)?

Can I do this if I'm in South East Asia and therefore behind the Garena firewall?
    We're looking for people that are going to want to contribute to growing the HoN scene for the long term. Someone who comes in, learns the ropes, then disappears after a month or two isn't really going to be ideal for this.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Great
    Last edited by l0l000l0; 08-09-2014 at 08:20 AM.

19.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #19
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    If you didn't get a response by now, you weren't accepted.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

HoN Tour Admin | Hontour.com

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    As for Writers, all applicants will receive response, in either case, by tomorrow.