Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Most underrated and overrated items

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Most underrated and overrated items

Which items and why?

I've always thought that 2200 Barbed Armor is underrated. Return 80% damage taken as true damage is mathematically sick. However it is situatioanl, circumstantial and rarely purchased. Is rare to see it farther than Pharaoh, Lodestone.... As there are lot of heavier items, nobody give it a chance. Me neither xD

As overrated I have more canditates. Maybe since Dawnbringer appearance I vote for Frostwolf Skull. 6200 and not usefull for what it brings than others like dawnbringer, Behemoth Heart, Symbol.... seems to me a little bit overrated for several ones, even in competitive where its still purchased.

Underrated = Wards

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Overrated = Dawnbringer
    Underrated =

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Overrated: Dawnbringer.
    Finish any of the 3 pieces as the Blessed Orb itself nearly balances it out, and the Geo / Burn / Slow is too much to pass up for easily on of the worst attack modifiers in the game. Unless you're doing the Dawnbringer Challenge (Build 3 Orbs then 3 Swords then all 3 Final Pieces) whats the use? 6600 Gold for a little more movespeed a little more slow and a little more regen/burn when you can get Illusions that deal 33% Base Damage, A Purge, Disjoint, Invulnerability or a Skull with Massive Raw stats, a strong AS Slow, MS Slow or a Grimoire to help farm much harder and scale a little better. What a load of garbage.

Underrated: Nullfire Blade
    The item is easy to build, adds a lot of damage to heroes and has a few nifty thigns about it. A Purge / Slow combo which can be used to snag escapes and free assists, a mana burn to shut down intensive heroes from dealing a second cycle of spells (Hammer for instance), and a good amount of Intelligence. The item is invaluable against certain heroes (Jer, Slither, Hellbringer) and it even works with Illusions, making it strong on people who should be buying Geos like Flint, Gunblade and such.

God, Nullfire Blade makes me so hard.
    She strode through Sigil and none dared stand before; whether it was reverence or fear, she was always more.
    Existing beyond planes, a being above all; no angers, hatreds or grudge filled her hall.
    And with hushed voices people went to claim; but no one dares to call her, the Lady of Pain.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubaris View Post
    Overrated: Dawnbringer.
    Finish any of the 3 pieces as the Blessed Orb itself nearly balances it out, and the Geo / Burn / Slow is too much to pass up for easily on of the worst attack modifiers in the game. Unless you're doing the Dawnbringer Challenge (Build 3 Orbs then 3 Swords then all 3 Final Pieces) whats the use? 6600 Gold for a little more movespeed a little more slow and a little more regen/burn when you can get Illusions that deal 33% Base Damage, A Purge, Disjoint, Invulnerability or a Skull with Massive Raw stats, a strong AS Slow, MS Slow or a Grimoire to help farm much harder and scale a little better. What a load of garbage.

Underrated: Nullfire Blade
    The item is easy to build, adds a lot of damage to heroes and has a few nifty thigns about it. A Purge / Slow combo which can be used to snag escapes and free assists, a mana burn to shut down intensive heroes from dealing a second cycle of spells (Hammer for instance), and a good amount of Intelligence. The item is invaluable against certain heroes (Jer, Slither, Hellbringer) and it even works with Illusions, making it strong on people who should be buying Geos like Flint, Gunblade and such.

God, Nullfire Blade makes me so hard.
    I agree so much on too! I always talks about this item with the effect it does. People just picks it up on Typed because it is my favorite item in the game

Account Icon
    Overrated: Runed cleaver
    Underrated: Puzzlebox

I will vote again, as an addition. Briefly:

Overrated: Nome's Wisdom

Underrated: Barrier Idol

Special mention: Stormspirit because of his high cost.

Overrated:
    Underrated:

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    underrated:
    overrated: /

Quote Originally Posted by Ceriss View Post
    underrated:

+9000

overrated :
    underrated :

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Le_CarroT View Post
    overrated :
    underrated :
    I hate when people at the 40 Minute Mark are like
    'We need a Shieldbreaker guys!'

I don't think they understand how Armour works or scales.
    She strode through Sigil and none dared stand before; whether it was reverence or fear, she was always more.
    Existing beyond planes, a being above all; no angers, hatreds or grudge filled her hall.
    And with hushed voices people went to claim; but no one dares to call her, the Lady of Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubaris View Post
    I hate when people at the 40 Minute Mark are like
    'We need a Shieldbreaker guys!'

I don't think they understand how Armour works or scales.
    What about a % armor ignore?

Underrated: Mana Battery, Void Talisman, Barbed armor, Charged Hammer
    Overrated: Savage Mace

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Breo View Post
    What about a % armor ignore?
    What do you mean? You mean like in conjunction with Rally's Battle Experience? % Takes place after the Flat Reduction. So If you have 15 Armour and reduce their armour by 3, then 50% it, they are at 6 Armour. If you had the same Battle Experience but not -3 Armour they would be at 7.5, not a huge deal.

There is no % Armour Ignore on an item though so I'm unsure about the question.

Armour is a flat numerical value, which then translates to a % Reduction. Due to it being a logarithmic increase, higher amounts of armour are less and less effective. For example, going from 0 to 5 Armour would be approximately a 25% Physical Reduction from 0%, but doing a same jump from 30 to 35 armour would only be about 6-8% (I can't access the thingy now), so from ~58 to about 64% reduction.

That being said, when a player has Lower Armour, Shieldbreaker is much more effective. However as the game goes on, many Agility heroes get significant amoutns of armour from Agility, which makes SB quite worthless as you're dropping a high value to a still high value and not gaining as much % as if they were still at 0 or 10 Armour. Thats why I hate late game SB pickups. Utterly worthless. I guess if you stack a lot of -Armour and get them below 0 it could work but as a standalone item, no way.

EDIT: More information can be found down in the Mechanics Section, I think under Lists and Guides.
    Last edited by Hubaris; 10-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Underrated: , and . TP can save ur life, save the tower etc. No need to mention the role of the wards. Without them game is 80% lost. And with void of talisman, u can avoid huge amount of damage. Saw a guy using it once, he fascinated me. When u know how to use it, it can save your ass many times
    Overrated: . Many times, on our way to get it, we either get killed and they take it, either we miss the chance for pushing or smth like that. Not big fan of it !

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Underrated:
    Overrated: (dawn)

@Guy above me - Don't forget that gives you -4.5 (or something) magic armor, so it can go badly if you're not aware of the negative aspects of the item! (I agree that it's still underrated though)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Overrated: Dawnbringer for sure. The sad thing is, when I ask players why they build it, most of the time they don't even have an answer. x)

Underrated: Icon of the G.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

|Training Grounds Moderator | Support (1st/2nd)/Suicide Ringer For 1700-1800+ Scrims | Cupcake Baker ☆彡

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Katieeee View Post
    Overrated: Dawnbringer for sure. The sad thing is, when I ask players why they build it, most of the time they don't even have an answer. x)

Underrated: Icon of the G.
    When did they Add the Gift of the Goddess (the GG Buff) to the item?
    I swear it was like ninja patched in or something.

DR hasn't been so fun since that moment.

Overrated =

Underrated =