Thread: Karma System

View Poll Results: Would you like to see something like the "karma" system put into the game?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 30.00%
  • No

42 70.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

Karma System

What is it?
    A simple system of points that will display the community's opinion towards that player, which will allow/prevent certain things.

Why do it?
    Any player's specific amount of karma will serve as a well representation of what the community thinks of him/her. This would aid in making sure you play with people that will make your gaming experience more enjoyable, and it would help weed out the people that would make your gaming experience less enjoyable.

How does it work?

Certain things would add/remove different values to a person's karma level.

Things that would increase your karma level include(these numbers are just an example):

Completing a game (possibly more for playing with less than a full team) :: +1

Getting +karma-ed (being a good team player, helping someone out in the forums etc.) :: +whatever

Successful vote kicks :: +whatever

Things that would decrease your karma level include(these numbers are just an example):

Leaving a game :: -3

Having a post on the forums deleted :: -5

Being -karma-ed (bad team player, feeder, wont stop annoying others in game)

Unsuccessful vote kicks

What would high levels of karma allow me to do?
    Only players with above a certain karma level would be allow to start vote kicks, remakes(hmmmmmm), and pauses.

Why would low levels of karma prevent me from doing?
    Having low karma levels would result in not being able to use chat, neither voice nor type. You would not be able to start any sort of ingame vote. Players would not want to play with you because the community does not like you.
    EDIT also maybe preventing access to the forums.

Can't this system be abused?
    This system would allow each player a certain number of votes per week. This would also prevent you from using all your +/-karma on one person.
    EDIT forgot to add that one player would only be able to recieve 3+/3- karma from karma votes per week, this does not include any other forms of +/- karma

That is all I can think of for now, I'm sure I will think of something to add later.

Cool guys give a reason why they voted.
    Last edited by Bindin; 12-02-2009 at 07:13 PM.

OP,
    ******* noob.

mods, i accidently voted no and it counted multiple times, HALP

you ******* idiots are voting no when this is the best thing that could happen to this game to prevent stat whore ****s from ruining it. gj

Quote Originally Posted by yedi View Post
    OP,
    ******* noob.
    what a constructive and mature way to respond..

OnT: I like the core idea. Not so sure about the restrictions though.. Not being able to use chat means you wouldn't be able to call out missing and such. I still like the idea of being able to give +- karma to people, but maybe it would be better as just a "stat", rather than something that makes you able or unable to do certain things?

Know what else prevents people from ruining the game.
    The fact that only people who pay for the game will be playing it.

Even if you only get a certain amount of distributed karma per week or w/e, it could still be organized by friends or clans to systematically -karma a person.

Know what else we don't need, more stats for people to judge others on, seeing as judging based on stats is what causes the problem in the first place.
    Last edited by ShadowsCrush; 12-02-2009 at 05:46 PM.

it worked well for counter-strike 1.6 (ESEA), and it can work well in here.

Account Icon
    No, you can't measure things like this in points. It's just too subject to opinion.

Account Icon
    OnT: I like the core idea. Not so sure about the restrictions though.. Not being able to use chat means you wouldn't be able to call out missing and such.
    Well, I see how you are looking at it, I was more thinking along the lines of talking **** to the other team or whatever. Even though the other players can ignore them, it will make them rage a lot harder knowing that there is zero chance of them being able to say anything towards them in "all" chat.

, but maybe it would be better as just a "stat", rather than something that makes you able or unable to do certain things?
    If there were no restrictions, there would be no incentive to gain karma. Players who are respected should be rewarded, and players who are not should be "punished"

Account Icon
    No, i'm sry, but the whole concept of a community rating people can't work imo.

Account Icon
    Know what else we don't need, more stats for people to judge others on, seeing as judging based on stats is what causes the problem in the first place.
    Yes, but any smart minded person would be able to notice that you can play carries every game just to get your K up or whatever, but still be a horrible team player. I know when I join a game I don't automatically hate everyone, the fact that they are horrible team players/feeders cause me to hate them. This would eliminate me/you from having to play with these types of people.

Stats didn't cause problems in the first place. If you played DotA, you would remember that there were no stats. The DotA community was and is still a community filled up with 90% bad people. This could possibly help the situation with such a horrible community.

It's a good concept, but fundamentally flawed.

Abusable in so many ways, I don't think it'd work. You can't forget people are bastards.

As Isin said; It's far too subject to opinion.

Not to mention you could gather a group of friends together and just Karma rape a target. Then that person no longer has any privelages in game. Good way to spite someone that beat you in a game, no? Or just someone you don't like.

Account Icon
    i like that you get karma for kicking dudes? lets start a karma and kick fest!
    btw i voted no since its way to easy to abuse and just lol dump someones karma.

Account Icon
    i like that you get karma for kicking dudes? lets start a karma and kick fest!.
    It would help if you could actually read and comprehend things and/or speak proper English.

I voted yes. This type of system and matchmaking might actually make most games fun.

No I disagree with it. It is a great idea in theory, but I have seen this kind of thing implemented in other games and it is constantly abused. For example someone gets annoyed for no good reason at someone else (eg a noobie playing in a "noobs only match", and not doing too well), and hurling insults at them. The noobie quite rightly gives negative karma. The abusive player then also gives negative karma, and tells the 20 people on his buddy list to also give the newbie negative karma. They then get all the people on their buddy list to give them positive karma the next day to more than make up for the negative karma the newbie gave them. Now the newbie through no fault of his own looks like the one with bad karma, and the douche has a high karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadam View Post
    No I disagree with it. It is a great idea in theory, but I have seen this kind of thing implemented in other games and it is constantly abused. For example someone gets annoyed for no good reason at someone else (eg a noobie playing in a "noobs only match", and not doing too well), and hurling insults at them. The noobie quite rightly gives negative karma. The abusive player then also gives negative karma, and tells the 20 people on his buddy list to also give the newbie negative karma. They then get all the people on their buddy list to give them positive karma the next day to more than make up for the negative karma the newbie gave them. Now the newbie through no fault of his own looks like the one with bad karma, and the douche has a high karma.
    Limit the power to +/-karma to people you have played against and it works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDavion View Post
    Limit the power to +/-karma to people you have played against and it works fine...
    Until the rest of the people on the team are the douchebags clan buddies, poor newbie gets -4 karma, douchebag gets +karma from his clan buddies every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadam View Post
    Until the rest of the people on the team are the douchebags clan buddies, poor newbie gets -4 karma, douchebag gets +karma from his clan buddies every day.
    Meh poor noob puts out 4 -karmas and recieves a -4 himself. This seems fair. Buddies can only get 1 +karma from each other, so thats balanced.

This system would work.